Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 25, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #616 of 4,790
  I'm going to have my DT1990's recabled to use with balanced amplifiers. But first I need to buy a balanced amp. Burning money. 

Don't really know if it will give any improvement in the sound if they are like the older DT-770/880/990 where I made them dual inlet cables so they could be run balanced, it made no difference in the sound to me or my friends that I did the mods for.  Balanced amps that were use: Liquid Carbon, Liquid Glass, AudioGD Master 11, and WA22.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #617 of 4,790
I think you will like either. I haven't decided on my T1's yet, I will likely get a better amp for them sometime. I do like their tonality and timber a lot, better than the Focal Elear I'm currently trying out which doesn't quite sound quite as natural as the Tesla Beyers to me. And depending on your system it will help determine how much higher fidelity it will sound compared to the DT 1990/Amiron most likely. My main headphones are the T1.2, Nighthawk, and HD 650 currently. My DT 1770 is out of commission otherwise it would take the Nighthawks role most likely. I meant to get it fixed, stupid headband wire.

Btw, the head band is easy to fix. Just loosen rhe four screws on the headband ends and shift the cushion that it is centered and fix the plastic end pieces again. 5 min of work.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #618 of 4,790
  I personally would take the DT 1990 over the HD 650, it is a better headphone than the HD 650 imho. The DT 1990 is more dynamic and lively(and more euphoric and musical to my ears) sounding, the HD 650 is a more relaxed listen and isn't quite as articulate, fast, and detailed as the DT 1990. Both have excellent vocal and instrument tonality and timbre and both scale up a lot with gear. Neither are fatiguing to my ears either. Basically the DT 1990 will energize and make you engaged while listening, spicing things up a bit, think of a lively and fun person that you never get sick of and like being around. The HD 650 is a more relaxed and calming sound, think of a relaxed and chill person you never get sick of and like being around.

Well I received my replacement DT 1990's and put the analytical pads on right away.  I like them better with these pads mainly because it gives me a different sound signature then the HD 650.  It definitely compliments them nicely.  I feel with the balanced pads there are pretty similar.  I'm keeping both because it's a lot easier to grab a set of headphones compared to swapping pads on the DT1990's.

You description of the two is spot on for sure.  My first set of Beyer's and I'm enjoying them immensely.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #619 of 4,790
If it's true the the 1990s sound like the T1.2s but with a sweeter midrange and smoother treble, that must be a fantastic sounding can.  I am currently evaluating the T1.2 along with the Focal Elear.  I've owned the HD 650s twice in the past (wish I would have kept them).  The T1.2s definitely have a leg up on the Elears in terms of tone/timbre, so if the DT 1990s take the tone/timbre a step further while maintaining the excitement and drive of the T1.2s, that should be a very enticing and addicting sound.  For some reason the Elears haven't been sucking me in like the T1.2s, despite the somewhat aggressive treble of the T1.2s.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #620 of 4,790
As a DT880 owner, the DT1990 is specifically the next headphone I plan on buying next. I am currently saving for this puppy. It will take a while to get there. :frowning2: It appears to be a huge step up from the 880 in every single way.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #621 of 4,790
Posted this on the BT thread but felt it'd might be of interest to folks on this thread. I've tried my fair share of BT cans but there simply aren't any open-backed ones (to the best of my knowledge and believe me I've searched). So, I started looking for aptX receivers and tried this Avantree version that also features Low Latency and built-in amp:

Thus far, it's worked phenomenally well and drives the DT 1990's reasonably loud. I pair it with their Priva II (which also features aptX Low Latency) and I can't detect any lag whatsoever while watching movies or during FPS. I clip the Rx to my shirt/jacket collar and have freedom to walk away from my desk while keeping my HP on. If there is one wish is that they could have a slightly larger version in the future with better battery life (I've ranged between 3.5-5 hrs depending on sources and whether or not I've had music/sound playing continuously).

As much as I enjoy the sound wired out of my SB E5, I do enjoy the freedom of not being tethered even more. :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #624 of 4,790

Thanks.  I like the fact that the mic cable has the ability to switch between ios and android.  I decided to order one of each for use with all my portable gear.

I'm really liking the DT 1990's with the analytical pads.  Very dynamic and detailed.  It can be a little hot in the treble at times compared to my reference headphones Audio Zenith PMx2's.  Overall though a very worthy headphone that can revival any in it's class.  I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #625 of 4,790

Here is the inside of the DT 1990, seems to be the same as the DT 1770 except with the holes as shown and a couple other minor differences. Dampening on the driver itself seems exactly the same.

Looking at these again, Beyer seems to have reduced the cup venting to half of what DT880/990pro get, hahaha.  I wonder if these headphones' successors will have even less.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #627 of 4,790
If Beyer goes "open", they only ever make semi-open headphones so far, it seems.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #630 of 4,790
Negative.  T1 and T5p are the only ones with angled drivers among Beyers so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back