Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #3,901 of 4,790
Apr 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,902 of 4,790
Look what Hart Audio Cables delivered today for my Clears and the 1770/1990s.

2021-04-19 15.56.56.jpg

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #3,903 of 4,790
I got my DT 1990s today and have used for a couple songs. Nothing has played out as I expected.

First impression is that these are nowhere near as bright as I feared. Not sibilant one bit either, even songs that just beg to piece your ears LIKE THIS. I don't even find them "sharp" sounding either. I honestly at a loss of words. Everything I've read just panned out. It's the boogeyman that never existed for me in use. I could actually use a treble boost and would be fine with it, no joke. I don't have any hearing loss and have always taken care of my hearing too, so the "brightness" isn't just something I can deal with because brighter headphones fill that in.

I would say that I'm slightly disappointed with the soundstage ATM though. I often feel that with headphones, they are too narrow sounding or they have this effect of being too close to a speaker or them being too loud and things become unintelligible as a result. Maybe I have been jaded more than I really know after using my JBL LSR305's on everything for years (they are known for having a really wide waveguide). Am I really that soundstage whore that puts soundstage above everything else? Didn't like the KRK 8400 (waaaaay too compressed sounding), didn't like the DT 770 (much wider, but synthetic quality to the entire sound that distracts), didn't like the HD6XX (completely misses the soundstage mark e). I'm starting to wonder now. I want huge as hell, every single track isolated. This Hymn For The Weekend remix kind of illustrates the point: it's not a very wide song, but the first couple seconds it uses a lot of reverb and such to appear much larger. That intro sounds wide as **** with my LSR's. Am I insane?

I'm legit looking at HD700 now because they are supposed to be large soundstage headphones with a similar price. The ultimate pain of living in Vermont is there is nowhere to demo anything out. Driving to another state seems a bit ridiculous and would be stressful, but I never know!
I've had the HD700 and it's not the OMG sound stage moment like the HD800s was. Get an old Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (not the X version, the new ones are horrible) if sub bass isn't important, or the Amiron Home has a great sound stage (deep and wide) and detail if you don't mind recessed mids. The AKG K7xx was too boomy in the bass and too few details to use for long, sound stage was wide and deep but the lack of detail ruined the party for me. If you get the HD700 be sure to get the Modhouse foam kit, for $15 is brings up the bass and down on the treble just 2db about. I've installed them and it's worth it, I have a spare kit here waiting for the next HD700 to arrive. It's good, but not Amiron Home good for soundstage...

May 3, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,904 of 4,790
So, I have just received my re-purchased DT 1990s and... I have said a lot of times this here, in the forum... Guys, do me a favor and listen to "Pink Floyd's - Dark side of the moon" with the 1990s. For me is the perfect sound, I don't know if I will ever find another pair of headphones that best them with this album...

Edit: Right now, I'm listening to "Dark Sanctuary - Thoughts: 9 years in the Sanctuary" (a compilation) -neoclassical, dark ambient genre- and like I remembered it sound incredible and I say you more: I've never enjoyed properly this album with any headphones (for example, with HD 800 I can't stand the treble). The balanced pads raise the bass the exact ammount to really appreciate and make it enjoyable. I'm sure they are absolute keepers. I won't make the same mistake again...

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,905 of 4,790
Does anyone have experience with the Dekoni pads? I'm looking for close to stock sound but without the sparkly highs

May 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,907 of 4,790
May 20, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,908 of 4,790
Dekoni Elite Velour do a pretty good job of taming the highs. The bass sits between the A and B pads.
I agree, but the price paid is that transients are dulled. Not a good trade-off IMO. I much prefer the Analytical pads. I can't tolerate the Balanced pads.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #3,909 of 4,790
Hear, hear.

Surely that’s the whole point of getting DT1990s….

May 20, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #3,910 of 4,790
Does anyone have experience with the Dekoni pads? I'm looking for close to stock sound but without the sparkly highs
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/foam-disc-amiron-wireless.html

Get a set of those first. (You can order them from BeyerD USA by emailing parts, or by phone, get the part number from that link) I find they do an excellent job at dealing with the peaks, yet keep the sound signature intact. A pads + these = no EQ needed.

The Elite Velours are close to stock sig, but you will need to EQ to restore some of the mids. The Elite Hybrids deviate even more, but will passively boost the lows. I have an EQ for them for EQ APO if you get these.

May 20, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,911 of 4,790

Get a set of those first. (You can order them from BeyerD USA by emailing parts, or by phone, get the part number from that link) I find they do an excellent job at dealing with the peaks, yet keep the sound signature intact. A pads + these = no EQ needed.

The Elite Velours are close to stock sig, but you will need to EQ to restore some of the mids. The Elite Hybrids deviate even more, but will passively boost the lows. I have an EQ for them for EQ APO if you get these.
Ok, finally available again... I'm going to order a pair... Thank you very much.

What about using them with B pads? There will be a change in the signature? I want to feel some similar to the T 1.3 bass :relaxed:

Edit: ordered... I will put my impressions when they arrive :L3000: At the end, the internal system discounted me the VAT when I put there where I'm from... They lost a sale (I finally ordered the 1990 Pro via Thomann) because when I contacted them, they informed me that VAT would not be discounted.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,912 of 4,790
Foam disc + elite velour performes the best for me. Just increase the total volume level by 5 db and you get the transitent back

May 25, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #3,913 of 4,790

I just ordered a pair of discs :relaxed:

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #3,915 of 4,790
I can confirm I like the analytical pad + amiron disc the best after trying both the elite hybrid and fenerated sheepskin pads :dt880smile:

BpxCJfe.jpg
Have you tried the balanced pads with the foam discs?

Beyer canceled my order because they don't ship to Canary islands. I requested to a friend that resides in Iberian Peninsule to purchase them for me and bring when he comes here -next month-. Today he received the items (Amiron foam pads and some fixing rings) and he will come here in july... So... I have to wait a little to try that supposed "marvellous" foam pads. I'll report here when I try them.

I'm so happy that I decided to re-buy the 1990 Pro. I'm enjoying them a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back