Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,331 of 4,790
Then there is the DT-1990 on Hybrid pads, which passively boost the bass and subbass to bass cannon levels. With some EQ work, you can have A pad performance w/o the treble peak and have bass levels that any bass lover would want. And since the bass is boosted passively, you don't cause it to bleed into the mids or bloom by having the drivers do all the work.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #3,332 of 4,790
Then there is the DT-1990 on Hybrid pads, which passively boost the bass and subbass to bass cannon levels. With some EQ work, you can have A pad performance w/o the treble peak and have bass levels that any bass lover would want. And since the bass is boosted passively, you don't cause it to bleed into the mids or bloom by having the drivers do all the work.
Actually that really does appeal to me. Could you send me a link to the hybrid pads?

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3,333 of 4,790
So how are these for multi genre listening with a Hugo 2. The only thing that worries me is the treble peaks mentioned in reviews
hugo 2 adds a bit of warmth should be good pair with dt 1990.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,334 of 4,790
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3,335 of 4,790
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #3,337 of 4,790
I tried a set of ZMF protein on my DT 1990 and I simply did not like the sound at all compared to my Dekoni Elite Hybrid. The sound became kind of muffled, and it made the bass less punchy. Anyhow, as always ymmv since this is all subjective.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,338 of 4,790
I was watching the review from zeos about the TYGR 300 R and he said. Finaly beyer find a way to tame their highs. And showed the fleece infront of the driver. And i thought wait a minute. That fleece looks nice its more paded in the middle after a bit of research i saw on the official website their own description of the fleece

"Even the sound is optimized for an ultimate wearing comfort. The integrated acoustic-fleece prevents fatigue due to sharp heights, since it levels the high frequencies without any loss of detail"

Here is a picture were you can see the fleece
Screenshot_20200729-184425_Chrome.jpg

I was looking at the spare parts. And there are no parts for the tygr. So i called beyer and asked friendly and they gave me the article number to order it via mail.

I ordered now 4 pairs of the fleece they are 3 dollar each

I think this could help the 1990 with the highs i will tell you guys after i tried them

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,339 of 4,790
I've had my 1990s for 2 weeks now. For about the first week, I left the balanced pads on then switched to the Dekoni Elite Velour for the past week and have been happy with the sound. Last night, I decided to give the analytical pads a try, since so many people seem to really like them. To my ears, immediate and very noticeable improvement! The 1990 now sounds much more "alive" and musical. For the first time, in my experience, it feels like I'm listening to music instead of headphones! I'd been worried about the reported loss in bass response but have found that to be very minimal. The gains with the A pads for me far outweigh any small bass reduction, which I'm not really noticing much anyway. The 1990 now sounds very much equal to its cost. Previously, although liking the 1990, I've truthfully been a bit underwhelmed at times. So happy with having mounted the A pads that I stayed up until 2 am listening to music streamed on Qobuz via Audirvana and am back to listening this morning! If interested, a listen to the 18 minute album Wandering by Yosi Horikawa is a pretty exciting and unique headphone experience!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #3,340 of 4,790
I was watching the review from zeos about the TYGR 300 R and he said. Finaly beyer find a way to tame their highs. And showed the fleece infront of the driver. And i thought wait a minute. That fleece looks nice its more paded in the middle after a bit of research i saw on the official website their own description of the fleece

"Even the sound is optimized for an ultimate wearing comfort. The integrated acoustic-fleece prevents fatigue due to sharp heights, since it levels the high frequencies without any loss of detail"
I was looking at the spare parts. And there are no parts for the tygr. So i called beyer and asked friendly and they gave me the article number to order it via mail.

I ordered now 4 pairs of the fleece they are 3 dollar each

I think this could help the 1990 with the highs i will tell you guys after i tried them

Thanks for the info on this. You mind sharing the article number needed for ordering this please? Thank you.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #3,341 of 4,790
Thanks for the info on this. You mind sharing the article number needed for ordering this please? Thank you.
Article number is 934208

You have to mail
spareparts@beyerdynamic.de

tell them your adress and the articel number

Im not sure if they come in pairs or single. I just ordered 4

Price is 2.10 euro without tax

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,342 of 4,790
I've had my 1990s for 2 weeks now. For about the first week, I left the balanced pads on then switched to the Dekoni Elite Velour for the past week and have been happy with the sound. Last night, I decided to give the analytical pads a try, since so many people seem to really like them. To my ears, immediate and very noticeable improvement! The 1990 now sounds much more "alive" and musical. I'd been worried about the reported loss in bass response but have found that to be very minimal. The gains with the A pads for me far outweigh any small bass reduction, which I'm not really noticing much anyway. The 1990 now sounds very much equal to its cost. Previously, although liking the 1990, I've truthfully been a bit underwhelmed at times. So happy with having mounted the A pads that I stayed up until 2 am listening to music streamed on Qobuz via Audirvana and am back to listening this morning! If interested, a listen to the 18 minute album Wandering by Yosi Horikawa is a pretty exciting and unique headphone experience!

There's just something about the body, clarity, and 'pop' of the A pads that is addicting. I've said elsewhere in this thread that the A-pad 1990s are pretty much exactly what I want in a headphone. They certainly aren't perfect - they can be sibilant at times (though not nearly as much as my 990s were), the bass doesn't extend as deep as something like the Sivga Phoenix phones I got this week, and certain songs can sound 'brittle' at higher volumes - but man, the sound just leaps out of them across the entire frequency spectrum.

The more heapdhones I use, the more I appreciate both the different flavors those headphones have to offer AND just how much I enjoy the 1990s.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #3,343 of 4,790
I just did a complete upgrade of my headphone system; source, DAC and amp. The sound with my usual Analytical pads improved significantly.

I thought I would give the Elite Velour pads another try, however, once again, I was disappointed. The biggest improvement in the new system with the Analytical pads was the transient attack, which is exactly where the Dekonis failed; PRaT decreased, an unforgivable offence for my preferences. I did not bother mounting the Balanced pads, as I know I don't like what they do to the sound, and their tonal failings would not be improved with the new gear.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,344 of 4,790
I just did a complete upgrade of my headphone system; source, DAC and amp. The sound with my usual Analytical pads improved significantly.

I thought I would give the Elite Velour pads another try, however, once again, I was disappointed. The biggest improvement in the new system with the Analytical pads was the transient attack, which is exactly where the Dekonis failed; PRaT decreased, an unforgivable offence for my preferences. I did not bother mounting the Balanced pads, as I know I don't like what they do to the sound, and their tonal failings would not be improved with the new gear.
for me the analytic pads somehow sound grainy and thin

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,345 of 4,790
Two questions for y'all:
  1. Where would be the best place to find genuine replacement earpads for the 1990s, especially the analytical ones.
  2. What other pair(s) of headphones do you own that you consider to be better than your 1990s in terms of sound stage and bass delivery or other characteristics important to you.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back