Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,716 of 4,771
Anyone here with both the discontinued T90 (or T70) and DT 1770/1990 who can comment on whether the way the headband cushion is attached to the metal band is at all similar?
The cushion on my T90 has started flaking so I'm looking for a replacement and considering the model has been out of production for years, spare parts aren't so easily available so I've started looking at possible alternatives and the DT 1770/1990 headband looks to be of good quality. From what I can tell, it looks like the cushion flips in to place on the underside of the band as opposed to the top of the band, but I'm unsure of how it clips into the plastic pieces that keep the ear cups attached to the headband.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,717 of 4,771
Anyone here with both the discontinued T90 (or T70) and DT 1770/1990 who can comment on whether the way the headband cushion is attached to the metal band is at all similar?
The cushion on my T90 has started flaking so I'm looking for a replacement and considering the model has been out of production for years, spare parts aren't so easily available so I've started looking at possible alternatives and the DT 1770/1990 headband looks to be of good quality. From what I can tell, it looks like the cushion flips in to place on the underside of the band as opposed to the top of the band, but I'm unsure of how it clips into the plastic pieces that keep the ear cups attached to the headband.
Have you tried talking to Beyerdynamic direct? I understand they still have a lot of spare parts for their older units, or they can recommend another replacement.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #2,719 of 4,771
What would you say is a closed-back pair of headphones that shares the DT1990's sound signature? It might be the T5p 2nd gen or the DT1770, but that's not obviously the case. Is there a closed back pair of headphones - at any price - that has the same frequency range, detail retrieval, and resolution? Just curious.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,720 of 4,771
What would you say is a closed-back pair of headphones that shares the DT1990's sound signature? It might be the T5p 2nd gen or the DT1770, but that's not obviously the case. Is there a closed back pair of headphones - at any price - that has the same frequency range, detail retrieval, and resolution? Just curious.
Elegia would be close. Super different sound though.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #2,722 of 4,771
It is, but ticks a few other boxes.

TH900 MK2 is an extreme option. Might be a bit too V though.

I don't know much about them, but an Ultrasone model maybe. So many models to sift through...

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,723 of 4,771
The T5p is very bright and yet not ear-fatigue and no sibilance. The bass is a bit lean on the T5p tho.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #2,724 of 4,771
Yes. I was told they do not deliver directly to the country I'm located in. I find it quite strange that they don't deliver to most of Europe.

Yes, I live in Czech Republic right next door... I cannot order from Beyer either.

Sometimes Thomann.de can help but their service which was once amazing has been going downhill fast lately.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #2,725 of 4,771
I just joined the club about a half hour ago, and bought a DT1990 Pro. I am currently an Amiron Home owner, which I have had for a couple years now. I wanted to grab another headphone with a more energetic and detailed sound signature. I am looking forward to getting it. If anyone wants, I can put up a comparison between my Amiron and the DT1990 when it shows up. To be fair, I will give the DT1990 at least 20 hours of burn in time before I give an assessment on it.

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #2,726 of 4,771
The T5p is very bright and yet not ear-fatigue and no sibilance. The bass is a bit lean on the T5p tho.

You can always drill another bass port to increase the bass lol

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #2,728 of 4,771
If anyone wants, I can put up a comparison between my Amiron and the DT1990 when it shows up. To be fair, I will give the DT1990 at least 20 hours of burn in time before I give an assessment on it.
Definitely, but before posting you should try both sets of pads with the DT 1990. The ear pads change the sound substantially.

I had the Amiron in house for two weeks about a year and a half ago, but returned them and bought the DT 1990. I use the the DT 1990 with the Analytical pads exclusively. The Amiron is a great headphone, but darker than I prefer.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,729 of 4,771
I just joined the club about a half hour ago, and bought a DT1990 Pro. I am currently an Amiron Home owner, which I have had for a couple years now. I wanted to grab another headphone with a more energetic and detailed sound signature. I am looking forward to getting it. If anyone wants, I can put up a comparison between my Amiron and the DT1990 when it shows up. To be fair, I will give the DT1990 at least 20 hours of burn in time before I give an assessment on it.
For fun, you can try the DT-1990 pads on the Amiron too. :)

Mar 2, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,730 of 4,771
Definitely, but before posting you should try both sets of pads with the DT 1990. The ear pads change the sound substantially.

I had the Amiron in house for two weeks about a year and a half ago, but returned them and bought the DT 1990. I use the the DT 1990 with the Analytical pads exclusively. The Amiron is a great headphone, but darker than I prefer.

I already know I will end up using the analytical pads. I have heard the DT1990 once before. I had about a 30 minute listen with it. This was about 2 years ago. As I do with every headphone, I will put an EQ on the DT1990 as well, to make sure it sounds completely correct. I will then put up that EQ here for anyone to try if they want. Also, to be fair, when I do the comparison between the DT1990 and the Amiron, I will run both at their stock tuning. I have my EQ set that I have used on my Amiron for the last 2 years. If I find the 8kHz peak to be a tad too bright on the 1990, I also have a spare pair of foam inserts from my previous DT 880 Premium 250ohm headphone that I owned a long time ago. When I owned that headphone, I ended up buying a replacement set of pads. I sold the DT880 with those new pads on the headphone. I still have the foam inserts that came with those pads. This should provide an excellent way to reduce that 8kHz region if needed, without changing the signature of the headphone.

I hope everyone else here is enjoying their pair. I am looking forward to getting mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back