Beyerdynamic Custom Studio?
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 73
So um.. can anyone confirm with me how much of an upgrade is the DT1770 or any of the Tesla headphones from the Custom Studio? I really want to know if it's worth upgrading my C.Studios and dishing out all that extra dollar. I already have a good set of monitor speakers, so I just wanna make sure that my headphones are sufficient for home production and home DJing.

I am also quite the audiophile, so sound quality and dynamics are of great value to me, and I do intend to one day purchase a high end soundcard such as the RME Babyface Pro as the cherry on top.

Think of me as an audiophile who likes hifi gear but also has a fetish for pro audio equipment and has been wanting to manipulate/create music for years.

Please only comment if you have experienced the Custom Studio, as it's sound signature as well as performance quality is different from Custom One Pro+, DT770, etc.

Sank you! :)

***For the TLDR people: DT1770 vs Custom Studio: a step up, a floor above, or is it leaping to a different building?

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #32 of 73
So um.. can anyone confirm with me how much of an upgrade is the DT1770 or any of the Tesla headphones from the Custom Studio? I really want to know if it's worth upgrading my C.Studios and dishing out all that extra dollar. I already have a good set of monitor speakers, so I just wanna make sure that my headphones are sufficient for home production and home DJing.

I am also quite the audiophile, so sound quality and dynamics are of great value to me, and I do intend to one day purchase a high end soundcard such as the RME Babyface Pro as the cherry on top.

Think of me as an audiophile who likes hifi gear but also has a fetish for pro audio equipment and has been wanting to manipulate/create music for years.

Please only comment if you have experienced the Custom Studio, as it's sound signature as well as performance quality is different from Custom One Pro+, DT770, etc.

Sank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

***For the TLDR people: DT1770 vs Custom Studio: a step up, a floor above, or is it leaping to a different building?

To my ears it sounded a lot like a better version of the custom studio and quite similar to the new T1 v2 as well. Neutral with a touch of warmth is how i would describe it, much smoother sounding than the dt770 too. You'll also need a good amp to get the best out of them as well.Its definitely a step up but whether its worth paying around 3x the price of the studio or dt770 is hard to say.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #33 of 73
ARGH, well I will finally have some time this week to go and demo the Custom Studio (plus they are now in stock) at my local Guitar Center and now looking into the DT 1770s IDK which I like more:

Custom Studio
  1. "Bass" sound slider (but if the DT 1770 sound better than the sliders could be a negative)
  2. 80Ω easier to drive than 250Ω
  3. 3.5mm plug on both ends of removable cable vs 3 pin mini XLR
  4. Lower price of admission for quality Beyerdynamic goodness

DT 1770 PRO
  1. Superior driver technology
  2. Matter of fact professional look/build (not necessary but a definite plus)
  3. Competes with TOTL for fraction of relative cost

Then again the list goes right out the window when it comes to how they actually sound and feel on my head.... If only Guitar Center also had the DT 1770s on hand for a demo (they carry them but dont keep them in stock at any locations near me)

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #34 of 73
ARGH, well I will finally have some time this week to go and demo the Custom Studio (plus they are now in stock) at my local Guitar Center and now looking into the DT 1770s IDK which I like more:

Custom Studio
  • "Bass" sound slider (but if the DT 1770 sound better than the sliders could be a negative)
  • 80[COLOR=545454]Ω easier to drive than 250Ω[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=545454]3.5mm plug on both ends of removable cable vs 3 pin mini XLR[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=545454]Lower price of admission for quality Beyerdynamic goodness[/COLOR]

DT 1770 PRO
  • Superior driver technology
  • Matter of fact professional look/build (not necessary but a definite plus)
  • Competes with TOTL for fraction of relative cost

Then again the list goes right out the window when it comes to how they actually sound and feel on my head.... If only Guitar Center also had the DT 1770s on hand for a demo (they carry them but dont keep them in stock at any locations near me)

If you love the custom studio you will love the dt1770.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #35 of 73
any updated impressions on these? particularly if anyone has experience vs the DT770 80s which i'm also considering. i'm curious how the bass stacks up on the highest setting vs the 770s and also how much smoother the treble is here. cheers!

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #36 of 73
  any updated impressions on these? particularly if anyone has experience vs the DT770 80s which i'm also considering. i'm curious how the bass stacks up on the highest setting vs the 770s and also how much smoother the treble is here. cheers!

I had both, the custom studios  wreck 770's far as my ears... everythings just tighter more accurate. I did not really like the 770 after I heard these.  These are some of the nicest headphones I've had,  I was satisfied enough with the sound quality I ditched my hd600's for privacy / no sound leaking. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #37 of 73

I had both, the custom studios  wreck 770's far as my ears... everythings just tighter more accurate. I did not really like the 770 after I heard these.  These are some of the nicest headphones I've had,  I was satisfied enough with the sound quality I ditched my hd600's for privacy / no sound leaking. 

if i like big bass and am sensitive to bright/harsh treble, how would these fare vs the dt770-80's on the highest two bass settings? that's really what i'm after if anyone can weigh in.

here in the uk they're available for £140 vs £100 for the 770s.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #38 of 73
  I've yet to hear any of the Senn HD600/650/700/800's but been aching to try em.  

A possible good choice for you would be the AKG K553.  I own the older K550 and love it.  The K5xx series are known for being some of, if not THE best closed headphones in terms of openness.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #39 of 73
This is one old thread!  Like I've said before, shame these don't get more coverage.

So here's my brief take on the Custom One Studio vs my DT880-32 vs my now long gone DT770 Pro-80s.  Keep in mind I'm thinking of the 770s from memory so take that as you will, I did have them for a few years and know them pretty well.

So not quite fair since the 880s are open and the other 2 are closed.  But its what I have on hand and this is an all Beyer comparison :)

My test setup Spotify Premium high res -> Fiio E10K set on high gain, Custom One Studio set on the 2nd lowest bass setting which is the most neutral sounding.

Songs i use and very faimiliar with:  Kraftwerk discography, various symphonic metal, various current pop, Hans Zimmer soundtracks, and Chesky Ultimate Demonstrator APE files using Foobar2k

Highs:
DT880 - highest resolution of the 3 here, very clear slightly elevated with that Beyer signature
Custom One Studio - a tiny bit sibilant like the DT770s but not as much, still very detailed
DT770 - more sibliant than the other 2, slightly more than my AKG K550s which some people complain about

mids:
DT880 - flattest of the 3, most resolution
Custom One Studio - sounds a bit U shaped, but still very good, you can hear some of the lost resolution when using Chesky's files especially
DT770 - most U shaped, close to the One Studio but more recessed so therefore the least resolution

Lows:
DT880 - the lows are between the 2nd and 3rd setting of the Custom One Studio, very tight thanks to being open
Custom One Studio - remember there's a mechanical switch so it's really hard to summarize.  I used the 2nd lightest.  There is a bit of looseness to these but overall still very good.  My only other "bassy" mid-range headphones are the on-ear Amperior and the DT1350 which I believe both have slightly tighter bass.
DT770 - very similiar to the Custom One Studio in terms of tightness though I forget which setting it would be closest to.  My guess is the second bassiest (out of 4)

Soundstage/Openness:
DT880 - open headphones, case closed
Both the Custom One Studio and DT770s are not exactly the most open sounding headphones.  They are probably average in terms of openness. if you want an open sounding closed can look at the various AKG K5xx series (K550,K551,K545,K553).

So in summary:
DT880 - most neutral and most resolution.  My favorite and reference.
Custom One Studio - a more refined DT770, fixes a lot of its problems, slightly U shaped, or if you set the switch to low, reverse L shaped :)
DT770 - I wouldn't bother with these anymore now, to me the One Studios are just better overall.  And they are just as comfortable !

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #40 of 73
just cracked open my pair. love them! never owned a beyer but heard a dt990 at a friends. was always interested in the dt770 model due to reports of great bass. got these for potentially more refined sound overall, sounding very nice out the stx ii soundcard. these fix the things i didn't like in the denon d2000 (sold) & M50s, totally smooth and non fatigueing. i am cranking the bass the maximum with some new dr dre & dj quik music and they are booming. to be fair 3 or 4 is fine for bass, there's plenty of low end. definitely the best pair of headphones i've owned and probably heard, agreeing with my ears. sound placement is very good considering how my ears can just settle with the smooth sound.

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 73
These really do deserve more attention than they get. There is only 1 review on Amazon, although multiple reviews can be found here, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend and the Beyerdynamic site. I just got mine today. I've only listened for just over an hour, but they are as good as I had hoped. I have been looking for closed phones that sound as close as possible to my DT 880-250. I have Senn HD 380 PRO, but they just don't have the detail and clarity as the DT 880. I thought about the ATH-M70X or the ATH-MSR7, but I read too many relatively minor concerns about them. Creaking on the MSR7 and some plastic part failures on the M70X. The Custom Studios are built just as sturdy as my DT 880. They do have a sound similar to my DT 880, with good detail and clarity.

I'm trying to decide between the 2nd and 3rd bass setting. Even the 4th setting is not too bloated and would be great for movies or organ works to bring out the sub bass. BTY, I mainly listen to classical and jazz. I spent the first hour or 2 listening to various classical pieces and haven't even checked out soundstage and instrument placement carefully, but there is tomorrow for that. I was concentrating on detail, clarity and sub bass on some Mozart piano concertos and some organ music. All in all, these are real winners for me.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #42 of 73
  These really do deserve more attention than they get. There is only 1 review on Amazon, although multiple reviews can be found here, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend and the Beyerdynamic site. I just got mine today. I've only listened for just over an hour, but they are as good as I had hoped. I have been looking for closed phones that sound as close as possible to my DT 880-250. I have Senn HD 380 PRO, but they just don't have the detail and clarity as the DT 880. I thought about the ATH-M70X or the ATH-MSR7, but I read too many relatively minor concerns about them. Creaking on the MSR7 and some plastic part failures on the M70X. The Custom Studios are built just as sturdy as my DT 880. They do have a sound similar to my DT 880, with good detail and clarity.

I'm trying to decide between the 2nd and 3rd bass setting. Even the 4th setting is not too bloated and would be great for movies or organ works to bring out the sub bass. BTY, I mainly listen to classical and jazz. I spent the first hour or 2 listening to various classical pieces and haven't even checked out soundstage and instrument placement carefully, but there is tomorrow for that. I was concentrating on detail, clarity and sub bass on some Mozart piano concertos and some organ music. All in all, these are real winners for me.

hope to get your update, as I am in the market again since my k845 AKG's arrived DOA and am looking for a balanced closed set with decent sound stage that can offer me a different experience than my hd598cs can. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 73
  hope to get your update, as I am in the market again since my k845 AKG's arrived DOA and am looking for a balanced closed set with decent sound stage that can offer me a different experience than my hd598cs can. 

I don't plan on doing any critical comparisons to the DT 880 soon. Plus I'm not very good at describing what I am hearing in comparisons. You might want to check out the following reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-custom-studio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAR8VUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/beyerdynamic-custom-studio-headphones
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic/Custom-STUDIO-Headphones-1392652270585.gc#reviews
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/custom-studio.html

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #44 of 73
After listening for about 3 hours, I decided to compare the Custom Studio to my DT 880-250. My DT 880-250 are the last iteration of the Premium with the flat grills that I bought on sale just before the ones with the rounded grills shipped. I only spent about 20-30 minutes comparing the Custom Studio with the thicker Mediabridge cable and with a UGREEN silver plated OFC cable to the DT 880. The music I used was the third movement of Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 by Brendel/Neville Marriner. The piano part is very fast, especially in the last half.

First, I think that I could hear a very small improvement in the Custom Studio with the silver plated OFC cable compared to the Mediabridge cable, but I'm mot completely sure. In any case, the UGREEN cable is very stiff with it's tight braided nylon sheath. The microphonics are bad. Any movement of the cable against my shirt is loud. Comparing to the DT 880, the piano notes are better differentiated (crisper) on the DT 880. To be fair, I was listening to the DT 880 plugged into my Gilmore Lite amp and driven from my X3ii line out. I was listening to the Custom Studio straight from the X3ii. This is how I use both headphones, so this is how I compared them. I didn't concentrate on comparing soundstage, as I don't really care a lot about that. I do care about instrument placement though and they both do well with that. The differences between the Custom Studio and the DT 880 are not really that great. The Custom Studio are very close to the DT 880 for my listening. If I weren't comparing them side by side and hadn't heard either for a couple of days I don't think I would know which one I was listening to. Perhaps I will find a greater difference with Jazz, opera of pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back