Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs. Sennheiser HD 598
Feb 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Noahjaws

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am looking for an upgrade from my old cans, and so far these seem to be my best options.

I mostly listen to Alternative (The Shins), and Indie Rock (Two Door Cinema Club).  I love the look of both, but i also noticed you are able to customize the One Pro's. 

But looks arent what i mainly want.  I want clear sound quality with a good soundstage.  I dont want any part of the headphones over powering another, and i hear that the HD 598s are light on the bass.  

I can get both for $200 each... so,

Have any of you ever given both of these a try?

Anyone who has used the Custom One's:

[size=1em] "Custom Sound Slider[/size]
[size=small] The Custom sound slider is your tool for maximum listening customization. Flexible bass reflex vents on the earcups change the headphones' sound characteristic in four stages. When the vents are closed, they keep the transducer membranes under strict control, which produces a streamlined, analytical sound. However, with every notch on the slider, the Custom One Pro adds another layer of bass until the wearer can literally feel the air pumping out of the headphones thanks to the ultra-light velocity transducer.[/size]

[size=small] The result is thundering bass of unimaginable proportions, primarily because there is no equalizer in the amplifier to manipulate the frequency. The Custom One Pro delivers this powerful sound on its own, without difficulty and without distortion. The throbbing beat machine can just as quickly be turned into sophisticated headphones for your home stereo system. Or a control monitor for listening in on a jam session in your rehearsal space. Perfectly in-tune with every mood and every musical genre--this is the result of beyerdynamic's decades of experience as a studio and stage audio equipment supplier.[/size]

[size=1em] Custom Noise Isolation[/size]
[size=small] A side effect of the innovative sound slider is that it transforms the Custom One Pro incrementally from an open to a closed headphone. Noise pollution, such as droning airplane engines or street noise, is kept out and is no longer a source of irritation. Moreover, this noise isolation feature is much more pleasant than electronic noise-cancellation. There is no uncomfortable feeling of pressure against your ears and the headphones do not require additional batteries."[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Do both of those really work as advertised?[/size]

[size=small] I will be driving either headphone from my iphone 4s with a C&C BH or Fiio E6. (Do they need to have an amp?)[/size]

[size=small] I am currently leaning towards the Custom Ones right now.[/size]

[size=small] By the way... I am very (and i mean very) indecisive.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks[/size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 9
No, neither headphone necessarily needs an amp.

I won't try to convince you one way or the other because I haven't personally listened to either the COP or the HD598 but I'm surprised that you consider these two to be your best options seeing as they are completely different. In fact they're pretty much polar opposites. One is closed (good isolation), bass-heavy, U-shaped cans while the other is fully open (no isolation) and relatively bass-light.

Personally I don't think the COP is an ideal headphone for your music genres. That said, I think you need to look further into your particular needs. Lets start with the obvious-- do you need isolation?

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 9
No, neither headphone necessarily needs an amp.

I won't try to convince you one way or the other because I haven't personally listened to either the COP or the HD598 but I'm surprised that you consider these two to be your best options seeing as they are completely different. In fact they're pretty much polar opposites. One is closed (good isolation), bass-heavy, U-shaped cans while the other is fully open (no isolation) and relatively bass-light.

Personally I don't think the COP is an ideal headphone for your music genres. That said, I think you need to look further into your particular needs. Lets start with the obvious-- do you need isolation?

I saw the the COP were able to be closed or open. I will mostly be using these at home, so they can be open, but it would be nice to have the option to change It to closed on the go.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 9
COP is a purely closed headphone, I don't think a headphone is yet to be created that features what you are saying thatthe the COP is supposed to do with its slider

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 9
He's right. The sliders on the COP only effect the bass quantity. Even with the sliders fully open the COP is definitely a closed can with the isolation you would expect from any other closed cans.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 9
I bought my COPs a few weeks ago with the FiiO E17 DAC\AMP.  I haven't listened to the HD598s so I can't comment on those.  I've read and watched a number of reviews and many say they require a long burn in period.  I have to say they've gotten better sounding over time.  I am not an overly analytical listener bu I really enjoy their sound.  I listen to a wide variety of music and have tried a few new genres since owning them.  The sliders do make a difference in the bass.  I listen to some older rock which tends to sound a bit light in the bass so this often helps.  I've read the word "fun" in a number of reviews of these and other headphones and have to say that fits the COPs.  I am sure they aren't the most detailed, analytical, best soundstage, ..... But they are fun for me and my listening style.  I will most likely add another pair that do those things but for day to day stuff I like then just fine.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Heya,

The HD598 is a bright, neutral headphone with a good sound stage. Light on the bass.
The COP is a dark headphone, mids are recessed and sound a touch distant, bass is big if you set it to be big.

By the way the COP cannot be open or closed, it simply has vent ports that increase bass or take bass away. Sound stage doesn't change, other frequencies do not change. The mids sound the same even if you close the ports.

I would have you look at:

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Hifiman HE-300 revision 2
Beyer DT770 PRO LE 32ohm
Ultrasone HFI 780 or PRO 750
AKG K271 MKII or K167

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I thought the hd 598 had more bass than the dt880 
also the hd 598 in general doesnt have light bass 
it just a more balanced sound with adequate bass (when not compared with basshead cans)
natural sound ftw 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back