Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
May 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #121 of 784
I ordered some used DT1770 from a german vendor that specializes in refurbishments. I hope it's good.

Out of interest are the 1770 and 1990 completely different in sound? Do you think it is worth it owning both? Do they complement each other.

May 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #122 of 784
I ordered some used DT1770 from a german vendor that specializes in refurbishments. I hope it's good.

Out of interest are the 1770 and 1990 completely different in sound? Do you think it is worth it owning both? Do they complement each other.
They are very different headphones. The DT1770 are more bass-heavy and have a warmer sound. The DT1990 are very neutral and have better highs than the DT1770, and are by far the most attractive IMHO. The Amiron Home are warm and just relaxing, not fatiguing in the least. I honestly love all 3 but will sell them all if the Amiron wireless are even close to the DT1990.

May 16, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #123 of 784
Beyerdynamic comparison:
I had some time to test my Amiron Wireless yesterday. It compares very well with the DT1770Pro driven by a good amplifier (32Ohm vs 250Ohm!), but is slightly warmer and more relaxed. DT1770Pro is slightly more analytical. They both don't have the widest sound-stage but with MIY customization Amiron is slightly better.
Other headphones comparisons:
I had a chance to compare also with Focal Clear in the shop where I got it, which are very interesting and recommended for bass-heads (at significanlty higher price point) and I have to say I liked Amiron better due to being more balanced and relaxed. Only for bass Focals are really amazing, I did not hear anything comparable yet, but mids are completly overtoned by it. Also compared with Untrasone Edition 10 which were way to harsh with AK70 directly, I did not try them on a amplifier. Also compared to Bowers & Wilkins PX, they have a very nice design, but tonality is far far away, bass is not present, way to neutral.
I also have listend to Sony WH-1000XM2 that day (not side-by-side with Amiron), and they sounded just completely artificial, they feel plastic and sound same, did not like them at all.
Comfort:
Comfort-wise Amiron is just amazing, I had them on for around 3,5-4 hours and due to being not as stiff as DT1770Pro they are probably even slightly more comfortable. Significantly better then Aventho Wireless! Passive sound isolation is also very good, I missed my S-Bahn by sitting with my back to it :) But I have to say S-Bahn in Munich is pretty quiet :) For overall usage on the go in public transportation it's good enough.
Further details:
MIY customization is very present, I would say even slightly higher percievable then with Aventho Wireless. Connectivity is good, I actually could not hear a difference between my AK70 with AptXHD and Samsung S9+ with AptX but will test further. I am actually looking forward to LG G7 which would probably allow me to sell AK70 and have universal device for both wired and wireless music consumption and a camera which is good enough compared to Samsung phones. I still want to have a good wired mobile source for my IEMs (Beyerdynamic Xelentos)
I have listend to all possible music styles and probably only classical requires slightly different headphones, for the rest Amiron is just perfect. It probably does not have the nicest design and size for the portable headphones but I don't care, comfort and tonality is more important to me.

As a next step I will do is side-by-side wired comparison with DT1770Pro on my Adi-2 Pro DAC which has 2 headphone jacks.

Anybody in Munich is welcome to bring their other headphones for comparison, just PM me here.
-------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE on side-by-side comparison with DT1770Pro hooked up to ADI-2 Pro and similar volume setting. Amiron is somehow recognized as high-power device which is strange so it's not possible to set the same volume. It's probably my no-name 3,5mm adapter.

I used the track "Hardwired" from Metallica because it offers very wide frequency distribution and is very dynamic and offers plenty of bass.
As expected I would call DT1770Pro more analytical with better instruments separation and punchier bass, perfectly tuned for studio. Amiron Wireless is more laid back and musically tuned giving ability to enjoy the overall composition and not separate instruments which I keep concentrating on when I use DT1770Pro (which I still like and use as my primary headphones).
I would totaly agree with somebody from the previous posts, Beyerdynamic models complement each other and do not have to be seen as replacements for each other.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #124 of 784
Received my Amiron Wireless yesterday and have about 3 hours on them so far, as mentioned prior comfort is top notch, sound is on the balanced side and connectivity is solid and seamless. I'll be spending more time with them in the next few days (doing some traveling) -- Initial thoughts are all positive, especially on comfort and balanced/detailed sound over aptx HD.

May 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #125 of 784
I got the Amiron Wireless today.
Great sound, great comfort, slightly wonky pairing and MIY app - but in the end everything works. I'm not sure what to think of the MIY personalization - on one hand, it makes some music sound clearer, but with some tracks I feel like there's some compression/loudness going on and it's quite fatiguing. I'd swear I hear distortion (like the amp was underpowered) with some bass-heavy tracks and higher volumes.

Two very major issues that I have
1) Bluetooth range is abysmal when using aptX codec. With AAC it is comparable to other headphones (using aptX), but still nowhere as stable. Coming from B&W P7W and PX that I have this is tough competition, but I literally take two steps from my Macbook and the audio starts dropping. AAC usually has better range (because of lower bitrate), but this doesn't seem right.

2) on macOS, audio stops when one source stops. Let me explain. Imagine you have iTunes playing a song and you click on a Youtube video in Safari. Both sounds mix and everything is good except you want to hear the video, so you go to pause iTunes - and all audio is gone, even though Youtube is still playing. And vice versa. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but just Play/Pause iTunes or Youtube a few times and your audio will stop. Sometimes pausing and resuming works, other times you need to reconnect the headphones. I had this same issue with B&W P7 Wireless starting with macOS 10.12 Beta, B&W never solved it (they just stopped replying) and I don't think they will every update it. B&W PX does _NOT_ have this problem. Apple never replied to my bugreport.

May 17, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #128 of 784
I'm still not quite sure what to think about SQ. On one hand, they clearly have more detail than anything else I own (P7W, PX, H9). On other hand the mids are tiring and "rounded" and sometimes I feel like it's all mudded. Trebles (especially female vocals) have strange sibilance that is present on other headphones, but here it is accentuated to a degree where it bothers me (I had to look for it when comparing to other headphones).
Enabling MIY personalization makes everything sound "better" but even more tiring at the same time. It very much reminds me of DSEE HX on Sony headphones (I had MDR-1000X for a short time and hated them) - i.e. some music sound beautiful, some sounds dreadful.
Bass extension is good, sub bass isn't present at low volumes (bummer) unless you enable MIY, but if I understand correctly how MIY works then your results will vary depending on the test results.

But overall - yes, I believe this to be the best sounding headphone I have tried. I wanted to get the DSR9BT originally, but build quality and looks threw me off and I never tried them so no idea how SQ compares.

It seems that the most issues you are describing are source related. I also have some range issues with AK70, but they are same with every bluetooth headset I have tested :frowning2:

I tried it with an iPhone (AAC) and Macbook (aptX, AAC, SBC). I don't think a different source would help (unless it uses more power than allowed).
iPhone has a bit better range compared to the Macbook (I believe it has Class 1 bluetooth, not sure if that helps in this case), but still a lot shorted compared to B&W or Sennheiser headphones I have. Absolutely no comparison to Airpods that have 100m range (about 20m in practice through walls, i.e. very little drops anywhere in my flat).
With aptX those headphones are close to unusable. If I had to guess I think the receiver sensitivity is poor because the signal strength _from_ the headphones is actually better than with P7W (but that's the direction that doesn't really matter much).

I wonder if that's the reason why aptX can be disabled on the headphones with button presses - haven't seen that on any other headphones.

I'll wait a while for Beyer to come out with a firmware update, but if it doesn't help I'll bring them in for repair and if not fixable I'll return them - this is not acceptable in the most expensive wireless headphone there is.

May 17, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #129 of 784
I just got this: EarStudio ES100 - 24bit Portable High-Resolution Bluetooth

Hooked up to dt 1770 and it sounds great. Downloaded power Amp build 705 and compared to the Mdr 1000x. Better detail, though the Sony mids can come across a bit nicer. Still debating if I'll keep the Sonys or not.

May 17, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #130 of 784
I'm still not quite sure what to think about SQ. On one hand, they clearly have more detail than anything else I own (P7W, PX, H9). On other hand the mids are tiring and "rounded" and sometimes I feel like it's all mudded. Trebles (especially female vocals) have strange sibilance that is present on other headphones, but here it is accentuated to a degree where it bothers me (I had to look for it when comparing to other headphones).
Enabling MIY personalization makes everything sound "better" but even more tiring at the same time. It very much reminds me of DSEE HX on Sony headphones (I had MDR-1000X for a short time and hated them) - i.e. some music sound beautiful, some sounds dreadful.
Bass extension is good, sub bass isn't present at low volumes (bummer) unless you enable MIY, but if I understand correctly how MIY works then your results will vary depending on the test results.

But overall - yes, I believe this to be the best sounding headphone I have tried. I wanted to get the DSR9BT originally, but build quality and looks threw me off and I never tried them so no idea how SQ compares.
Honestly, that sounds dreadful. A headphone that is "best sounding" should not sound muddy, have strange sibilance, be tiring to listen to, or sound dreadful.

I was really hoping for a softer Beyer, in the vein of the Amiron Home (wired), but this sounds like classic Beyer icepick-to-the-skull nonsense to me.

I guess I'll stick with my PX for BT listening; they're nowhere near "great" in my book, but at least I can listen for hours without wincing.

May 22, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #131 of 784
PSA: Mac users running macOS 10.13 should download a developer app within Xcode called Bluetooth Explorer from Apple developers site. This will force your Mac to use aptX. Otherwise, Amiron wireless defaults to SBC which doesn't sound good, very compressed. Amiron Wireless will confirm aptX connection via voice confirmation and you can see in the BT menubar by holding the OPTION key and click on Amiron Wireless.

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 2.14.41 PM.jpg

May 22, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #132 of 784
PSA: Mac users running macOS 10.13 should download a developer app within Xcode called Bluetooth Explorer from Apple developers site. This will force your Mac to use aptX. Otherwise, Amiron wireless defaults to SBC which doesn't sound good, very compressed. Amiron Wireless will confirm aptX connection via voice confirmation and you can see in the BT menubar by holding the OPTION key and click on Amiron Wireless.

This is not 100% accurate :) at least not on my system (running a beta).
The problem is that the _headphones_ connect with SBC when you turn them on (I have aptX switched off on them so what I care about is that they don't use AAC).

If you disconnect them and connect from the computer side, it will use AAC.

I had the same bug with Senn Momentum. All the quirks and bugs I see in the Amiron very much reminds me of (now years old) Sennheiser... not good :frowning2:

I actually sent Beyerdynamic a list of bugs last week and got a reply that the product team will be replying... no reply yet.

May 22, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #133 of 784
Btw I just tried it with aptX and it couldn't replicate it - even when connecting from the headphones on startup, it will switch to aptX immediately.
(I did a full bluetooth settings reset on the Mac and factory reset on the headphones).
But I have no doubt it will happen the same with AAC and aptX, just not sure how that's triggered, as the bug persists even between restarts.

May 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #134 of 784
Even though I‘m from Germany, I couldn‘t find an Amiron Wireless yet to test it with my source/music.
Next week I will be visiting Beyer‘s factory outlet at their manufacturing site, they confirmed per email that I will be able to compare an Amiron Wireless to a T5p.2.
I‘m really curious about this comparison, as those 2 are directly competing with each other, being both designed for a portable use, closed and low impedance... Amiron has wireless on top, T5p.2 angled drivers. Pricing (not the list price thoug) is also similar...

May 22, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #135 of 784
I was excited for these but they disappeared from Amazon UK before release with a list price of 545GBP and are now available on Thomann for 699EUR. Are these really 700EUR headphones?

Now considering a nice set of low impedence over-ears instead and pairing them with an Earstudio ES100 or something when I want to go mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back