Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #797 of 2,674
Ah that makes sense. My experience with other headphones is that the amp matters more than balanced or single-ended, some single-ended amps straight up sounded better than some balanced and vice-versa. I'm probably going to stick with single-ended and maybe get a better cable for the Amiron's sometime after I get a new headphone amp and eventually DAC.

That makes sense to me as well. I agree that balanced versus single ended is really in the eyes of the beholder. A properly designed and built amp will sound amazing singled ended. Usually there is more power out of the balanced, but not with the Milo. 18 freakin watts of single ended power. The Milo is a true end game piece. My Musette is an amazing DAC, but not end game. I am dying to upgrade my DAC to meet the quality of The Milo. The Amiron loves power. The more I feed it, the better it sounds. Love it!

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #798 of 2,674
That makes sense to me as well. I agree that balanced versus single ended is really in the eyes of the beholder. A properly designed and built amp will sound amazing singled ended. Usually there is more power out of the balanced, but not with the Milo. 18 freakin watts of single ended power. The Milo is a true end game piece. My Musette is an amazing DAC, but not end game. I am dying to upgrade my DAC to meet the quality of The Milo. The Amiron loves power. The more I feed it, the better it sounds. Love it!

Yeah, it's all about the amp and sonic preferences as well. I was told not to worry too much about it, jut rather just find a headphone you like and work around it. True, it would. Some amps I find the balanced and single-ended just as good on them. True, that makes sense. That is a lot of power. Sounds like it, I have heard end-game gear. More familiar with violectric and eddie-current end-game amps. Haven't heard that amp but I know what an end-game DAC sounds like, it's amazing. The Amiron really likes power that much? I am very happy with it on the UDA-1, very pleasing non harsh or sibilant sound, but I do find it could do with a little more dynamics, oddly I find just changing the adapter to the Audioquest silver-plated one alone helps a bit, which makes me think a Silver Dragon on the Amiron will be quite a nice experience on my current system.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #799 of 2,674
Yeah, it's all about the amp and sonic preferences as well. I was told not to worry too much about it, jut rather just find a headphone you like and work around it. True, it would. Some amps I find the balanced and single-ended just as good on them. True, that makes sense. That is a lot of power. Sounds like it, I have heard end-game gear. More familiar with violectric and eddie-current end-game amps. Haven't heard that amp but I know what an end-game DAC sounds like, it's amazing. The Amiron really likes power that much? I am very happy with it on the UDA-1, very pleasing non harsh or sibilant sound, but I do find it could do with a little more dynamics, oddly I find just changing the adapter to the Audioquest silver-plated one alone helps a bit, which makes me think a Silver Dragon on the Amiron will be quite a nice experience on my current system.

I have heard a few end game DACs as well. Only at Canjam. I loved the Yggy and the Holo Spring. But the Chord Dave was something else entirely. I also loved the Hugo 2. Blown away by its sound. I think an Yggy or Hugo 2 will be my next DAC. Unless they make a 2Qute with tje Hugo 2 tech.

I have a silver dragon for my Elear. Amazing cable. I would agree it will be a noce improvement to the chain. You need to hear a Milo. Best SS amp goin. I shouldn't say that. Not sure it is true.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #800 of 2,674
I have heard a few end game DACs as well. Only at Canjam. I loved the Yggy and the Holo Spring. But the Chord Dave was something else entirely. I also loved the Hugo 2. Blown away by its sound. I think an Yggy or Hugo 2 will be my next DAC. Unless they make a 2Qute with tje Hugo 2 tech.

I have a silver dragon for my Elear. Amazing cable. I would agree it will be a noce improvement to the chain. You need to hear a Milo. Best SS amp goin. I shouldn't say that. Not sure it is true.

A good friend of mine has the MSB Select DAC, truly an awe-inspiring listen. Really need to bring over my Amirons and plug it into that system to see what it sounds like on essentially the best of the best gear. Chord gear is nice. The Yggy is really nice despite not being a big fan of schist gear in general.

Cable differences and power differences are very obvious to me. It's why I use power conditioning, glass toslink cables, thick audiophile power cables, and silver interconnects. And I use power conditioning and audiophile power cables on my whole computer and honestly if I take it away and use crappy cables and no power conditioning the sound suffers in terms of control and looses a lot of impact and things are more fatiguing, especially when talking about a desktop system. Portable takes less work to sound clean in my experience but portable never quite has the same solidity and backbone to the sound in my experience.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #801 of 2,674
A good friend of mine has the MSB Select DAC, truly an awe-inspiring listen. Really need to bring over my Amirons and plug it into that system to see what it sounds like on essentially the best of the best gear. Chord gear is nice. The Yggy is really nice despite not being a big fan of schist gear in general.

Cable differences and power differences are very obvious to me. It's why I use power conditioning, glass toslink cables, thick audiophile power cables, and silver interconnects. And I use power conditioning and audiophile power cables on my whole computer and honestly if I take it away and use crappy cables and no power conditioning the sound suffers in terms of control and looses a lot of impact and things are more fatiguing, especially when talking about a desktop system. Portable takes less work to sound clean in my experience but portable never quite has the same solidity and backbone to the sound in my experience.

I would love to hear the MSB. Any of them really. Expensive, but the top of the heap for sure. I want to hear the Metrum Adagio. Their summit piece. I love the NOS sound. So natural and organic. I agree that cables and power can make a huge difference. I have a silver dragon USB, Blue Dragon interconnects, Silver and Black Dragon cables for my Dharmas and Elears. I have a pretty rudimentary power conditioner from Monster. I could definitely upgrade it, but haven't built up the courage to spend a lot there. I agree about Schiit gear. I find it to sound pretty digital for the most part. Just not my cup of tea, although I really loved the Yggy. So much detail while not being clinical at all. Just great music. I am very interested in trying out a directstream DAC as well. Not to mention an ALO Studio 6. I really want a tube amp, although I have found the Milo to have a "tubey" presentation. Espcially with my Amirons and Elears which are both warmer than neutral headphones. As are my ZMF's which love the Milo as the Ori's need a lot of power. They are as power hungry as the Abyss. Jeff Wells and I AB'd them at Canjam on his Headtrip Reference, and the Ori's needed more of the dial to sound as loud. We were stunned...

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #802 of 2,674
I would love to hear the MSB. Any of them really. Expensive, but the top of the heap for sure. I want to hear the Metrum Adagio. Their summit piece. I love the NOS sound. So natural and organic. I agree that cables and power can make a huge difference. I have a silver dragon USB, Blue Dragon interconnects, Silver and Black Dragon cables for my Dharmas and Elears. I have a pretty rudimentary power conditioner from Monster. I could definitely upgrade it, but haven't built up the courage to spend a lot there. I agree about Schiit gear. I find it to sound pretty digital for the most part. Just not my cup of tea, although I really loved the Yggy. So much detail while not being clinical at all. Just great music. I am very interested in trying out a directstream DAC as well. Not to mention an ALO Studio 6. I really want a tube amp, although I have found the Milo to have a "tubey" presentation. Espcially with my Amirons and Elears which are both warmer than neutral headphones. As are my ZMF's which love the Milo as the Ori's need a lot of power. They are as power hungry as the Abyss. Jeff Wells and I AB'd them at Canjam on his Headtrip Reference, and the Ori's needed more of the dial to sound as loud. We were stunned...

They are new car expensive for sure, but I am glad to be able to hear a system built around it every so often. Yeah, cables have always been bashed, I do think there is some definite snake oil going on which is why I avoid spending too much, I get my power cables from Ice Age Audio because they are well priced(around $80-160 each) and the difference is extremely audible on some gear, the Sony UDA-1 completely changed especially in terms of dynamic range, slam, smoothness, and bass impact, it hits like a sledgehammer now(the Elear's bass was a holy crap moment on it especially when running on optical instead of USB). The Schiit Lyr 2 did as well, I went from feeling meh about the Lyr 2 to actually liking it, it wasn't tube rolling that saved that amp for me, it was the power cable. I just have a couple cheap Furman M-8X2's stacked(read you shouldn't stack power conditioners as it usually takes away body from the sound, had the opposite effect in this case, more body and control). Yeah, I find a lot of schiit gear to have a bit of a haze in their upper registers which I find fatiguing. Some SS amps manage to pull off a somewhat tubey sound. Those Fostex T50RP drivers are incredibly inefficient, some of the worse I've come across to drive, but if you want to know horrid to drive, try the AKG Sextett, easily the hardest to drive headphone I've ever owned, inefficient with 600 ohm impedance not a good combination. The Amiron is definitely warmer than neutral, but I do find when well driven the dynamic impact and tactility is impressive.

I wonder what the Milo would do to my DT 480, that headphone has some straight up scary dynamics and mine is 25 ohms, it would reign-in those aluminum drivers in with real authority for sure. It's a bit hard to explain the experience the DT 480 offers, absolutely no grain, a complete void of it, but when you listen to louder volumes on the DT 480 it's like an all out assault of dynamic slam in your eardrums yet you're not fatigued by hash, grain, etc. I expect my ears to protest but they just don't. Instead the dynamics bore into your skull with an intensity I haven't experienced in any other headphone. At lower volumes it's not like this, just super fatigue free, dynamic, and smooth with one unique(albeit flawed) sound.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #803 of 2,674
They are new car expensive for sure, but I am glad to be able to hear a system built around it every so often. Yeah, cables have always been bashed, I do think there is some definite snake oil going on which is why I avoid spending too much, I get my power cables from Ice Age Audio because they are well priced(around $80-160 each) and the difference is extremely audible on some gear, the Sony UDA-1 completely changed especially in terms of dynamic range, slam, smoothness, and bass impact, it hits like a sledgehammer now(the Elear's bass was a holy crap moment on it especially when running on optical instead of USB). The Schiit Lyr 2 did as well, I went from feeling meh about the Lyr 2 to actually liking it, it wasn't tube rolling that saved that amp for me, it was the power cable. I just have a couple cheap Furman M-8X2's stacked(read you shouldn't stack power conditioners as it usually takes away body from the sound, had the opposite effect in this case, more body and control). Yeah, I find a lot of schiit gear to have a bit of a haze in their upper registers which I find fatiguing. Some SS amps manage to pull off a somewhat tubey sound. Those Fostex T50RP drivers are incredibly inefficient, some of the worse I've come across to drive, but if you want to know horrid to drive, try the AKG Sextett, easily the hardest to drive headphone I've ever owned, inefficient with 600 ohm impedance not a good combination. The Amiron is definitely warmer than neutral, but I do find when well driven the dynamic impact and tactility is impressive.

I wonder what the Milo would do to my DT 480, that headphone has some straight up scary dynamics and mine is 25 ohms, it would reign-in those aluminum drivers in with real authority for sure. It's a bit hard to explain the experience the DT 480 offers, absolutely no grain, a complete void of it, but when you listen to louder volumes on the DT 480 it's like an all out assault of dynamic slam in your eardrums yet you're not fatigued by hash, grain, etc. I expect my ears to protest but they just don't. Instead the dynamics bore into your skull with an intensity I haven't experienced in any other headphone. At lower volumes it's not like this, just super fatigue free, dynamic, and smooth with one unique(albeit flawed) sound.

Very interesting, indeed. I would love to see how the AKG Sextett sounds, I haven't even heard of it. I think your DT 480's would sound majestic on the milo. I agree with you about the Amiron. It is incredibly dynamic and tactile. I listen to mostly live recordings, and the Amiron feels like I am standing in front of the SBD. The soundstage is bigger than it gets credit for, with a musical sound that just feels right. It sounds a lot like an open version of the Ori to be honest. I put it up my Amiron's for sale and have gotten absolutely no bites. Which is ok, because it has helped me to rediscover why I bought it in the first place. the upper register haze is a great way to describe most Schiit gear. Outside the Gumby and Yggy. What DAC are you using? How are you powering your Amiron's? The best pairing with my Milo/Musette though is with my Eikons in Padauk. I can't get enough... too many headphones, too little time. I agree cables can be a bit of snake oil. My rule is to never pay more for than 50% the value of the headphones. i am not over searching for the last 2-3% in the chain as of yet. Not at least till I hit a point where I have adequately managed the 97%.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #804 of 2,674
Very interesting, indeed. I would love to see how the AKG Sextett sounds, I haven't even heard of it. I think your DT 480's would sound majestic on the milo. I agree with you about the Amiron. It is incredibly dynamic and tactile. I listen to mostly live recordings, and the Amiron feels like I am standing in front of the SBD. The soundstage is bigger than it gets credit for, with a musical sound that just feels right. It sounds a lot like an open version of the Ori to be honest. I put it up my Amiron's for sale and have gotten absolutely no bites. Which is ok, because it has helped me to rediscover why I bought it in the first place. the upper register haze is a great way to describe most Schiit gear. Outside the Gumby and Yggy. What DAC are you using? How are you powering your Amiron's? The best pairing with my Milo/Musette though is with my Eikons in Padauk. I can't get enough... too many headphones, too little time. I agree cables can be a bit of snake oil. My rule is to never pay more for than 50% the value of the headphones. i am not over searching for the last 2-3% in the chain as of yet. Not at least till I hit a point where I have adequately managed the 97%.

The K240 Sextett is quite an unique headphone, it's from AKG's golden years, the bass is unlike anything I've ever heard due to it's six passive diaphragms. The DT 480 is a sister headphone to the DT 48(first dynamic headphone ever made and the first Beyer), it's also an unique design being the only headphones with hermetically sealed magnet construction(all modern dynamics have open-designs), they need zero airflow essentially while this can lead to a weird FR responses it creates unreal transient response and amazing modal control making the headphone always sound grain free and unable to confuse with complex tracks and shoving some of the details you usually subtly notice in your face. Some of the vintage gear is fantastic but may need some restoration and/or modding. The DT 48/480 are very weird first listens, leaving you a bit baffled until you adjust to it. That's the Beyer sound for you, they are very good at creating a nice dynamic and physically tactile sound and that trait of Beyer has been there since the beginning, in a sense they never fully deviated from their house sound. I have noticed the Amirons very nice sound stage and imaging, I do think the T1's is better(that ethereal soundstage and imaging is special) but the Amiron doesn't have the T1's unpleasant upper registers to me and I like the Amirons more fluid and silky yet dynamic sound more. I also noticed Beyers have nicely fleshed out mids with larger image size. It's what I noticed about the T1.2 directly compared to the Elear.

I'm just using the Sony UDA-1 as a DAC, a headphone amp(while solid state is best suited for higher impedance headphones), and a speaker amp. It's a burr-brown chip, but I always found Burr browns respond nicely to clean power and cable upgrades. I know that feeling, I sorta just settled on the Amiron Home(open) and the DT 480(sealed) for now as I can't listen to them all, I do really like my DT 1990 too but those two get more use, I am likely selling the DT 1990 as I am going to end up getting another DT 1990 from a friend who upgraded to the HD 800S which is more to her tastes. I have financial obligations elsewhere currently so not putting any money into upgrades right now.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #805 of 2,674

I am excited to finally get to hear the Hugo 2!! Sadly we were just able to get 2 coming in, and one is sold already through pre sale on the site. I think I will have to wait for the next batch since the second should sell any day now.

I wouldn't have thought to use the Amiron immediately with the Hugo 2... Interesting also to know how well it can scale. We have a lot of amps here that drive them well but I never did an a/b to hear it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #806 of 2,674
Nighthawk C vs Amiron, which one should I go for if I'm looking for a slightly warm HP with a rich sound, fluid mids, good bass detail and bass punch and that can be used for hours without listening fatigue. Some people believe there is a driver lottery with the Amiron, by which I mean do some samples sound better/different than others.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #807 of 2,674
Woo excited. Not a fan of t90...hopefully things get better here. But the design is very meh.

The design's OK with me, though obviously such is a very personal choice.
But I mean it's nothing really different like Audio Technica's "wings".

The reason I don't enjoy the T90's is because of that sizzle up top;
the kind of sizzle you hear early morning in a cheap luncheonette.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #808 of 2,674
The design's OK with me, though obviously such is a very personal choice.
But I mean it's nothing really different like Audio Technica's "wings".

The reason I don't enjoy the T90's is because of that sizzle up top;
the kind of sizzle you hear early morning in a cheap luncheonette.

Yea, I prefer the late run T1 to the T90. Late run T1 is easily one of the best headphones available imo (too bad T1 in general has been plagued by various production issues, etc.).

The Amiron looks ugly. I will not lie. It looks dated, and ugly. The Dt1770/Dt1990 designer needs to have a chat with the Amiron designer. I'm a huge fan of Beyer but this doesn't really float my boat.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #809 of 2,674
This thread has been quiet for a while. Not many Amiron owners out there? What is everyone using to drive their Amiron Home's?

currently using a gustard h10 with ad797brz opamps and got myself a custom cans cable

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #810 of 2,674
This thread has been quiet for a while. Not many Amiron owners out there? What is everyone using to drive their Amiron Home's?

Still using a Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition to drive my Amiron Home (since I got the Amiron six months ago); works great with no issues. Creative's implementation with the Burr-Brown PCM1794 goes along very nicely with the Amiron.

I might give the Beyerdynamic A20 a go in the future, but the X7 LE paired with the Amiron Home meets my audio needs quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back