Beyerdynamic A1
Jun 13, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #31 of 37
A1 is a lovely amp.  I prefer it over Meridian Prime and Naim V1.
No matter how long my listening sessions are , i always want to listen to this amp more and more.
This amp is demanding about cables and source , but once your setup is on pair with A1 nothing is in the way of music :) its so transparent!

i saw once a guy running A1 with yamaha cd player, and T1. He told me he is not impressed with A1, sound was not engaging...
He bought marantz dac/hp amp combo instead and was happy. If only he heard A1 with my hegel hd 20 !!  breathtaking with all genders, all headphones...
I think problem is many "audiophiles"  are inexperienced and looking to be impressed by all this amps that color sound one way or another, of course you keep telling yourself that you are after neutral natural sound signature :wink: but once theres an amp that doesn't take anything from sound and doesn't bring anything to sound , its not engaging  :)

Only after you try all this gear that try to impress you with fireworks and after playing with it for a while you get bored, only then you will look for neutrality.
And thats what A1 is - neutral amp :)

Lovely amp!

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 37
Sorry for necroing this thread, but i bought this amp just 2 weeks ago, the sound is definitely better than from aune s16 amp section (i use it now only as a DAC) but... one thing is concerning me. I use A1 mainly with T90, and there is a very faint hum in both channels, even with nothing but HP and AMP connected... i even tried various power sockets, and hum is still here. It's VERY faint, but hearable, and it's stays the same, even at 0 volume.

Is it natural, or my amp is defective? I heard this amp is dead silent, but maybe it's natural with lower ohms headphones? (i don't have any 600-ohms to test it)

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 37
  Sorry for necroing this thread, but i bought this amp just 2 weeks ago, the sound is definitely better than from aune s16 amp section (i use it now only as a DAC) but... one thing is concerning me. I use A1 mainly with T90, and there is a very faint hum in both channels, even with nothing but HP and AMP connected... i even tried various power sockets, and hum is still here. It's VERY faint, but hearable, and it's stays the same, even at 0 volume.

Is it natural, or my amp is defective? I heard this amp is dead silent, but maybe it's natural with lower ohms headphones? (i don't have any 600-ohms to test it)

The A1 is still a very good sounding amplifier. A1 has a big gain factor so the slightest noise will be easy to hear. What happens if you unplug the Aune from the input? Is the noise still there? I am guessing the Aune brings some noise. Also there could be a grounding issue somewhere?

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 37
I already mentioned that even without aune and/or notebook, the amp is still sending hiss to headphones, but it's very faint, to the point, that you probably need sharp hearing to notice it. It's not a huge deal for me, but i expected it to be dead silent, so i'm slightly worried... BTW i bought it NEW (despite stock being unavailable in most places)

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #35 of 37
  I already mentioned that even without aune and/or notebook, the amp is still sending hiss to headphones, but it's very faint, to the point, that you probably need sharp hearing to notice it. It's not a huge deal for me, but i expected it to be dead silent, so i'm slightly worried... BTW i bought it NEW (despite stock being unavailable in most places)

OK. I didn't se that. It has been a while since I sold my A1 but as far as I remember it also had a very little hiss. So I would not worry about it at all. :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #37 of 37
Great to see there is still love for the A1. I am sure it can still compete with the best in the market these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back