Beyer, Ultrasone, OH MY!
May 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Uam

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!
Now I need some help...
Just a couple weeks ago I needed some travel phones to wear in school, car ect. I found the Audio Technica ES-7's and fell in love. I bought them and have been very happy with them! But now I need a new set of cans for home use. Basically, I need a pair of cans for the computer. I need them for gaming, movie watching, and casual listening. The genres or music I listen to are techno, dub-step, metal, and Broadway. Now these need to be pretty bass heavy due to movies and techno, but not too overpowering. (I can take alot of bass, just not Skull Candy bass...) These will be running out of my comps sound card (will buy one soon) and then be going to my PA2V2, then going to the head phones...

I've narrowed it down to two phones...

Beyerdynamic dt770 PRO 80 ohms

These look really nice, I hear good things about them. But there is the consumer version which is a little different. Which one?

Or...

Ultrasone HiFi780's

I also hear good things, but I dont like the Pleather pads. (Will probably put Valour pads on if I can find some that fit...)

So, which ones would you recommend? I'm open to other suggestions so don't be shy!
wink_face.gif

Thanks!

May 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 16
techno, dub-step, metal and broadway?

May 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 16
I loved the DT770's. I sold them off because I wanted to try other cans, but other than that... Nothing was wrong with them. I'm talking about the pro 80ohm edition, though, and I listen to music like Daft Punk, Michael Jackson, The Prodigy, Nine inch Nails, Kanye West, Lady Gaga. IMHO, the DT770 bass is perfect, just misplaced sometimes. Also, what soundcard are you going for? I suggest going for a set of used DT770's, as they sometimes go for < $100. You can put the savings toward an Asus Xonar.

Just my scattered thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 16
I've been looking into headphones for similar purposes although mine will be used almost exclusively for trance (bordering techno). From what I've read so far:

DT770: A fun set of cans with lots of boomy bass and prominent highs, small soundstage and quite fatiguing. Gives the impression of being in a club so I've heard.

HFI-780: Another fun set of headphones with plenty of energy, lots of bass but probably more refined compared to the DT770. Also prominent on the highs, I've heard the term "V-shaped equaliser" used which I presume is big bass/high, low mids.

For your needs, probably not bad choices, if you want to spend more money then Sony SA5000's, Beyer DT990, Ultrasone 900/Proline 750, Denon D2000 (5000's better but double the cost, at least here in UK) might be worth looking into. Grados are supposed to be fun but more aimed at rock genres I hear. Sennheiser HD600/650 are pretty good if a little laid back. AKGs are more analytical, giving you detail but not much "oomph".

Thats at least how I understand it so far, if anyone can correct me or elaborate then I would appreciate it as well as I'm in the same boat.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. out of the two, I would go Ultrasone, they're generally fun with plenty of bass. Very happy with my Prolines (but still looking for better of course).

May 8, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 16
All the Ultrasones considered bass heavy, but the most important they have a punchy bass. and not just boomy. The most bassy ones for me will be the Pro 900. and the less bass will be the Pro 650.

May 9, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't know how to multi-quote so i'll just do this manually...

To fjrabon...
Yea, I have weird music tastes. It really all depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm doing at the moment. Metal for when my adrenalin is running, techno to chill with and Broadway to set me in the mood for a performance (I do drama, dancing, and singing..... ect...)

To Benaiir...
Yea, I do hear that they work well, I was lurking around here for alot before so I know that the 780 and 770 are both very good, just trying to think of one that I would prefer.... About the sound card, I havent got one yet, which one would be a great all rounder? The Asus? I never really thought Asus with sound....

To hadouken...
Glad to hear it!
icon10.gif
I'm going to an audiophile shop just down the street and try the 770 and 780.... See which one I'll prefer! And yes, I'm on the exact same boat as you!

To Acix...
As much as punch is nice, the boom really gets me going... We will just have to wait and see...

To Townyj...
Thank you for the comparison! By this, I think I may like the 770 better...

Anyways... Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to check out a shop that has both and try em out. More suggestions are welcome, but make sure I can buy em for under $500 CAN. Thanks!

May 9, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 16
You would really need a small dac/amp to run the 770Pro's to there best... Just remember that. The 780's will run fine out of a Soundcard.

If you are going to use the PA2v2, then get something like a PICO Dac or just stick with a dac/amp combo like a D2 Boa etc.... There are also great little amp/dac combo's from company's like Travagan's and Firestone.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would really need a small dac/amp to run the 770Pro's to there best... Just remember that. The 780's will run fine out of a Soundcard.

If you are going to use the PA2v2, then get something like a PICO Dac or just stick with a dac/amp combo like a D2 Boa etc.... There are also great little amp/dac combo's from company's like Travagan's and Firestone.

smily_headphones1.gif

Damn, I need a DAC? There goes my wallet...
Well, which Amp/DAC combo would you recommend? Preferably something under 200 plezzzz.

May 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 16
Something like a D2 Boa or even the Nuforce Icon Mobile will run the DT770Pro's better then straight from your out on your soundcard to a PA2v2.

Even a hot audio usb dac and pa2v2 amp would do you fairly good for under $100 used. There are alot of options you can go for on a budget of $200.

I think the Nuforce Icon Mobile will be a good option for the DT770Pro's, although i do not know if they have good synergy...

May 9, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 16
+1 for the HFI-780s. Great punchy bass. Excellent for rock and metal, IMO.

May 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 16
So, this is what I've decided to do,
Amp/DAC: Ibasso D2 Boa
Sound Card: Still Undecided.... Asus looks good, but I hear that there are alot of problems with games...
Headphones: Beyerdynamic 770 Pro....Or... Ultrasone 780 (still haven't really decided...)
K, so i haven't really decided yet, but all I really need help with now is finding the right sound card. I'll go to a different forum about it but suggestions here would be nice!
Thanks!

May 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 16
I would say the Ultrasones, as for pads the DT250 beyerdynamic pads fit on the HFI-780s. Then the 780s can be gotten for 160-170 at rmaaudiodirect.com.

The Uam I play games with my HDAV13 all the time, I dont really have any problems with great amount of games I played with it. Most people are talking about the GX(DSGX) mode which I only had a few games get upset at me for. Usually a gamepatch(CODWAW) fixed it if it was a game related problem, or the game engine just dont like it at all no matter what(Samurai Warrior 2 PC/Koei's game engine). Those same games that few saying are not working for them with it on. Works for me without a problem.

IF you get a STX you will not need a headphone amp as the STX has a headphone amp on it.

May 10, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the Ultrasones, as for pads the DT250 beyerdynamic pads fit on the HFI-780s. Then the 780s can be gotten for 160-170 at rmaaudiodirect.com.

The Uam I play games with my HDAV13 all the time, I dont really have any problems with great amount of games I played with it. Most people are talking about the GX(DSGX) mode which I only had a few games get upset at me for. Usually a gamepatch(CODWAW) fixed it if it was a game related problem, or the game engine just dont like it at all no matter what(Samurai Warrior 2 PC/Koei's game engine). Those same games that few saying are not working for them with it on. Works for me without a problem.

IF you get a STX you will not need a headphone amp as the STX has a headphone amp on it.

I'm going to go to my local computer shop and ask them what would be the best out of these three...
Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe PCI-E Sound Card w/ Dolby, DTS at Memory Express Computers
AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Sound Card at Memory Express Computers
And...
AuzenTech X-Fi Forte 7.1 Low Profile Sound Card at Memory Express Computers
We will see...

May 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 16
The thing is the prelude and the forte are almost the same, only with the forte having a headphone amp while the prelude doesnt. Pretty much sound the same between the two. It just the prelude has all of the analog plugs on the card and no headphone amp, wheres Forte has muiti plugs and a headphone out with a headphone amp. Then a VGA looking adaptor with the rest of the analog plugs on them.

Both Forte/prelude only aloud you to swap out the buffer op-amp on the card while HDAV13/STX let you swamp out the op-amps in both I/V and buffer dip8 sockets. It would really just come down to what your needs/wants are.If your putting Actual EAX5 that not emulated first then Forte, if your putting pure audio quailty first then HDAV or STX(Has a headphone amp too) which ever one you can find locally.

In your case if either a forte or a STX since both have headphone amps on them. Since HDAV13 doesnt have a headphone amp, unless you deciding to use a standalone one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back