Beyer suggestions
Jan 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

asianfi

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones. After much debating and research I came to the beyer DT line.I have a pair of ad700s and AKG k701s, so I wanted something with more punch and bass. (mainly pop/rock)

Now my question is what would be more suitable? I haven't read enough differences between their 250-600 counterparts respectively, so this is why I'm asking.

DT 770 250 / 600Ω
or
DT 880 250 / 600Ω

I'll be driving them as such

PC(xfi)-coax->Maverick D1-preamp-> LD MK III -stock tube-> headphone

Thanks in advance!

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 38
The DT770s will probably be a devastatingly huge increase in bass over the K701s and AD700s for you.

In overall performance, I'd probably do some more research into the DT880/600 as reviews do put it at the top of the list for the Beyers you noted.

After doing a lot of research on the matter, the DT880/600s were going to be my next headphone before the HE-5s were completely available.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 38
Get the 250ohm, it will be a lot easier to drive. Many people hate the DT770 and love the DT880. If i were geting DT770, DT880 or DT990, I would definately get the DT880. The DT990's are considered bright. But choosing out of DT770, DT880 and DT990 is a very tough decision. The DT770 are more bassy then the others, FWIR. The DT880 is the most neutral and the DT990 has the overpowering treble that some people like or hate.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 38
Appreciate the quick responses guys.

I guess it's leaning more towards the 880s now, although if properly amped would there be a significant difference between the 250->600 ohm ?

I haven't tried any 600 ohm headphones before, and the closest would be a pair of older 650s.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 38
I know it won't be of much help right now. I had the K702's and sold them and ordered the DT880 600 ohm. I will be getting the DT880's on tuesday so I can give you my impressions of them when I receive them. From what I have read the DT880's will have more bass than the K702's did.

I will be driving them with an Audio GD C-2C amp being fed by a Benchmark DAC1 from my iMac. My final setup though is going to be the Audio GD C-2C fed by a PS Audio Digital Link III when i get it. It is currently on backorder and I have the DAC1 on loan till I receive the PS Audio.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 38
Also from what I have read is the 600 ohms smooth out the sound of the DT880's, there is more bass, the mids aren't as recessed giving them a more balanced sound compared to the 250 ohm version.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 38
Yes the DT880 600ohm will be the best when driven properley, but if not, the 250ohm may surpass it.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the 250ohm, it will be a lot easier to drive

Thats not how it works. In fact, given that he is using a little dot MKIII which is an OTL, cheap tube amp the 600 ohm would be a much better choice.

As for the 600 ohm being worlds ahead, I sincerely doubt it.

I doubt the MKIII will do any 880 much justice and will probably blur the transients and severely hold it back. It'll probably sound alright though
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also from what I have read is the 600 ohms smooth out the sound of the DT880's, there is more bass, the mids aren't as recessed giving them a more balanced sound compared to the 250 ohm version.

Just FYI the 250 ohm sounds bright and bass anemic (like a lot of people describe here) when it is amped inadequately but sounds much more balanced when amped adequately. Coincidence? I think not.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just FYI the 250 ohm sounds bright and bass anemic (like a lot of people describe here) when it is amped inadequately but sounds much more balanced when amped adequately. Coincidence? I think not.

Having had the '03 DT880 and now my DT880/600, and having run them out of the same setup, um, yeah there are vast differences. Similar sound signature but the 600 ohm is very much better. Both were more than amped properly via a Rockhopper M^3 amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 38
For starters, you assume I say that they sound the same. The 600 has lesser driver mass which in theory results in faster transients.
Does it suddenly "make less highs and more bass"? No, not really. If it was drastically superior beyer would be offering it as the main headphone: they are not stupid.

I'm unfamiliar with the M^3 which means I cant make a comment on whether it is better suited for 600 ohms than 250.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

For starters, you assume I say that they sound the same. The 600 has lesser driver mass which in theory results in faster transients.
Does it suddenly "make less highs and more bass"? No, not really. If it was drastically superior beyer would be offering it as the main headphone: they are not stupid.

I'm unfamiliar with the M^3 which means I cant make a comment on whether it is better suited for 600 ohms than 250.

Ok. Wording issue time.
The thing is, the 600 ohm is a superior headphone to the 250ohm versions and the pricing reflects that too, with the 600ohm only being US$20 more than a '05 DT880 250ohm (both new). Also why is it then that everyone who owns one and have owned other DT880 versions (like me), have reported the same exact thing, that being the 600ohm DT880 gives more bass in terms of quantity (same quality) and is less bright / less distracting high mids / treble, thus making it sound much more balanced?

This is on all sorts of setups as well. I said, they have a similar sound signature. That doesn't mean they sound exactly the same.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Why aren't beyer offering it as their main headphone then?

You ask them, not me. I'm guessing it's not as profitable as the 250 ohms. Remember it's business too.
Read my link. Everyone says the same exact thing.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read my link. Everyone says the same exact thing.

You know I went to this radical church and everyone was going on about their close bond with God. They assured me that I could have such a close relationship with God too if I convert to their faith. Everyone one of them said to me that my religion was not as good. My point is that just because everyone who has bought the dt880 600 ohms version says it's better, doesn't mean it is. No matter which way you look at it, to say, "Everyone else agrees so it must be true," is relying on confirmation bias. I do not know if the dt880 versions sound different. However, people who I trust say that the 32 ohm and 250 ohm versions sound the same [with adequate amping]. You cannot draw a firm conclusion from this but if the 600 ohm version sounds superior, the trend would be evident between these two.

There is only one way to really know and that is to try it. Even then it doesn't mean my impression is correct. Bring forth the cable/burn-in/flac v 320 kbps etc. People can hear both and have conflicting results and will continue to disagree to the death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back