Beyer pad dying
Oct 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lostspyder

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone dyed their beyer velour pads? I got a pair of dt770s off ebay and the pads are disgusting - I washed them so they are clean at least but they are still all yellow - so I want to dye them. I was thinking hair dye, but does anyone have a better idea?

Also, what is "darthing" I hear a lot about it but cant find out exactly what it is - is it just replacing the cup with wood?

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone dyed their beyer velour pads? I got a pair of dt770s off ebay and the pads are disgusting - I washed them so they are clean at least but they are still all yellow - so I want to dye them. I was thinking hair dye, but does anyone have a better idea?

Also, what is "darthing" I hear a lot about it but cant find out exactly what it is - is it just replacing the cup with wood?

darthing is sending them larry at headphile.com to be mod.

the mods are replacing the cups and recabling them but it will cost you alot

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 9
How about fabric dye? I have a feeling that'll work better than hair dye.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darthing is sending them larry at headphile.com to be mod.

the mods are replacing the cups and recabling them but it will cost you alot

Larry also messes around with the insides of the cups and wiring, too, not just the external cable -- just to clarify.

Click on Headphile at the right side here, and go to "Beyer mods" section.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Regarding the pads, you're far better off just getting new ones, either velour or leather, from shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 9
It sounds as if the foam in the pads is nearly dead and due for replacement. However, in terms of color - Rit fabric dye has always done a fine job with them........amazingly, the Red dye works out just as well as black - those are the only two I've used thus far.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 9
After listing to them for a bit, I don't like them much (lacking detail and soundstage), but the pads are kaput (compared to my new comphy totally fantasawsome dt-880's pads) - could it be the flat pads that are making sound bad? or do I just not like em?

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 9
if the pads have gone flat, it could certainly cause problems.

The dt880 and dt770 pads are basically compatible (slightly different stiffness) - why don't you trade pads between them and see if it improves?

maybe you just don't like the 770 - soundstage is certainly less due to it's being closed.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Tried the new dt 880 pads - still don't like the dt 770. It's too 'masculine' - that is to say, rude, obnoxious, unkept and just plain utilitarian compared to the silky, sensual smooths of the dt 880s. Gonna list them FS here :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back