Beyer Experts...I need a closed DT990!
Jan 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ecclesand

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says it all. I'm ditching all my other headphones and have settled on the 600 ohm DT990 as my open can. However, I need a closed version of the 600 ohm DT990 for when the kids are making too much racket and I need more isolation. I read some posts where folks say the DT770 PRO version sounds like a closed DT990. These same posts mentioned a 600ohm version of the DT770 PRO, but I can only find the 80 and 250 ohm versions. Which version of the DT770 sounds like a closed DT990?

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 9
It's definitly not the dt770/80s. I didn't like them at all, and they are long gone. I really like my 600ohm dt990s(except for the agressive high end). I never heard the 600ohm dt770s, but if they're anything like the 80ohm version, you'll be dissapointed(if what you'll looking for is a closed dt990).

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Unfortunately I am not a beyer expert, nor do I have much listening experience with beyers (I do own 2005 DT880 250ohm) but have little beyer headtime beyond the DT880.

So please take what I state here for what it is, second hand, unqualified thoughts.
From what I have gathered, the DT770Pro and the DT770M are more the bass monsters with M version being the worse. So it is the DT770 premium that is more likely to be what you seek. As to ohms, there are 32, 250 and 600 versions. I guess the 600 would be closest to your goal. beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*Headphones

I will leave it there for the more experienced beyer Headfiers to chime in.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 9
I haven't tried them yet, but the 600 ohm DT 770's seem to be well regarded. Moon Audio has them recabled with Blue and Black Dragon cables and proprietary visual cues. I'm hoping to try a pair out next time I'm in the States, but they certainly look good.
Beyerdynamic Headphones

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 9
DT770 Premium 600Ohm would be your best bet. B&H has them, Drew (Moon-Audio) has them, e-bay has them. If you want some personalization as well as properly matched drivers (I went through three pairs of 600Ohm DT770 and none had matching drivers), go for Manufaktur, it's not that much more, around $300+ w/o fancy options.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the input folks. I have owned the DT770 Premium 250ohm version and remember liking it, however, I thought it lacked the lower end punch that the DT990 Premium 600ohm has. I will definitely look at the 600ohm version of the DT770 Premium.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I've only heard the 990/600 a few times, but I own the 880/600 and 770/600, both MANUFAKTUR, and listen all the time. I even had a custom amp built by QESLabs for these. The 770/600 is an excellent closed phone (in fact I think I am going to sell my trusty Ultrasone because the 770/600 is so good), but the sound signature is not like a "closed 880": mid-range is more pronounced. Just so you know.

Let's look at the options mentioned in more detail:

1. You can buy from the (main) German beyer web site (pages are in English), going to MANUAKTUR. This gives you the most options, wide range of color choices, etc. This is what I did. You pay in Euros, so you are hit with currency conversion charge by your credit card company, and the shipping is more, but the service is fast and excellent. No problems.

You used to be able to get to this from the home page of the main (German) site:

beyerdynamic worldwide

but no more ... they are trying to push you to the U.S. site (see below). But you can deep link into it, even in English, and they are happy to take your order:

beyerdynamic Shop*-*HiFi MANUFAKTUR

You can also get to this by going to the U.S. site (Home) and then ignoring the instructions for U.S. visitors when you get to MANUFAKTUR.

2. You can buy from the USA MANUFAKTUR site:

beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 MANUFAKTUR

Here you will pay in dollars, but there is no choice of straight vs coiled cable, as there is on the German site, and the color choices for the Housing, Mounting, End Piece, and Headband are fewer. Here's the box-score (for other components -- earpiece, yoke, and ring -- the choices are the same on both sites):

Housing - Germany: 9 choices / USA: 3 choices

Mounting - Germany: 9 choices / USA: 2 choices

End Piece -- Germany: 9 choices / USA: 2 choices

Headband -- Germany: 7 choices / USA: 4 choices

3. You can buy from Drew at moon-audio, the only USA authorized dealer for MANUFAKTUR (this has been confirmed for me by beyer USA directly). Drew's site sends you to the same page as the USA site, so you have the same (limited) choices, but then the phones are shipped to him and he does his re-cable and other magic.

There is one more thing I want to bring up -- Larry at headphile is a beyer wizard. If you don't want two pairs of phones, 990/600 and 770/600, Larry can turn the 990's in to a closed back phone with a woody cup. Check him out at headphile... artistry & design... headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody, darth beyer, terminator v4, grado vixen and more.... I think you will get something in-between modded 990s and his Viper phone ... I can't speak for him, he'll tell you honestly what he can and can't do.

I love Larry and Drew equally ... have given both a lot of business.

You cannot go wrong with the beyer 600 ohm line. I mean right now the 770/600 is thumping his chest, bullying the Ultrasone Pro 750 and pushing it all around the listening room. I gotta go and break up the fight.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard the 990/600 a few times, but I own the 880/600 and 770/600, both MANUFAKTUR, and listen all the time. I even had a custom amp built by QESLabs for these. The 770/600 is an excellent closed phone (in fact I think I am going to sell my trusty Ultrasone because the 770/600 is so good), but the sound signature is not like a "closed 880": mid-range is more pronounced. Just so you know.

Let's look at the options mentioned in more detail:

1. You can buy from the (main) German beyer web site (pages are in English), going to MANUAKTUR. This gives you the most options, wide range of color choices, etc. This is what I did. You pay in Euros, so you are hit with currency conversion charge by your credit card company, and the shipping is more, but the service is fast and excellent. No problems.

You used to be able to get to this from the home page of the main (German) site:

beyerdynamic worldwide

but no more ... they are trying to push you to the U.S. site (see below). But you can deep link into it, even in English, and they are happy to take your order:

beyerdynamic Shop*-*HiFi MANUFAKTUR

You can also get to this by going to the U.S. site (Home) and then ignoring the instructions for U.S. visitors when you get to MANUFAKTUR.

2. You can buy from the USA MANUFAKTUR site:

beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 MANUFAKTUR

Here you will pay in dollars, but there is no choice of straight vs coiled cable, as there is on the German site, and the color choices for the Housing, Mounting, End Piece, and Headband are fewer. Here's the box-score (for other components -- earpiece, yoke, and ring -- the choices are the same on both sites):

Housing - Germany: 9 choices / USA: 3 choices

Mounting - Germany: 9 choices / USA: 2 choices

End Piece -- Germany: 9 choices / USA: 2 choices

Headband -- Germany: 7 choices / USA: 4 choices

3. You can buy from Drew at moon-audio, the only USA authorized dealer for MANUFAKTUR (this has been confirmed for me by beyer USA directly). Drew's site sends you to the same page as the USA site, so you have the same (limited) choices, but then the phones are shipped to him and he does his re-cable and other magic.

There is one more thing I want to bring up -- Larry at headphile is a beyer wizard. If you don't want two pairs of phones, 990/600 and 770/600, Larry can turn the 990's in to a closed back phone with a woody cup. Check him out at headphile... artistry & design... headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody, darth beyer, terminator v4, grado vixen and more.... I think you will get something in-between modded 990s and his Viper phone ... I can't speak for him, he'll tell you honestly what he can and can't do.

I love Larry and Drew equally ... have given both a lot of business.

You cannot go wrong with the beyer 600 ohm line. I mean right now the 770/600 is thumping his chest, bullying the Ultrasone Pro 750 and pushing it all around the listening room. I gotta go and break up the fight.

If there was any doubt before reading your post, it's gone now. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back