Beyer dynamic DT 990 (Edition 05)
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Cosmic Fool

100+ Head-Fier
I've ordered this headphone at a local shop in Belgium, but as they were not in stock I'll have to wait a couple of weeks. My current headphone is the Sennheiser HD 595. Will the 990's be a significant improvement? I listen mostly to pop, (hard) rock and a little bit to jazz. I hate analytical sound, I just want to enjoy music as much as possible. I don't have a separate headphone-amp, I use the amp of the Marantz SR 4320 receiver. Will this drive the 990's well enough?

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 20
Other than saying that analytical sound was just not for me ("hate" is too strong), your stipulations below are the exact reason I went with and love the DT-990 (2005).

Unfortunately, I can't speak about your tuner synergy, but I enjoy the 990 sound more with my Go-Vibe amp. Wider soundstage. Tighter bass. Better separation.

Good luck with excellent purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen mostly to pop, (hard) rock and a little bit to jazz. I hate analytical sound, I just want to enjoy music as much as possible.

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the fast reactions. My only concern is that I have rather big ears :). With the HD 595 this was not an issue; do I have to worry about this with the DT 990's?

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 20
The inside recess is a 2.25" wide circle.

I can't give a truly accurate depth because, I suspect the distance from ear to black foam will depend on head clamp and pad foam thickness.

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 20
How is the sound-quality of the DT 990 (250 Ohm) out of a (stereo) amp in general? Maybe I'll buy a headphone amp in the future, but not in the near future, because I'm broke now :). How expensive is a decent headphone-amp anyway? Are they available for about 150 to 200$?

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Out of normal headphone jacks my DT990 sounds dull, it lacks dynamics.

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of normal headphone jacks my DT990 sounds dull, it lacks dynamics.

Which headphone-amp do you use? Is it an expensive one?

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 20
i think the dt990 is going to be my next purchase once i save enough. how do they sound with tube amps (more specifically the darkvoice 336i)? too warm? is there such a thing? i've also heard senns sound really good out of the 336i...the decisions one has to make around here.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 20
I wouldn't know what a DT990 sounds liked amped, but currently I've been using mine with a CD player and even straight out of my computer and I've still been very impressed with the sound. If the sound unamped is 'dull', I can't imagine what I'm in store for once I actually get an amp...

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 20
I think Esidarap isn't using an amp, hence the dullness. I'm sort of in a similar situation. I bought the DT990's without an amp, and they do sound dull. But I plugged it into a DAC and the unleashed about 50% more potential IMO. So I'm shopping for an amp around your price range and found the Laconic Lunch Box, which goes for about $100. Other recommended the Xcan v2 but it's a bit hard to find where I am. Because the 990's have high impedance, not all amps will be suitable.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 20
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.. unamped. If I take the DT990 off my amp (HA20 or sometimes I use Total Bithead) it sounds dull and lifeless. He was asking what it would sound like out of a stereo's jack.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which headphone-amp do you use? Is it an expensive one?

I use an Audio-Technica ATH-HA20, it's only $150. Not expensive at all, I'm still saving for a nice one... maybe HA5000
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 20
Out of the Go-Vibe V5, the DT-990 sound great. Out of the Little Dot Micro+, not quite as good. The bass is lacking. Both are under $100 portables. Save some money for (rechargeable) batteries and/or power supply with the GV. For any amp, you will likely want a dock IC if connecting to iPod line out. My entire setup (see sig below) ran about $170, but the GV is already cheaper now, so it might be possible to get it down to $150 or less.

I've got a Headfive desktop amp heading my way. I've read that it, along with its Meier amp brethren match very well with the 990s. The Headfive was limited edition and can only be purchased second hand. A new budget Meier amp is on the way, guesses are it will be $275-300.

The Heed CanAmp has been getting alot of praise around here, but for $400 MSRP, it's out of my price range.

There are tons of other choices out there, but these are the ones I've tried, will be trying or have been keeping my eye on.

I think the Go-Vibe or Xenos (I've also read good things) might suit your needs until you're able to make the jump to desktop amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back