Beyer DTS 770/80 VS. ATH A900
Sep 28, 2005 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hey_Its_Cole

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Beyer DTS 770/80 and I Love the sound, I am useing these mainly for computer games but have found myself listening to tons of music. These phones seem perfect for games but in some music they seem kind of dull unless the music just rocks or has lots of base. Most people seem to say amp them but the amps I am being told to use are as much as the phones, I know amps are worth the money but since most everything I do including music is from an audigy 2 zs sound card, and I have a soundblaster xfi that I will be putting in soon. The highs are there and the base is there but songs with not much of either are just plain dull. My question is, should I try to trade the for some A900s? Or should I get them Darthbeyered, or buy a amp? For some reason I am against the whole amp thing but Knowing me I can get over that, it is just one more thing to clutter my game rig.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 15
Is there a amp for around $100 dollars that could power the 770s? Will a amped 770 sound better than a A900. The 770s are not boring for most of the music a listen to but for some things I.E. Eric clapton unplugged it feels dull. But if i pop in pink floyd the wall, well I have an eargasim. Wil darth beyering inprove the lack of mid range? Either way I love the woody look but i have heard it makes the mids a lot better.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 15
Almost any amp would be better than nothing, and even a "mere" cMoy can pump out a lot more juice, and make those cans happier. Well amped, DT770-80 vs A900 is a matter of preference. The Beyers have stronger, better extended, more convincing bass, as well as better high-end extension. The A900's have a better midrange, but glare in the upper mids can make some stuff sound harsh. Both have interesting construction, I prefer the look of the A900, but the spartan toughness of the Beyers. If you mostly listen to rock, metal, electronica, or other highly processed music, IMO the DT770 is better, but the A900 is the winner for more acoustic, jazz, or classical.

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Darth Beyering helps bring the mids forward, but until you have an amp, you won't see much benefit. The 770s are very power hungry. The Go Vibe and the like would make a big difference in the musicality of the 770s for a small investment.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Darth Bayering is at best a very minor tweak. It won't change the overall characteristic of DT770/80 which is woolly upped/mid bass all over the place, sucked out mids and weird highs.

If you don't like, no amount of recabling or minor tweaking will fix the sound to be something completely different.

And Yes, I've tried it myself.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 15
I wouldn't describe the dt770 as having weird highs, and darth beyering definitely helps with the mids. The basic drawback to the 770s is they require a good bit of current to get the most out of them.

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 15
well it's really the recabling that does it. The cable gives the dt770 a very decent and nice midrange (with an amp). not sure the wood does much to the sound signature - I have heard a dt770/80 recabled and no wood and now have the dt770/250 woodied and recabled. the dt770/80 seemed more balanced overall with the cable while the dt770/250 just blow you away with the bass (cable not fully burned in yet though - the overall character gets better over time).
the A900 just seems to have a better clarity but lacks in the hadshaking bass department. plus they are easier to drive if you go ampless.

Sep 29, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 15
See I Love The Sound of the beyers on the right music. I was listening to Jack Johnson and I couldnt ask for a better sound. Just some music the lack of mids is very aparent. What amp would you get sub $200? I guess this is why so many people have different headphones for different types of music or moods. I personally want a pair of headphones that does it all. 70% of the time with The beyers I could not ask for a better sound but there is that 30% which is a pretty high percentage.

Sep 29, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 15
I severly suggest utilization of an amp. A 770 unamped is like a Porsche being used by a housewife.

I was also sceptical as a newbee, but meanwhile, I run the DT770 '250 together with cheapish BTech928 HP amp (~50$, mine 8€ from Ebay), which I modded (additional 5$) acc. to some instructions from here . Great sound synergy since then, unbeateable budget solution. But it sounded really bad as stock device, so be warnend not to use a 50$ amp unmodded.

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 15
beyers go great with the tubes - so a millet hybrid would be a good option in your pricerange.

Also you might be able to pick up a used PPA (solid state) with bass boost, so you can dial in the bass you need or want.

But even with the racable, the midrange will still be dominated by its bass. I think the only thing that could help with that is a screened version of the Darth Beyers. So the midrange will never come as forward as on other cans.

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 15
I just picked up both headphones and are A/Bing them right now. I'm running them both on an Echo Indigo. I find that the only advantages that the Dt770's have are the bass extension and the response(great with techno). The AT's have way better high end and midrange and sound much much better with any type of vocal or acoustic music. Out of all the genre's I've listened to, I can only say that I enjoyed listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers more on the Beyers. Everything other than the bass sounds very muddy on the Beyers but I think that has a lot to do with lack of amplification.

If I were you, I would definitely pick up a pair of AT's and grab a premade amp and A/B them. I don't think it's fair to compare AT's to non amped Beyers. If you got enough liquid cash you've got nothing to lose cept the shipping.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 15
The A900 is way better than the DT770 overall, though the DT770 does fare better with some kinds of music - basically trance or any kind of electronica with some serious basslines. The DT770 is also better for gaming and movies, which is what I'm using it for. The A900 is simply better balanced, more detailed (but the DT770 is still pretty detailed), more natural, more spacious... you name it. The DT770 has better bass impact, as well as a lot more bass, and it doesn't have the A900's annoying upper midrange coloration. Actually, the midrange on the DT770 is pretty nice... it's just very recessed.

I'd go with something with a markedly different sound signature than the DT770's, though, if you really want to compliment them. Try the 50 Ohm version of the HD595 - sounds good, and doesn't need an amp, though it sure does sound better with one.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Try the 50 Ohm version of the HD595 - sounds good, and doesn't need an amp, though it sure does sound better with one.

Hmmm...not sure if this will be a suitable advice...depends on music style. They're Sennheiser typical in the sense that they are adoreable for Classic, Jazz and stringed/acoustic stuff, but they sound really cold & clinical if they have to play Bombast-Rock, Hiphop, Electronica, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back