Beyer DT931.....joy
Nov 7, 2001 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5
Hi all, I have been a reader (lurker) on the boards for a while and I just wanted to share with you all my thoughts on the Beyer 931s. I bought these about a month ago in London after carefully considering them vs. the Senn 600s (both were the same price - 180$); anyway they sounded fairly similar to me, that is, both sounded great, however, for me the Beyers are far more comfortable, I like the fact that they completely surround the ears and the 600s had this much tighter clamp effect. I also bought a Creek OBH11 and with my Panasonic 470, this combination has completely blown me away and renewed my passion for music. I also own the Grado SR80s and they are great although I can only wear them for about 30 minutes tops due to earache. To sum up, the 931s are superb, and I think these should be on anyone's shortlist! Thanks to you all for a great source of research!

Nov 7, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 5
The 931s are certainly good headphones, and in some ways better than the Senn 600s (such as pinpoint detail), but they are just a tad on the bright side.

Ross

Nov 7, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 5
congrats on the new toys man! those are indeed some nice headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 5
The OBH-11SE may be an even better match because it has a higher output impedance jack option. Likewise so does the Corda, Melos SHA-1, and perhaps a few others.

Out of low impedance jacks (actually I tried them out of OBH-11 before), I think they aren't a tad bright...I think they are almost hellishly bright. In a higher output impedance jack....they become MUCH more enjoyable...but still what I would call just a tad bright. Everything is relative though, and they're brightness is probably less than my Grados...however the Grados don't have pinpoint details, and a midrange hump to compensate. Maybe some people do get used to DT931 out of low impedance jack...but I do wonder how many people would just say "WOW" if they ever heard them out of a higher impedance jack like Jan really recommends.

Also in Jan's "headphone tricks" page, I would recommend wearing the DT931 forward and slightly lower. This also not only improves imaging, but tames brightness. Breaking in pads also will put drivers closer to ear, and also alleviate brightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back