Beyer DT770s are rubbish and I have a tiny head!
Feb 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
Just got some HD280s today and I can honestly say I prefer them over the DT770s (out of a Headphonia amp). Vocals sound real silly on the Beyers and the bass... I never realised how overbearing it is on bass heavy tracks! Half the detail disappears when any instrument that produces sound less than 100hz is introduced into the track!

Maybe the DT770s were a bad purchase, over the 3 weeks that I've had them I haven't found one genre that they excel at. The soundstage is noticeably larger on the Beyers but there's nothing else to say about them.

The HD280s are awesome with trance\electronica\techno etc (which is why I got the 770s in the first place *sigh*) and rock\metal (not the heavy stuff, mind you), I'll definately be keeping these...

Now that I've put the Beyers out of commision (up for sale real soon) where do I go from here? The HD280s seem great an' all, mostly because of the signature shift from the beyers, but the lack of soundstage and (a little) detail is noticeable. I was thinking about some Audio Technicas, maybe go all the way for the 950LTDs? what about the high end AKGs? It's become clear that I tend towards bright headphones (happy with my CK7s) but I need closed headphones so Grados are out of the question. I remember reading good things about the DT660s, anyone have them?

One last thing.... where's teh head clamp???
280smile.gif
<---
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 27
Which 770's did you get? The new version or the classic? 80 ohm or 250 ohm?

I have the classic 80 ohm version. The bass goes all the way down into subsonics but isn't exagerated. Vocals sound good to me. As closed headphones go, the 770-80 is hard to beat. I've put thousands of hours on them at the office.

But they're still closed phones.

I also have some late 90's version dt-990, which are completely open. I Can tell you that they're beautiful. They need an amp because they won't get loud at all without one.

With the K501 going for $99 at a few shops (check froogle), it'd be hard to not point out that they're great. I mean, mine are home made and they still sound damn good.

I've got no advice wrt sennheiser or A-T. I've never tried their products - except the senn cx-300, which is great for a relatively low-cost canalphone.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 27
Oh wait, forget that. I had missed the closed headphone part.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 27
Yeah, its gotta be closed or at least very low leakage, I thought the K601s and K701s didn't leak much? Must investigate. What were you saying anyway?

I got the classic 80's (heh), which I thought was better than the new version, no? Thousands of hours, that's pretty hardcore, I guess you're completely acclimatised to them. Home-made K501s? Please explain.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 27
I was saying that if you're happy with the CK7 you should look into the AD series from AT. But those leak like cray-ZEE and isolate ZEE-ro.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, its gotta be closed or at least very low leakage, I thought the K601s and K701s didn't leak much? Must investigate. What were you saying anyway?

I got the classic 80's (heh), which I thought was better than the new version, no? Thousands of hours, that's pretty hardcore, I guess you're completely acclimatised to them. Home-made K501s? Please explain.

i own some K701s, and i don't know who told you that. they leak like a m*****screw**. not a good choice if you need sealed headphones, as they make great speakers too
rolleyes.gif

maybe check out some of the sealed Ultrasone cans. i like my Ultrasone HFI-650s, and they have good bass without being overpowering. they don't approach the soundstage or detail of the K701, but you have to consider the tradeoffs for sealed vs. open.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 27
Evilking, I returned mine last week for the same reasons you mentioned. I really wanted to like them, but couldn't. I would try the A900 but not for $250 for a closed phone that I will only occasionally use when the wife says I am being too loud.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 27
I just upgraded from HD280 Professionals to A900's, the HD280 lose a LOT of details I didn't even notice before, they mash all the sound together it seems as well, you can't pinpoint much of anything. Plus, I never realized how super-clamp they were I tried these, they are really comfortable. As a person who isn't a bass fanatic (I like it a lot, but I can't stand overdone) I feel that these are really doing bass well, but I think its all personal opinion. I never really even heard bass on my HD280 Pros. I've never heard 770's , I was under the impression that they were really good. Everybody likes different things though so I've heard. Anyhow, I recommend the A900s.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 27
Obviously the Beyer sound signature is not for you. I personally love my DT770s. I hear plenty of detail, more than my hd280s, even on bass heavy tracks. From what I hear it sounds like the A900s might be right up your alley. Give them a shot.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 27
The HD280 was probably my worst headphone purchase ever. I had a DT770 but sold it. So, neither of those rank very high on my list.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 27
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like my next stop is Audio Technicas. I'll still keep the HD280s as a transportable can (or at least until I find a way to safely transport more expensive non-foldable cans).

A900s or A950LTDs? The A950s will work out almost twice the price of the A900s, will it be worth it?

EDIT: Forgot to mention those home-made K501s... How are they K501s if you're using K301 drivers?

EDIT2: I can really understand how people find the HD280s boring, there is no emphasis on any frequency (not even the highs). It makes a great "background listening" can, nothing will jump and shock you while doing something else. Definately not for intensive home-listening by any means. DT770s still sound like crap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back