Beyer DT770s are rubbish and I have a tiny head!
Feb 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got some HD280s today and I can honestly say I prefer them over the DT770s (out of a Headphonia amp). Vocals sound real silly on the Beyers and the bass... I never realised how overbearing it is on bass heavy tracks! Half the detail disappears when any instrument that produces sound less than 100hz is introduced into the track!

Maybe the DT770s were a bad purchase, over the 3 weeks that I've had them I haven't found one genre that they excel at. The soundstage is noticeably larger on the Beyers but there's nothing else to say about them.

The HD280s are awesome with trance\electronica\techno etc (which is why I got the 770s in the first place *sigh*) and rock\metal (not the heavy stuff, mind you), I'll definately be keeping these...

Now that I've put the Beyers out of commision (up for sale real soon) where do I go from here? The HD280s seem great an' all, mostly because of the signature shift from the beyers, but the lack of soundstage and (a little) detail is noticeable. I was thinking about some Audio Technicas, maybe go all the way for the 950LTDs? what about the high end AKGs? It's become clear that I tend towards bright headphones (happy with my CK7s) but I need closed headphones so Grados are out of the question. I remember reading good things about the DT660s, anyone have them?

Where's an Ultrasone spokesman/Indra =) when you need em'.
biggrin.gif

The 750s and AT 900/950ltds sound right up your alley.
You may find them more worthy, besides, what's there to lose?
If you so dare, give them a try.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 27
I used to be pumped about my DT770, but after listening to my K601 and DT880, they don't do it for me as much anymore.

Great for gaming, though. I just need to be selective when selecting music.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's an Ultrasone spokesman/Indra =) when you need em'.
biggrin.gif

The 750s and AT 900/950ltds sound right up your alley.
You may find them more worthy, besides, what's there to lose?
If you so dare, give them a try.

Here I am...!
Maybe you would like the Proline 750. I also listen to electronical music and the 750's give me a wonderful low deep bass which sound very tight and not overruling at all. The mids and highs sound very good to me with incredible detail!

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD280 was probably my worst headphone purchase ever. I had a DT770 but sold it. So, neither of those rank very high on my list.

Yeah, the HD280 made me hate headphones for nearly a year. Liked my DT770 though... probably more for the design and comfort than the actual sound, but it certainly was no slouch and stayed in my collection for a long time.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #21 of 27
If you dont want to spend the moola for the a900s, just get the a700s. Their actually imported to the US and can be bought for cheap from amazon vendors. I heard they sound nearly the same as a900s.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 27
As you have headamp already AKG K217S might be something you may like.
Out of all closed headphones I owned (sig), properly amped they are the greatest so far.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 27
Can I ask about closed cans as well. I have read here about the HD280pro, we have two pairs at home but I want more soundstage and more top and bottom. I need something that will work with a Zen DAP. I heard a pair of DT990 running through an amp last week and I want this type of sound from a closed back isolating phone

Which should I listen to

ATH A900
ATH A700
ATH A700 pro SV which are foldable and are less money only 32 ohm

DT770-80
DT770-32

I am now using my Senn CX300 and I am selling my GradoSR60 as they don't do it for me anymore.

I hope this is ok to ask in this thread

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask about closed cans as well. I have read here about the HD280pro, we have two pairs at home but I want more soundstage and more top and bottom. I need something that will work with a Zen DAP. I heard a pair of DT990 running through an amp last week and I want this type of sound from a closed back isolating phone

Which should I listen to

ATH A900
ATH A700
ATH A700 pro SV which are foldable and are less money only 32 ohm

DT770-80
DT770-32

I am now using my Senn CX300 and I am selling my GradoSR60 as they don't do it for me anymore.

I hope this is ok to ask in this thread

The DT770 will get you closer to that DT990s sound than the audio-technicas ever will.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #25 of 27
As Evilking knows, I used to own a pair of HD280's. Obviously I sold them so couldnt have loved them to death, but while I had them, I did like them. Firstly, they have fantastic isolation. Not a big factor? Well, if you have just bought a pair of closed headphones, its because you wanted decent isolation. Secondly, they are fairly neutral and *not* boring. Just because they dont pump huge amounts of flabby bass into your skull, or give you a headache with ear piercing high frequency screeches..... if you find music exciting, you will still find the HD280's exciting! I think if you need such seriously coloured sound, it might be worth trying to find some more music that you enjoy more!
I also have the headphonia amp Evilking
smily_headphones1.gif
. Only received after I sold you the 280's, so I dont know how it sounds with them, but it does give my other headphones a low-end 'kick'.

yeah, the head-clamp also gets a bit of an unfair reception here. When I first got them, I wondered what all the fuss was about....... what head-clamp? and if it does feel tight as first, well they will loosen up and you will get used to them..... for me its not an issue.

I just dont get the love for the DT770's, and the hate for the HD280's here, like you Evilking.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Evilking knows, I used to own a pair of HD280's. Obviously I sold them so couldnt have loved them to death, but while I had them, I did like them. Firstly, they have fantastic isolation. Not a big factor? Well, if you have just bought a pair of closed headphones, its because you wanted decent isolation. Secondly, they are fairly neutral and *not* boring. Just because they dont pump huge amounts of flabby bass into your skull, or give you a headache with ear piercing high frequency screeches..... if you find music exciting, you will still find the HD280's exciting! I think if you need such seriously coloured sound, it might be worth trying to find some more music that you enjoy more!
I also have the headphonia amp Evilking
smily_headphones1.gif
. Only received after I sold you the 280's, so I dont know how it sounds with them, but it does give my other headphones a low-end 'kick'.

yeah, the head-clamp also gets a bit of an unfair reception here. When I first got them, I wondered what all the fuss was about....... what head-clamp? and if it does feel tight as first, well they will loosen up and you will get used to them..... for me its not an issue.

I just dont get the love for the DT770's, and the hate for the HD280's here, like you Evilking.

All similar experiences...

The bass goes so low with the Headphonia amp, it's unerving!

The sound overall is very subdued. Really, really relaxed. I've had sometime to listen to some of my favourite tracks and all of them sound pleasing to the ear. A lot of energy disappears though, and detail. Soundstage is non-existent, tracks that rely on "air" and "space" sound real flat and hollow.

I'll keep them until I can find a direct replacement.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #27 of 27
Another DT770 bashing thread and I missed it...what a pity.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, there's at least one genre that works with them, that is Ambient. Never understood how certain members praised for their "highly musical" reproduction of Tom Petty or so.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back