Beyer dt 880 or 990
Jul 23, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82
Sup
tongue.gif

Here's a review of the new dt990. A link to the new dt880's review is at the bottom of the same post
tongue.gif

I'd say if your going to get any one of the new cans, try to get em in the 32 ohms version, that way, you'll have the least amount problems when it comes to driving them, especially out of the less powerful jacks of pcdps and an ipod, etc. But this is just imo=)

that review really got me thinking about the DT990. It looks excellent from that person's point of view.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Plainsong, How's the new dt880 sound compared to the new 990? And are they driveable without an amp(32ohm versions)?

I have the 250ohm dt990, and used to own only the previous version of the dt880. It' not really a fair comparison since I've not heard the new dt880. All I know is that the dt990 sound was the one I was looking for.

I would agree with Wirbeltier about how the new dt990 sounds, so chances that he's right for how I'd feel the new dt880 sounds. Between those two, the dt990 is right for these ears anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have the 32ohm version, just the 250. I know in terms of volume, you can get plenty of volume driving a typical 250ohm beyer from a portable. It's just you'd be lacking in everything else. The educated guess is that the 32ohm version is easily driveable.
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 29
If you mainly listen to rock, why don't you consider Grado? Or Alessandro MS2i if you want it a bit more balanced? I would not match DT880 with your music: it lacks a bit of (bass-)punch in my opinion.
For classical or acoustical music they are excellent. But they don't rock....

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 29
I think the dt990 is worth considering over a Grado because the Beyers have a soundstage. Let's put it this way: I'm not selling my HF-1, but it's in the dt990 case.
wink.gif

OTOH, if you want intimacy, then it's gotta be Grado.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 29
If you enjoy the 'in your face' soundstage with your rock, try a Grado. Otherwise, DT990s are a pretty safe bet for rock.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Is there any reason that the rating and writen commentary in HeadRoom is so much better for the 880? Thanks.

HeadRoom has updated the graph for the new 05 model but not the commentary. The write up is from the old plastic model that was as they say the good old standby.

My understanding is that the '03 880 driver is what's in the '05 models but with reworked enclosures to play with the frequency range of each model.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Based on what I am reading here most prefer the 990 over the 880. Is there any reason that the rating and writen commentary in HeadRoom is so much better for the 880? Thanks.

I have been wondering about this too. I feel more and more inclined to audition the DT990 for myself. ($$$$ oh oh $$$$ I hear my wallet go berserk...
basshead.gif
). And I haven't even mentioned my curiosity for AD2000 yet....
plainface.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Based on what I am reading here most prefer the 990 over the 880. Is there any reason that the rating and writen commentary in HeadRoom is so much better for the 880? Thanks.

Possibly for a similar reason that Brittney Spears & The Backstreet Boys are popular with the general public, but the 'critics' prefer Bach and Beethoven. Draw your own conclusions.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Possibly for a similar reason that Brittney Spears & The Backstreet Boys are popular with the general public, but the 'critics' prefer Bach and Beethoven. Draw your own conclusions.

WTH?? If you have something to say about the sound of the headphones then say it. Don't just insult everyone who likes a certain headphone.

Orrr.... it could just be that Headroom hasn't updated the review. If you actually READ the thing, you'd notice it was the dt990 pro, but no, it was funnier to thread crap.

Say what you want to say about the headphone if you have anything, otherwise, quit with the snarkiness.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #27 of 29
My only question is, do you lose anything going with the DT990 over the 880? Detail, smoothness, what-have-you.

If you buy it from Meiers you can get a amp with it and knock off a few bucks, that way it's possible to get the DT990 and the latest Porta Corda (sans USB) for just under $500. Even by itself, the price they have for the 990 is ridiculously good.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #28 of 29
bob-b,

Myself rather new to headphones -- more out of necessity. I listen to jazz, vocals and rock (U2, Bruce Hornsby; nothing really heavy).

My decision to buy the DT990 (250 ohm) new model was based on limited testing (about 4 hours or so, over a few sessions) of the following: DT880(2006), DT990Pro, DT990(2006), Senn HD650, AKG701, Alessandro MS-1, MS-2. Auditioned with the Benchmark DAC-1. All the Beyers were 250 ohms. I do NOT consider myself as having critical ears. I can't give you a review that dissects the sound of each of them, but only generally what I liked and what I didn't.

The Alessandro's just did not do it for me. More authority with the DT990. Bass was more weighty. And it was very well controlled. I was told after I had dismissd them that the Alessandro's do very well for opera, but that's not my genre.

The DT880 were the ones I had initially thought I'd get, but as I switched between the 880 and the 990, I could not detect anything that the 880 did better than the 990. Depending on the recording, the 880's bass sounded OK to a tad weak. The 990 did not have that problem. Even on Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter (which I consider a somewhat bass-heavy recording), the 990 did not come across as boomy. It just managed to make things enjoyable, packaging the entire music very well. NO kidding! I never considered myself a basshead (and still don't) but well-done bass is so addictive -- and it becomes mesmerising when it integrates seamlessly into the rest of the frequency range. The mids -- all I can say is that it is done just right -- the tone and timbre of the voices, piano, guitars. And the highs -- there is a sparkle there, not sharpness.

End of the day -- I stretched my budget to get the DT990 instead of the DT880. No regrets.

I remembered trying to hear how much better the HD650 and AKG701 were compared to the DT990, but could not really tell. Sure, there was a difference in overall presentation/signature, but I think these headphones are at a level where they are all good and it's more a flavour already (and again, I don't have critical ears, so I may not hear what others may hear). I suppose I'm fortunate that the flavour that I like is by far the least costly of the trio here.

Last words? I find the DT990 to be a very good all rounder with a well-controlled and fun bottom-end. I was afraid that the treble might be sharp, but that did not happen to me. The top-end is clear. I am certainly enjoying it immensely. The only thing I wonder about now is whether I would have preferred to have the aluminium case of the old model rather than the current soft leather case. But then again, I don't foresee myself taking it places and the foam cutout in the case protects it pretty well as is.

Let us know what you finally plonk for ..... and happy listening!

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #29 of 29
That's actually a very good review. One might criticize the dt990s of being too dark (but they're not as dark as older versions by far!), but these are the same people that would criticise the hd650 of being too dark, and clearly they're looking for a different sound anyway. And for them, the dt880 or k701 is probably it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back