Beyer dt 880 or 990
Jul 22, 2006 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

bob-b

New Head-Fier
Although i am still a newcomer to your web site i do find it compulsive viewing reading about other peoples opinions and views
I am just on the point of ordering a quality pair of headphones and would welcome any feedback recieved.
I have shortlisted it to two either the Beyer dt 880 or the 990 (both from the new range)How do they compare to each other head to head,which do you consider to be the better and lastly would it be better to buy the 600 ohm version and why?
My tastes in music tend mainly to be rock(Beatles,Stones,Kinks,Floyd,etc)
Thanks to everyone for contributing to such a good site and I look forward to your views.
Bob

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 29
I am looking forward to a response, specially if the responder owns both and would compare them.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob-b
I have shortlisted it to two either the Beyer dt 880 or the 990 (both from the new range)How do they compare to each other head to head,which do you consider to be the better and lastly would it be better to buy the 600 ohm version and why?
Bob

I have a 600 ohm can and it seems much more power hungry than my 250 Ohm cans. I didn't know they came in a 600 Ohm version but I will be buying the 250 Ohm version...if I finaly do buy a DT-990(2005).

Something tells me that I'll like the 990 better than my 880.

I've never heard a 990, I'm just going by remarks from threads here.

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 29
The 880 are more laid back and well rounded in the presentation. Soundstage is huge. The 990 are more forward, fun with an emphasis on the highs and the bass (I read someone called it loudnessy). The 990 are more active, whereas the 880 are more passive, for concentrated listening. Both sound pretty impressive and detailed. That were my impressions when I compared them. I would take the 250 ohms version...it demands not so much from your amplifier and should sound well.

Cheers
Klaus

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 29
Comparing the pre 2006 versions of the DT880 and DT990 I'd say the DT990 had a v shape and the DT880 a - shape. Which is better? well what do you want? details with the ability to make you cry so beautilfull or a smile on your face while feet and head are steady in pace with the music?

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Comparing the pre 2006 versions of the DT880 and DT990 I'd say the DT990 had a v shape and the DT880 a - shape. Which is better? well what do you want? details with the ability to make you cry so beautilfull or a smile on your face while feet and head are steady in pace with the music?

lol, interesting descriptions...

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext

how do you compare them with your k601?

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 29
I have the 880s as well as both 250 and 600 ohm versions of the 990s.

I find the 880s too bright for my tastes, though the 990s are quite dark. There is not much difference in sound between the 250 and 600 ohm versions although, as noted above, the 600 ohm version is harder to drive. I would therefore get the 250 ohm version because of its greater versatility (unless you prefer a bright sound, in which case get the 880s).

All sound better using a 120 ohm adapter such as the Meier/Oehlbach adapter - it makes the 880s a little less bright and balances out the 990s so that there is less bass and treble emphasis and more midrange. I'm currently having my 250 ohm 990s re-wired by Moon Audio and having a custom 120 ohm adapter made with Neutrik plugs and Vishay resistors and will report back on the results - I expect the modified 990s will be spectacular.

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 29
Sup
tongue.gif

Here's a review of the new dt990. A link to the new dt880's review is at the bottom of the same post
tongue.gif

I'd say if your going to get any one of the new cans, try to get em in the 32 ohms version, that way, you'll have the least amount problems when it comes to driving them, especially out of the less powerful jacks of pcdps and an ipod, etc. But this is just imo=)

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 29
I'll buy that for a dollar. I have the new dt990, but only used to have the older dt880. I can say between those two, the dt990 is like a combination of the best bits of the dt990 sound, combined with the detail and soundstage of the old dt880. For me it's like the best of both worlds, but what Wirbeltier said of the new dt990 is true. It's active and it's fun. The highs are high and lows are low. It's all-around very natural. I wouldn't call the mids recessed but it's a stereotypical Beyer sound. In this case, it's more the treble and mids are forward.

But no, the mids aren't so much pushed back that you get the sound-in-a-can sound. it's still natural.

My vote is for the dt990, but it's all about what you're looking for.

edit - Having had all versions of the dt990, and the pre-2005 dt880, those comparisons aren't really valid here. If the dt880 was tweaked with the same care as the dt990, it's going to be much improved. Yes, I'd compare the older dt880 as an upside down triangle, with little bass and hyperdetailed everything else, and the older dt990 with the V shape. The ooooooold 600ohm dt990 was less V-shaped, but more muddy (good for recordings from that time), and huge soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
The 880 are more laid back and well rounded in the presentation. Soundstage is huge. The 990 are more forward, fun with an emphasis on the highs and the bass (I read someone called it loudnessy). The 990 are more active, whereas the 880 are more passive, for concentrated listening. Both sound pretty impressive and detailed. That were my impressions when I compared them. I would take the 250 ohms version...it demands not so much from your amplifier and should sound well.

Cheers
Klaus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back