Beyer 770 600ohm, any users?
Apr 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gregvet

Head-Fier
I currently use Denon D2000 and AT AD700 and love them both for the things they do well.

My next purchase is going to be a Graham Slee amp (either the Novo or Solo, havent decided yet) for work, where most of my phone listening takes place. I currently have only a uDac as DAC and amp.

I would like to try another can once the amp arrives, specifically one that is harder to drive, just because I can really. the Beyer 770 600 Ohm appeals, but there is next to nothing on here about them. Are they that bad?

Share your experiences good or bad please.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 18
The DT770 600ohm is a great phone and would be a nice addition to your collection. That said, there is no guarantee that you will like it more than your d2000, you won't know till you try it.

If you don't need a closed phone I would recommend the DT880 and DT990 600ohm over the 770.

All Beyerdynamic phones are known to be great, there is not a single dud in the line up, that's why they aren't talked about much, as everyone already knows they're great and there is no point discussing that repeatedly :p

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 18
I have a nice pair of DT770/600's :

DSC01765.jpg

Great value in a closed headphone. Underrated, IMO.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 18
I've owned a full genuine leather DT770/600Ω for a few months, very clear sound but narrow SS and low PRaT...not fun cans at all IME, these are strictly aimed at audio engineering IMO.

you can't get an amazing SS w/ such high isolation anyway.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 18
yea as far as beyer goes the more ohms the better SQ. So a dt 770 600ohm would be better than the 80ohm version

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 18
Great timing on this thread as my wife has recently made it painfully obvious that I need to re-invest in a set of closed headphones for when she comes into the family room to work on her PC.

Naturally being a big beyer fan, I've been kicking the tires of the 600 ohm DT770s. I don't want to spend too much money on a set as I only plan to use them when my wife thinks I need to.

If I can get a reasonable deal, I might jump on them. Any other recommendations for a great set of closed cans for about $300 or less (great sound, isolation and don't leak much)? I don't want to go back to Denons (as I want to try something different). I listen to mostly rock, hard rock, metal, and jazz.

One further note, I did previously own the Shure SRH-840s and they weren't my cup of tea and they never felt right on my melon.

Thanks everyone.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Never mind...

I got an incredible deal on a set of DT770s (600 ohm) headphones today that was just too good to pass up.

They should be arriving by week's end (to make my wife happy). I should have some thoughts after the weekend.
beyersmile.png

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 18
they really need the genuine leather earpads IMO(wider SS, much more comfy), so good luck finding some w/ the holes at the back...another solution is to drill the holes yourself on the aviation pads.

I think J$ is also selling some, not sure.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks leeperry for the recommendation. I really did like the J$ pads with the Denon D7000s.

Once they arrive, I will definitely look into them.

Comfort wise, if they are anything like the DT880s, I will be a very happy customer (as they were the most comfy headphone I've ever had on my head).

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 18
the clamping is higher I think, you may wanna check the Beyer datasheets....well I've never really liked those velours pads, and I'm quite surprised that they come stock on the T1
redface.gif

very nice for 30 mins, itchy after 2H....when you try genuine leather, there's no looking back
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the clamping is higher I think, you may wanna check the Beyer datasheets....well I've never really liked those velours pads, and I'm quite surprised that they come stock on the T1
redface.gif

very nice for 30 mins, itchy after 2H....when you try genuine leather, there's no looking back
evil_smiley.gif

Actually I'm a big fan of the velours. I find them very comfortable and they don't get as hot. Next to the DT880/HD800, the T1s are very comfortable cans.

But then again, I did really like the J$ ear pads.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 18
The DT770, for me, are for sure too lean with the velour pads. They need either the Beyer leather pads, or even better the JMoney.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks Skylab and leeperry. I've just sent Jeremy an email about a set of J$ pads for my new DT770s!
happy_face1.gif

I gotta admit, they were pretty suite with the Denon D7000s.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 18
I have a set of the 770/600s......please PM me with the email address for the J$ pads. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back