Beyer 1990: Which amp?
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bjarni

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for an amp for the Beyerdynamic Dt 1990 Pro.

I like the sound to be analytical and neutral.

Which amp can you recommend (maximum 7-800 USD/Euros)?

I prefer buying from retailers Europe, since i live here. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Do you already own the DT1990 or are planning on buying it soon?
What sources (computer or DAC or other) will you be plugging the headphone amplifier into?
Do you just want just a head amp, or a DAC/head amp?

I use myself and recommend to you for buying, Audio-GD NDB-11.28.
Unit price + shipping costs +plus (European) tax, it should be delivered to your front door for under 375 Euros.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Jan Meier has a very good reputation. He is in Germany. I bought an amp from him and I'm happy with it. I understand from comments I read that he does a lot of testing with Beyers. I think you would not regret calling Jan or emailing him with your questions. https://meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

The problem with a lot of Asian equipment is we get slain with taxes, duties, fees, penalties, and various mysterious or miscellaneous charges trying to import them to the EU. It's so bad and so arbitrary that we are usually not willing to take a chance. Some companies do have a European presence but I don't think Audio-GD does.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Jan Meier has a very good reputation. He is in Germany. I bought an amp from him and I'm happy with it. I understand from comments I read that he does a lot of testing with Beyers. I think you would not regret calling Jan or emailing him with your questions. https://meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

The problem with a lot of Asian equipment is we get slain with taxes, duties, fees, penalties, and various mysterious or miscellaneous charges trying to import them to the EU. It's so bad and so arbitrary that we are usually not willing to take a chance. Some companies do have a European presence but I don't think Audio-GD does.
There are a few retailers in Europe, that sell Audio-GD.
When Audio-GD ships out units (from Hong Kong/China), they will claim about an $80 value, with the shipper, which means you would pay import tax on a value of $80, so almost no taxes, for European buyers.
So when European buyers order Audio-GD (from Hong Kong), there will be no taxes, duties, fess, penalties, mysterious or miscellaneous charges.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Do you already own the DT1990 or are planning on buying it soon?
What sources (computer or DAC or other) will you be plugging the headphone amplifier into?
Do you just want just a head amp, or a DAC/head amp?

I use myself and recommend to you for buying, Audio-GD NDB-11.28.
Unit price + shipping costs +plus (European) tax, it should be delivered to your front door for under 375 Euros.
I have just bought the headphones. My primary source will be from a CD-player, I guess. I'm "only" looking for a amp to drive my headphones, not a combined pre-amp.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 8
I own a DT1990 Pro, i use it as my daily cans when at home. it's my favorite headphone at the moment.
I use an RME ADI-2 DAC which has a built in amp. its suuuuuuper clean and flat.
has more than enough power to drive the DT1990 pros properly.

AND best of all, made in Germany :)

German cans + German amp/dac = perfect.

trust me and its cheaper than what you're asking for. so you can spend that cash on other things and be super happy

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 8
The Beyerdynamic A20 seems an obvious recommendation.

I use a Schiit Asgard 2 with my DT 1990, and I'm more than happy. Plenty of power even on low-gain, warm, smooth and detailed sound. Class A, single-ended mosfet, zero global feedback; a great match with the 1990. I have absolutely no urge to spend more.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 8
There are a few retailers in Europe, that sell Audio-GD.
When Audio-GD ships out units (from Hong Kong/China), they will claim about an $80 value, with the shipper, which means you would pay import tax on a value of $80, so almost no taxes, for European buyers.
So when European buyers order Audio-GD (from Hong Kong), there will be no taxes, duties, fess, penalties, mysterious or miscellaneous charges.

What you're saying is completely wrong and anyway Europe is not one country. Every country has its own rules.

Here in Czech Republic they have a legal right to make the customer prove from bank records how much they pay. If they can't trace a credit card or bank transaction and match the invoice, the product goes back, is destroyed by customs or you can pay huge fines. What I said is exactly correct in my country, in the earlier post and now. It is not helpful for somebody to argue about it unless they have direct experience what they are talking about. Buying expensive products outside EU is terribly bad idea in many cases. And my friends from other neighboring countries have the same experience.

If there are dealers who already brought the products into the EU, then we can easily check the prices and see if it is worth it or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back