Beware Those Interested in Purchasing the Sony NW-WM1ZM2 without a warranty!!!!
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Neilsoto30

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, community. I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share something with you, just to serve as a warning. I had a real bad experience with a sony dap I bought last year a few days ago, so just as a warning to you, don't know if you're into sony daps. I purchased the nw-wm1zm2, brand new top of the line sony dap as soon as it came out last year. Spent a ton of money I don't have on accessories and headphone amp upgrades to it. About four days ago, suddenly, it refuses to stay on unless plugged in. On top of that, it starts getting extremely hot while being plugged in--like so hot you can cook on it. So I had it for 1.5 years, purchased on March 21, 2022 brand new. However, their warranty is only one year. I babied this thing, bought a gator pro $200 case just to store it among three other mite cases to carry it.

Anyway, I never dropped it even one time while I've had it. Only six months out of warranty, sony basically told me that I was on my own to fix it. And they only have one authorized service company that fixes them that actually bought the contract from sony to fix all their electronics. So if you're out of warranty you have to default to this company for any type of repairs. Sony then quickly discontinues the making of any of the components months after new devices come out and only offers it to this company, who has a track recording of ridiculously overcharging for labor and parts because consumers have no other options. It's totally unacceptable that a company as big as sony would do something like this and pass on this excessive cost to often loyal customers. Just a warning for future reference.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, that sucks. Since it's more or less unusable in its current state, I would post in that thread and see if anyone has replaced the battery (assuming that's what's gone).

The NW-WM1Z battery can be found for $20. But I don't know if that's the same battery as the 1ZM2, I'm not a Sony DAP owner. But maybe one of those guys knows.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Hello, community. I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share something with you, just to serve as a warning. I had a real bad experience with a sony dap I bought last year a few days ago, so just as a warning to you, don't know if you're into sony daps. I purchased the nw-wm1zm2, brand new top of the line sony dap as soon as it came out last year. Spent a ton of money I don't have on accessories and headphone amp upgrades to it. About four days ago, suddenly, it refuses to stay on unless plugged in. On top of that, it starts getting extremely hot while being plugged in--like so hot you can cook on it. So I had it for 1.5 years, purchased on March 21, 2022 brand new. However, their warranty is only one year. I babied this thing, bought a gator pro $200 case just to store it among three other mite cases to carry it.

Anyway, I never dropped it even one time while I've had it. Only six months out of warranty, sony basically told me that I was on my own to fix it. And they only have one authorized service company that fixes them that actually bought the contract from sony to fix all their electronics. So if you're out of warranty you have to default to this company for any type of repairs. Sony then quickly discontinues the making of any of the components months after new devices come out and only offers it to this company, who has a track recording of ridiculously overcharging for labor and parts because consumers have no other options. It's totally unacceptable that a company as big as sony would do something like this and pass on this excessive cost to often loyal customers. Just a warning for future reference.

House insurance should normally cover that for you, if its already broke, drop it on the ground and get a few scuffs on it and then get in touch with your home insurance company and tell them you were running and it fell out of your pocket, as normally they do cover some things like this up to a certain amount.

But if you have a decent insurance company, you shouldn’t need to run and drop it.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 7
If you go to Asia, the repair centers there are much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back