Better than a cd-3000 ? Need some help..
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Drahtaar

Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm french so excuse my poor english by advance. And be nice for using simple words...
bigsmile_face.gif

I am here to find some help.
I have a Sony CD-3000. Il love it but it begins to be old.
I don't have shops in my town to listen good headphones. Il am looking for a headphone to replace perharps my cd-3000 but il would like a better one.
I saw the Edition 9 but it costs a lot... what do you think about it compared to the cd-3000 ? Do you have other suggestions ? Is ther some headphoens which can be better than the cd-3000 ?
For informations, I don't have head amplifier. But I will buy one later.
Thnaks by advance for yours answer.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 is worth looking into. It's one of the most enjoyable phones I've ever listened to, and the price is very agreeable. On head-fi its talked about as one of the absolute top bargains money get buy
smily_headphones1.gif
I had them for almost a year, and I still miss them...

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 9
To me the a900 would be a downgrade from the cd3000, .
What I love about the cd3000 is how they make most of the music flow so easy and make it so involving and pleasant.
The edition 9 keeps that character while improving on the bass and mediums making them less treble focused than the cd3000 . It is also much more solid than the cd3000 so keeping it for a long time doesn't seem like a problem.
It took me a while to find a headphone that could replace my cd3000 and the Ed 9 was the one
smily_headphones1.gif
and definitly worth its price.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your responses and help.
I saw the A900 and I was asking myself how it could be compared to the cd-3000. But I think the edition9 is better to succeed th cd-3000. Hawat, your opinion is very interesting cause you had the cd-3000 and now you got the edition 9. So I know now that the edition 9 is a step above the cd-3000. But his price is high too...

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Well a bit like a shortcut, getting the e9 directly could save you from buying a bunch of different headphones like I did while looking for something to replace the cd3000.
Although now It has become some kind of addiction like many members in head-fi and I keep buying different headphones out of curiosity anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 9
At least one, very strong (former) CD3000 supporter has stated his current preference for all things Ultrasone. At least their top can's (Pro750/900/Edition9).

I've never been a fan of the Sony CD3000, but can vouch for the Ultrasone Proline 750's as a top-notch can. It's a good "budget" alternative if the Ed9 is too rich for your blood. The PRO900 is relatively new, and I haven't heard it yet, but early reports are promising.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 9
The ATH-A900 limited edition (or a modded and re-cabled Art which I have compared to the Limited) is a pleasant and enjoyable and relaxing headphone with nice frequency balance, BUT it lacks detail and resolution and in complex musical pieces it becomes cloudy and congested sounding. This would be disappointing to someone who likes the CD3000.

The Edition 9 he mentioned has all the detail and resolution of the CD3000 along with the pounding bass the CD3000 is missing. I would take the Edition 9 over the CD3000 any day (as I would over the ATH-W5000 that sounded similar to CD3000).

Another alternative is the markl modded and recabled Denon D5000, which also expands on all the positive traits of the CD3000 like detail and treble, while improving the bass enormously as well. It is a more polite headphone than the Edition 9, but I would not be able to decide which I like better - I want both (have the Edition 9 now, and just returned the review sample of the Denon).

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 9
You are making me curious with your markl modded review d5000.
argg! oh no my wallet is trying to run away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back