Better SS amp than EC Black Widow for HD800?
Aug 8, 2017 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ahmadfaizadnan

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been reading through numbers of threads and post pretty much the same question to these threads. Just wonder if anyone have any opinion about it here. I've been reading great thing about HD800 pairs with ECBW; thus, I am just wondering if there's any SS amp that is better than the ECBW? Plus, the black widow is no longer in production.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Best possible scenario, you'll get some subjective impressions that will hardly match your preferences.
It's really hard to say what's best when we talk about you enjoying your music at your preferred listening levels.

You can check the Bryston BHA-1, Auralic Taurus MKII and Violectric V281. Try them if you have the chance.

Keep in mind that no properly engineered amp should/will change the headphone's character.
If you like HD800's signature then plenty of SS amps would work very well.
If you don't like HD800's signature, then it might be wiser to look somewhere else.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Best possible scenario, you'll get some subjective impressions that will hardly match your preferences.
It's really hard to say what's best when we talk about you enjoying your music at your preferred listening levels.

You can check the Bryston BHA-1, Auralic Taurus MKII and Violectric V281. Try them if you have the chance.

Keep in mind that no properly engineered amp should/will change the headphone's character.
If you like HD800's signature then plenty of SS amps would work very well.
If you don't like HD800's signature, then it might be wiser to look somewhere else.

I love the hd800 and I thought it pairs well with my current system (wyrd + x-sabre + liquid carbon). I just thought an extra clarity with warm tonality to it could be my end game setup. I've read a lot about the EC black widow and it is an awesome pair with the HD800. But, currently there's no ECBW in production and it is hard to get one used because most people not willing to sell theirs. I tried to contact EC if they will produce more ECBW in the near future but they haven't replied yet.

So, I am just wondering if there's any SS amp that sounds similar if not better than the ECBW for HD800.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Not a direct answer to your question regarding a different amp recommendation, but I find the Sonarworks Reference 4 Systemwide average calibration profile for my HD800 improves it greatly when listening on my Audio GD NFB 28.38. I cannot listen to the stock HD800 frequency response from a SS amp. I do not have a tube amp, so can't say what difference that would make. Sonarworks has a 21 day trail or something like that, so its free to check it out. You can also tilt the requency response to be warmer or cooler which I find useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back