better headphones than creative aurvana live?
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

matase

New Head-Fier
I am looking for cheap portable, low profile headphones that are less than $60 bucks.  I saw a deal on amazon for creative live for $55 bucks, but just a few minutes ago they went up to $65.  Anyway, is there anything better for around $60 or less? It seems like the head band of lives projects outward a little bit before clamping onto a head.  For a little lower profile, I was looking at crossfade LP, which occasionally go on sale for around $65 but there isn't any guarantee that they will be on sale again because most stores have discontinued them.  I enjoy all kinds of music, but I do like a good bass response. Any suggestions

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 20
I have this headphone. To say the least about the sound quality, it will suffice for your taste, as I listen to many genres too. As far as portability goes, it's not that good IMO. It doesn't isolate from loud outside noise that well (normal conversations and the like are isolated pretty well, except if you're going to using it in the subway or any loud environment), it's not low profile, and it doesn't have a collapsible design for portable storage. 

But for a home use headphone, it suits me personally. 

Sadly, my headphones experience are pretty low, but that said, I do read around a lot here (too much in my opinion though). But I feel bad to myself if I were to recommend something I personally haven't heard at least once/briefly.

Hope this helps in any way though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 20
If they suck in terms of portability and they aren't that sleek, I have to look for some alternatives. 
My friend let me try out his bose OE2.  I really like how they fit my head and the sound was really good, but they are just too expensive.

Right now I am also looking at beyerdynamic DT235, Shure SHR240(which look littly bulky), and maybe Koss Prodj 100.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm sure someone with more headphones experience would chime in later, if not sooner. But in the mean time, might I suggest to look up at the MASSIVE comparison thread for portable headphones by joker? He had like 200+ 'phones tested already, in almost all price brackets. IIRC, it was pinned.

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-98-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-pq2-and-philips-oneill-sho9560-added-01-02-12

Of course, hearing being very subjective, take all the impressions with a pinch of salt.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 20
The JVC HAS650 at around $40 is quite compact. It has good bass for a compact headphone. It has a warm sound signature. I don't know if it is better than the CAL, however it is much more compact.

Can you get the Koss pro DJ100 for under $60? It seems like it is $80 everywhere.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 20
i hear the CALs arent even worth 60, try some soundmagics or some tdk1000s instead

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 20
Something that I wore today that is so obvious, may fit you actually. The ever venerable Koss PortaPro. It has everything you want, and more, OP. That's what I feel like when I compare it to my CAL!. To note, I had my CAL first and the PP months later. I liked the PP more, even out of the box.

The only downside, and it's quite major, depending on your priorities, is that the PP are open. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 20
The Portapro has boomy bass and is treble deficient. Imo the Sennheiser PX100 sounds much better. For those who do like the Portapro sound though, the Sportapro  sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro, but is half the price.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
The Portapro has boomy bass and is treble deficient. Imo the Sennheiser PX100 sounds much better. For those who do like the Portapro sound though, the Sportapro  sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro, but is half the price.

I can't not agree with you as I haven't heard the Senn PX100, but IMO the PortaPro don't have that much boominess. Maybe in comparison with more higher end cans, but I did compared it with the Senn HD558 and 598. I can say the PortaPro has more subbass and lesser warmth compared to both of those Senns but didn't compromise much on the details.

Regarding the treble though, IMO they aren't deficient. The mids are a bit recessed, but after doing the quarter mod (cutting out a quarter-sized whole on the ear cushions, in case anyone is wondering), the mids aren't recessed anymore and the highs got sparkly. 

All of this are of course IMO, so take that as it is. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 20
Grab the Creative Aurvana Live while they're still available.

You won't find any headphone with such speed and resolution at this price range, they're an absolute bargain.

They use biocellulose drivers like the Denon D10001/2000/5000/7000 and former Sony top of the line headphones.Check Tyll's report on InnerFidelity.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 20
CALs use to sell normally for around $80-$90.
CALs price on amazon is changing all the time, check it a few times a day.
Bountii is a good website for finding the best price.
Also Creative themselves will some times have the best price.
Check eBay fir used ones.
But your really not going to find any headphones better then the CALs in the $60 price range.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 20
+1 I used to own both the CALs sound much better than the px1`00s.

Quote:
I own px-100 and d1001. D1001 sounds waaay better. So should the CALs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back