Better Earbud fitment = better sound?
Sep 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xicex

New Head-Fier
Is this just (me) psychological or does earbuds that sit deeper in your (my) ear sound better?

I think they sound better when I push them into my head...

Or do I just need to pump the volume to get the same effect? 

There's a lot of talk about seals, size, foamies, silicone, flanges, and blah with IEMs..
But not a lot of talk on fitment with earbuds.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 5
They are designed to be leaky and are tuned to work fine in a leaky setup just resting in the ear.  However, the manufacturer has little control over how the ear is shaped around the bud, so the respose for one person will end up a little different for another person. How you move them around in the ear which change the frequency response.  You can also play with covers to change the daimeter and dependin on the cover used, you might even be able to stuff it a little bit and help close off the space.  There will be a natural spot that the earphone sits most of the time, and if you are comparing earphones or EQing them, you should work from this point.  Just keep an open mind about modding them a little to change the fitment some.  You do have some control over the response doing this.

Frankly, I like earbuds.  You get a big can sound in a tiny package.  It seems easier to get a more open presentation from them versus IEMs.  The only downside is most earbuds do roll off on the bottom end for bass response due to the leaky fit and small driver.  Many will either be treble strong or midbass strong.  It's more rare to get a really well balanced one and one that extends tremendously on both ends. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 5
The better fitting you have with earbuds, the better bass (or low frequency) you will get. Sponge is hard to make different thickness as S,M,L rubber tip. Donut Sponge help to improve high frequency a bit, but thickness is almost the same. We are doing research about an equipment that help earbuds user have good fitting, too.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a pair of yuin pk-2s which sound great with the first generation ipod shuffle, but if I go running and they become slightly loose, the bass rolls off. However, if I push them in without closing the backs, they sound pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back