Better deal than an iPod classic?
Jun 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 29

Quote:

If I have to resort to typing anything in using the click wheel thingy I've already lost.  I have to admit that I have never actually used the search feature on the iPod Classic.  It's just too inconvenient to "type" on that thing.  That's one area where the classic style interface falls short.  Plus the iPod search looks for song titles.  If I want to search I'm after artist or album.

I find what I want to listen to either by scrolling through the artists list or scrolling through cover flow.  Or by going to a saved playlist.  Everything on my iPod is full albums.  Individual songs don't interest me.  I'm weird that way.

Really? I thought it still grouped by artists, genre, etc. Oh well, it's something that you just have to get used to I guess, much like iTunes
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 29
I too hate to usethe search function so I use extensive use of playlist folders to organize my music..
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
Really? I thought it still grouped by artists, genre, etc. Oh well, it's something that you just have to get used to I guess, much like iTunes
rolleyes.gif

I don't like iTunes either.  :)
That's another redeeming quality of the iPod Classic.  Third party software has reverse engineered how to sync to it.  You never need to use iTunes except to update firmware and such.  The Touch and iPhone though are more locked down.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 29
Although I might not use it, I still have one more question: can you use the EQ when listening through the line out?

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
With an iPod? Yep you can EQ it with the presets. 

Yes, but while using the line out? Or is it only while using the headphone out?

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
HiFiMan is less competent than a $30 player (Clip+ anyone), read the 'dfkt' post.
Classic is awesome, get a LOD (cheapest ones go for $4 on the Bay, that is, if you don't believe the cable mythin' hype), a good amp, then start playing with IEMs.
Then there's always the iMod, but instead of buying one from ALO (or sending your Video in) you can do it yourself and save anywhere between a boatload and a sh!tload of cash.

Quote:

While it is good to read various opinions his is not the only one, regardless of how extensive or well researched it may be. I have the iPod Classic, iPod 5.5 w/ a 240 Gb HD,  two iPhone 3G, and the HM-801 and there is not comparison, the HM-801 sounds far better. Where the iPods shine is in the user interface thanks to iTunes.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 29
^THat's what I thought the instant I read that thread with the DAP comparison.... I don't see how people can think the HIfiman sounds..... not as good when it's only showing frequency graphs. How do those tell you how well the player actually sounds? I don't think people grasp all of the variables there are when choosing a DAP. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 29
Glad to hear it Miguel. That alleged 801 review ranked up there with the AMP3 review from the same source. Noting definitive about it. As you say, good to get many views, but listening and the way your gear meshes is what counts, not charts, graphs, etc.

Quote:
While it is good to read various opinions his is not the only one, regardless of how extensive or well researched it may be. I have the iPod Classic, iPod 5.5 w/ a 240 Gb HD,  two iPhone 3G, and the HM-801 and there is not comparison, the HM-801 sounds far better. Where the iPods shine is in the user interface thanks to iTunes.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 29
How long can you go between recharges.  Living on a Tropical island.  I can put a few lossless play lists together before I leave home.  Plus one or two current TV shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif   Is there anything better for the same price and capacity?

Maybe something for less cost, with less unused capacity.  I have a few ipods and a Touch, had an iPhone.  But usually when I go out, I drop a Fat Nano in my silk shirt pocket, and just go for it.  No way do I need 32 GB or even 8 GB, of recorded music before I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back