better computer sound card , worth it?
Dec 21, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

soundmachine

New Head-Fier
hi guys,

I recently just bought a pari of Beyerdynamic DT770's and I will write a short review of them soon.

I was wondering , because i have my computer hooked up to my stereo, i run my music from my computer running through the stereo.

I was wondering, I only use on board audio on the computer , if i have a better sound card , will that make my music sound alot better?

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 24
Short answer is, yes.

If you want to investigate the options of using your computer as a hi-fi source you can look at the forum dedicated to "Computer as Source" in the forums list.

Many of us here at head-fi use our computers as our main sources. There are many routes you can take to improve the sound outputted from your computer. Almost anything will sound better than onboard sound if you are using high-quality digital copies of your music. I'm not going to promise anything if you have all your music stored in 128Kb/s .mp3.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 24
I may be new to the whole audiophile thing, but one thing I can tell you is a better sound card will not only make a difference in your sound quality, it will make a complete leap. For example, here is my life story of sound cards..

Onboard something in my first computer: I was a very young man and didn't know that all sound was not equal..

Upgraded to soundblaster audigy: Not bad, that's a good boost in quality..

Upgraded to soundblaster audigy 2 ZS: Dear lord, what a huuuge improvement over the audigy 1!

Upgraded to X-fi extremegamer: ... Wow... Angels are singing.. and, more importantly, I can actually hear each and every one of them with clarity with this card. The added software (crystalizer and, more importantly, CMSS) makes a significant difference. Especially if you plug headphones in.

May not be the right forum, but hey, take my advice from a fellow sound card driver.. Oh yes, they do make a difference.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 24
A definite yes. At the end of the day, all things trace back to source. You can have the some of the best cans and amplification in the world, but 128kbps MP3s out of onboard audio will still sound like crap.

My personal reccomendation would be to pick up the $25 Chaintech AV-710 and an inexpensive amp (even a CMoy would do to start, a Go-Vibe or PA2V2 would be better, and there are always better options depending on your budget). No sound card will be able to get the full potential out of the DT770 driving it without an amp, and the AV-710, while an absolute steal in terms of sound quality, is incapable of driving headphones directly.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 24
onboard sound is generally bad. it depends on your mobo
a dedicated sound card is much better and actually increases your overall system performance by reducing teh cpu from having to process the sound from your mobo. the dedicated sound card does that job, although its not a great difference in system performance, dedicated sound cards are better...

i think everyone should have a good soundcard, most people havent experienced a good one so they dont know what they are missing out on... get a good one!
this one has a midi port, so if you want to attach a synth, you can through teh soundcard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102190

this is really good and should meet your needs

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 24
Aww. I hate to say it, but you just missed a screaming good deal for a platinum card at amazon.com (was about 130 USD).

However, as a computer hardware enthusiast, let me direct you to the best place I have found for just about anything computer related.. they even give free shipping.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...REATIVE%20LABS

A little tip too. If you don't require the extra ports, the cheaper X-fi's really sound about the same.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 24
Indeed. Newegg was always more expensive on most other computer peripherals and charged shipping. It was nicer when zipzoomfly.com offered free 2 day shipping, but it's still extremely cheap (Think it's like 2 dollars now), but they still offer free standard.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 24
Well, of course, it all varies from item to item. Nonetheless, for this particular instance, he can get it cheaper if he goes to zipzoomfly as well as have free shipping. hehe.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 24
Yep, better source (Sound Card is one of the source mechanism) will always contribute to the whole synergy - no doubt about it
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 24
short answer: yes

long answer: HELL YES!!!!
biggrin.gif

i use my PC as my source. and adding an Audigy 2 ZS (which is supposed to be crap when it comes to music) gave the sound ALOT of improvement. even on 128kbps MP3s.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Druffen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, of course, it all varies from item to item. Nonetheless, for this particular instance, he can get it cheaper if he goes to zipzoomfly as well as have free shipping. hehe.

Newegg has/or had the fatality xfi for $99 after rebate a few days ago, may still be going on.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 24
First, I have on-board sound card, AC`97. Then I buy some very very cheap "Creative PCI 128" and I feel general improvements: more detail, bass was better and without so much distorzion at high volume and there was much more volume. Then I buy "Creative Live", also cost me very small money and I fell again general improvements.
What I want to say, many people use their on-board sound card and they dont know that for only few dollars can bought a decent, second-hand sound card, much better than AC`97 and something alike that. And where is just some better and newer card like "X-fi"....but for start one "Creative Live" is very good choice.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I have on-board sound card, AC`97. Then I buy some very very cheap "Creative PCI 128" and I feel general improvements: more detail, bass was better and without so much distorzion at high volume and there was much more volume. Then I buy "Creative Live", also cost me very small money and I fell again general improvements.
What I want to say, many people use their on-board sound card and they dont know that for only few dollars can bought a decent, second-hand sound card, much better than AC`97 and something alike that. And where is just some better and newer card like "X-fi"....but for start one "Creative Live" is very good choice.

quoted for truth

those AC'97 codecs found on most motherboards would be worth a few cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back