Better Amp for HD600s
Jul 16, 2004 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GokieKS

500+ Head-Fier
The title is pretty self-explanatory, no? I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these, but if there's another sub-$300 AC powered amp that you think would be a better fit for these headphones, by all means tell me about them.
600smile.gif

~KS

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 14
I have a gilmore lite I am auditioning right now. The amp is extremely good for the money. See the amp ramblings thread for comments. The amp is very synergistic with my senn 650's.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 14
I've never heard the Rega Ear. I have, however, auditioned the Lite with my HD 650s--to me, it was a bit too bright, and pushed the Senns forward. This combo worked very well for more rocky type things (all the clarity/tightness of Senns, with the forwardness of Grados! brilliant for rock), but killed classical/jazz/etc. for me.

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
I've never heard the Rega Ear. I have, however, auditioned the Lite with my HD 650s--to me, it was a bit too bright, and pushed the Senns forward. This combo worked very well for more rocky type things (all the clarity/tightness of Senns, with the forwardness of Grados! brilliant for rock), but killed classical/jazz/etc. for me.

I agree about the forwardness but brightness wasnt a problem in my setup. If you have a source thats brightish the problem will show up with either amp. I listen to mostly rock and blues and the lite realy woke the senns up. Your comment about the forwardness of grados was one of my first clear impressions about the amp.

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit

Which lite did you hear?

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 14
at that price point - only the MG head will probably do well.

if you raise your budget a bit there are a lot more choices and for sure will be better for the senn hd650 ( ppx3,mpx3,hd300,etc)- there is a singlepower MPX3 used for sale at the for sale forum with a lot of xtras that is a killer deal............

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 14
When I compared the Gilmore Lite to the Corda HA-1 MK2 earlier at a meet, I thought the HA-1 was driving the HD650 better (and probably the HD600 too, but I didn't bother). It had a fuller midrange, more enjoyable but still accurate presentation while still having that great bass slam of the Lite.
I read somewhere that the Rega Ear is very similar to the HA-1 (what was it? 80%?) so I'd recommend that one. The lite is probably really great with grados, but for Senns and Beyers it's not that good imho
wink.gif

-Taurui

Some notes: This was the "old" gilmore lite, the new one has superior components and thus better sound. Also, it could have been a source problem or, which is more likely, just depends on personal taste
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 14
I would recommend the Meier HA-1 MKII which I enjoy with both my HD600 and HD650. The amp is very detailed with excellent extension at both frequency extremes. I find the Meier crossfeed circuit to be more natural than Headroom's.

Todd was selling HA-1 MKII's for $300 earlier this year which was a terrific bargain. Perhaps you could find a used one at your $300 price point.

Wil

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
I read somewhere that the Rega Ear is very similar to the HA-1 (what was it? 80%?) so I'd recommend that one. The lite is probably really great with grados, but for Senns and Beyers it's not that good imho
wink.gif

Unless the HA-1 Mk2 is radically different to the Mk1, I dont think its really possible to quantify the Rega Ear in this way, as it sounds completely different to the HA-1 to my ears. The Rega is essentially a forgiving amp with good PRaT and an overall warm and forward sound.... and the HA-1 is not. The HA-1 is simply a transparent amplifier. The Ear flatters your kit, the HA-1 will not. Both are good amps, but for completely different reasons, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back