Beth Orton "Daybreaker"
Oct 6, 2002 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
For those of you who like female vocals, try this cd. She has been mentioned in a handfull of threads here.
"Concrete Sky" was a collaboration between herself and Johnny Marr(that guy gets around!).
She plays mostly slow wistful ballads on this cd. Makes me want to check out her earlier stuff.
md

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 20
This is a GREAT CD. Her producer on this one is Ben Watt from Everything But the Girl, whose last 3 albums are stone cold classics. The previous Beth Orton album "Central Reservation" is one of my all-time favorites. Way, way, way recommended! Beth has an ethereal voice that will break your heart. Supernatural! Great headphone music, great female vocals, well-recorded!

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 20
Damn! I didn't catch that Ben Watt thing...the liner notes are a bit hard to follow. Thanks for the heads up!
md

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 20
millerdog,
Do yourself a favor and make a bee-line for "Central Reservation". It's just a stunning piece of work. Cheers.

Mark

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 20
A new, but big Beth Orton fan here, too. Jude introduced me to her by buying me her "Daybreaker" album, and man alive.. a great listen. In fact, I'm gonna snooze to it tonight.
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 20
okay, I didn't want to let this post die a slow death...check out beth...I ordered Central Reservation....
thanks guys!
md

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 20
If you like female vocals, check out Aimee Mann's new album, "Lost in Space"...

Feb 13, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 20
I finally picked up "Daybreaker" yesterday. Man, "Central Reservation" has been a big fav of mine for some time, and I think this new(er) one bests it! Both are definitely "must-have's" for female vocal lovers.

Feb 14, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 20
OK, anyone here that strange beeping sound throughout Track #3 - "Mount Washington"? It sounds like a sample of key-presses on a cellphone. Always two at at time: "beep, beep".

On my first listen, I thought I was sitting on my phone or something!

Feb 14, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 20
I thought I was hearing things too.
I also picked up "Trailer Park" and it too is recommended. Not as polished as "Daybreaker" but Beth all the way.
A reviewer at Paste magazine actually slammed "Day" saying she had gone commercial. Can you guys believe that?
Anyways, I also read she has a four track EP floating out there somewhere.
md

Feb 14, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 20
The EP is called "best bit" and I think is circa Central Reservation.

mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back