Beta22 or Audio-GD Pheonix as Preamp
Apr 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

inukage0029

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Its been a long time since ive been on this forum, because i have been enjoying my Buffalo32s --> YBM audio built Beta22 Balanced --> HD800 Balanced setup for so long. However, i am looking to incorporate speakers into my setup, and am looking for a little bit of advice.

I need a preamp. I have 2 options in mind. For the first option, i alter the volume control in my Beta22 to have a remote control and put a better attenuator in it (current one is only 24 steps, not enough for a speaker system IMO). I would then buy a power amp/speaker combo that i would enjoy, but i would only have a little over $1k to spend on it.

The second option is to sell my balanced Beta22 and buy an Audio-GD Pheonix. This would be a little bit of a downgrade in sound, from what little Pheonix listening ive done, but would net me 800 dollars or so for my power amp/speakers and provide me with some awesome preamp options, because Audio-GD did a great job with the Pheonix as far as inputs/outputs and a remote, LCD volume control.

Thank you so much for you help. I love my Beta, but im really looking forward to some high quality speaker sound!

Inukage

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 10
If you have a YBM B22, don't you have speaker out's on it?
You aren't going to get a very high end sound from 1000 dollars on a power amp and speakers, so downgrading your already great headphone rip to support a much lower speaker rig kind of seems crazy to me.
I would get some really efficient speakers and drive them with the B22.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 10
You could always buy a GS-X from HeadAmp. From what I've heard, it is supposed to be pretty much even with the β22 on performance. It comes with a stepped attenuator too.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 10
It'd be worth checking if the Beta 22 can be modified to have suitable line-outs added. I don't personally know of the exact differences in output between what's required to drive headphones and what is required to feed a good signal to a power amp.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone!

Its been a long time since ive been on this forum, because i have been enjoying my Buffalo32s --> YBM audio built Beta22 Balanced --> HD800 Balanced setup for so long. However, i am looking to incorporate speakers into my setup, and am looking for a little bit of advice.

I need a preamp. I have 2 options in mind. For the first option, i alter the volume control in my Beta22 to have a remote control and put a better attenuator in it (current one is only 24 steps, not enough for a speaker system IMO). I would then buy a power amp/speaker combo that i would enjoy, but i would only have a little over $1k to spend on it.

The second option is to sell my balanced Beta22 and buy an Audio-GD Pheonix. This would be a little bit of a downgrade in sound, from what little Pheonix listening ive done, but would net me 800 dollars or so for my power amp/speakers and provide me with some awesome preamp options, because Audio-GD did a great job with the Pheonix as far as inputs/outputs and a remote, LCD volume control.

Thank you so much for you help. I love my Beta, but im really looking forward to some high quality speaker sound!

Inukage

how is your B22 configured - any outputs? if no outputs then you would need to have them added, or buy a dedicated preamp/integrated amp.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 10
My particular YBM build has only 2 3-pin XLRs as outputs, nothing else. The GS-X is an option ive looked at for quite a while, but is kind of beyond my price range now that i have the Beta22. I am estimating i could resale at maybe 1.8-2k?

I guess the smartest option at this point would be to either see if i could direct drive speakers off of the Beta i have (adding speaker outs) or use it as a preamp to a different power amp. I want to find a way to use the system i have to enjoy both headphones and speakers.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Also,

@ johnwmclean: Nice rig!
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I just use the headphone out on my DV332 as my preamp out for my speakers (the actual preamp out is really terrible but the headphone out is great). You could always try that, I don't think it will damage your speakers or amp; it hasn't damaged mine.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 10
If I were you I would send the Beta22 back to YBM for preamp/speaker outputs + selector. If the PSU and amp cases are separate you'd only need to send the amp section back.

If you're thinking about just selling the Beta I would go for this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ed-out-483156/
BTW it's basically the same amp as the GS-X with a different PSU (possibly even better).

The GS-X/Dynamid is highly regarded as a preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back