BestBuy **Resolved**
May 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Zodduska

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought a Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB hard drive today from the BestBuy in Oswego Illinois for $250.

I opened the sealed box when I got home and discovered a badly abused 2GB WD Caviar that was manufactured Feb 97 within a tamper proof sealed anti static bag which I didn't open.

Needless to say I was not a happy camper and knew I would be looked upon as a potential scammer, I immediately called the store and explained the situation to a geek squad member. He put me on hold then came back and told me I would have to contact WD directly.. I told him I would be in the store within a half hour to figure it out.

When I got to Best Buy I immediately asked to speak to a manger while I explained the situation to the Geek Squad working the CS desk, the extremely smug manager Adriana lurked near by listening but did not address me, only asking me for my name and number. Again I was told there was nothing they could do by Stephen from the geek squad and I would need to contact WD directly, I demanded they contact WD and work it out while I was there. Stephen called them but didn't get any positive result from WD's outsourced tech support.

So I was left standing there with a $250 box and piece of scrap metal, Stephen told me things like this have happened before and my only other option was to call Best Buy corporate, he even dialed the phone for me and handed it over. I explained the situation to BB corp CS and she regurgitated the same policy I heard in store and offered to conference call WD's tech support which again was worthless.. they offered to transfer us to level two then we were disconnected. The CS rep asked to speak to the manager who was then paged and took the call elsewhere.. I waited around twenty or so min until Stephen offered to go check on her for me. Adriana walks over, looks at me and says "Did you have a question?" I returned a blank look then she went on to explain that corporate basically just told her they couldn't do anything and she figured they would have talked to me more. How could they if she never gave me back the call??? She basically treated me like a scammer and offered up no apology as I pleaded for her to make an exception to their policy. She even damaged the tamper proof seal as she fidigited with the package when we were talking, I told her I was very unhappy about that.

So, in the end, I'm screwed. Sorry for the wall of text, any advice or suggestions on what I should do? Paying $250 for this piece of worthless junk makes me feel sick.
angry_face.gif

**UPDATE**

This afternoon I spoke with Jody the stores GM and explained my situation, she asked if I could come in and meet with her. When I got to the store she was very easy going and told me she would take care of me, pulled a new drive from the shelf and we proceeded to check it at the counter... low and behold it was another old drive, this one a Maxtor from '99! It was perfectly wrapped in a pristine anti static bag and sticker just like mine, to be honest I was pretty happy at this point as I was completely vindicated of any suspicions. Jody was pretty shocked and apologized to me even more for what I had to go through, they proceeded to open up the remaining two drives and they were both good. One went home with me and now im gearing up to tear down my pc and test it out.

So in the end it all worked out thanks to an excellent GM, thanks to everyone who responded in this thread for your suggestions and sympathy and also a special thank you to David who went the extra mile for me and his employer.

After this experience I'll never be leaving a big box store after buying expensive electronics without first checking the merchandise in front of an employee, an important lesson for everyone IMHO.

May 15, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 76
Get chemicals. Blow up their store. Leave a receipt for it, telling them to call corporate if they have issues with their new building. Put a smiley face on it.

Is the seal still acceptably sealed. As in, could it be accepted as unopened?

May 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 76
I'm seriously considering nefarious recourses.. good idea. "Sorry, you will have to contact the manufacturer of the chemicals"
They even told me, according to their policy, if I were to purchase a TV from Best Buy and ended up with only a brick in the box I would have to contact the manufacturer.

The seal on the anti-static bag is still pretty much intact, yeah. Only about a 1cm tear.

May 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 76
If you used a credit card, dispute the purchase. Call the issuer and explain what happened. They can help.

If that fails, go to your local courthouse and file a small claims action against Best Buy. You'll be able to ask for what you paid plus your filing fee. If you're really in a bad mood, personally name the store manager as well as Best Buy in the complaint. It's unpleasant and he will have a great time explaining to everyone why the sheriff showed up at work and gave him papers. Small claims is wonderful for settling little disputes.

May 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 76
Ordered a D2000 from Amazon. Received a D2000 box with a long power cable in it, 5 loose AA batteries, and a Denon AH530 or something. Immediately called Amazon and they shipped out a correct package for next day delivery.

Sorry about your experience with Best Buy. Try speaking to a manager of customer relations at corporate. You can also cause them some grief by writing or calling in to a local hot line for consumer affairs, a local newsparer or a local TV station. They love this kind of thing.

I hate WorstBuy!

May 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 76
Yeah, if the BestBuy is in a smallish town, you might be able to get your story in your local paper.
Be sure to name names and if you do get it in, be sure to send a copy to Adriana.

May 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB hard drive today from the BestBuy in Oswego Illinois for $250.

I opened the sealed box when I got home and discovered a badly abused 2GB WD Caviar that was manufactured Feb 97 within a tamper proof sealed anti static bag which I didn't open.

Needless to say I was not a happy camper and knew I would be looked upon as a potential scammer, I immediately called the store and explained the situation to a geek squad member. He put me on hold then came back and told me I would have to contact WD directly.. I told him I would be in the store within a half hour to figure it out.

When I got to Best Buy I immediately asked to speak to a manger while I explained the situation to the Geek Squad working the CS desk, the extremely smug manager Adriana lurked near by listening but did not address me, only asking me for my name and number. Again I was told there was nothing they could do by Stephen from the geek squad and I would need to contact WD directly, I demanded they contact WD and work it out while I was there. Stephen called them but didn't get any positive result from WD's outsourced tech support.

So I was left standing there with a $250 box and piece of scrap metal, Stephen told me things like this have happened before and my only other option was to call Best Buy corporate, he even dialed the phone for me and handed it over. I explained the situation to BB corp CS and she regurgitated the same policy I heard in store and offered to conference call WD's tech support which again was worthless.. they offered to transfer us to level two then we were disconnected. The CS rep asked to speak to the manager who was then paged and took the call elsewhere.. I waited around twenty or so min until Stephen offered to go check on her for me. Adriana walks over, looks at me and says "Did you have a question?" I returned a blank look then she went on to explain that corporate basically just told her they couldn't do anything and she figured they would have talked to me more. How could they if she never gave me back the call??? She basically treated me like a scammer and offered up no apology as I pleaded for her to make an exception to their policy. She even damaged the tamper proof seal as she fidigited with the package when we were talking, I told her I was very unhappy about that.

So, in the end, I'm screwed. Sorry for the wall of text, any advice or suggestions on what I should do? Paying $250 for this piece of worthless junk makes me feel sick.
angry_face.gif

Common Issue. Reported on Gizmodo and Engadget all the time.

May 15, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 76
Definitely deal with your card issuer on it and see what they can do. Furthermore, I suggest newegg.com for your PC parts. They're almost always cheaper anyway (notice I said "almost") and their customer service gets a lot of praise. Sorry about your bad experience with Best Buy, though, that's sucks.

May 15, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

angry_face.gif

Return to the store with the packaging and the drive, hand the drive to the store manager and walk out the door. Call your credit card company and do a chargeback and reference the managers name. Let them take care of it for you.

May 15, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 76
Good luck. I never leave BB without getting my way for issues because I allow my usual polite attitude to turn nasty if needed. Attitude and perseverance are needed to break the manager...it works for me.

May 15, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 76
Thanks for the advice guys, I wish I had the foresight to use a card but paid in cash.

I'm going to call WD corporate in cali tomorrow and if that fails I'm going to seek out the general manager of the BestBuy. I like the small claims idea and naming the manager I dealt with today, would it be a good idea to explain my intentions to them tomorrow while I'm making my last attempt to sort it out at the store? I'll explore the other suggestions made as well if I don't get any positive responses from BB or WD after tomorrow.

Good to hear Amazon sorted out your D2000 so promptly tattoou2, I would think most of these big companies want to keep the customers happy. I normally wouldn't shop at BestBuy but their sale price on this drive was actually the same as the OEM version on Newegg so I figured why not.. big mistake obviously.

a few pics

536765597_5Xu43-M.jpg

536765731_fHBhk-M.jpg

536765889_HKhRV-M.jpg

You can see where Adriana tore the seal, good thing there were plenty of people around when I let her know I didn't appreciate her tampering with it and she acknowledged doing so.

May 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id be willing to bet they have more like that in stock too.

Yeah, 3 more. I noticed when I bought it that the one I picked up didn't have an alarm strap that the others seemed to have and I thought it might help when arguing at the store but I checked the remaining stock and only 2 out of 3 had it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM me your info. I'll look and see if we can get the issue resolved.

PM sent.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back