Best Woo amp for headphones only
May 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bootleg

Headphoneus Supremus
I have about $1,500 to spend on a dedicated headphone amp.

Jack Wu suggested either the Woo 2 or 4, but both of these come with extra features that I won't use (pre amp and speaker amp).

Is the Woo 6 identical to the Woo 4, just without the preamp and speaker functions?

May 27, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I would ask Jack his opinion on the two. He normally has a very good take on the matter not just because they are his amps but because he want very much that his cusomers are satisfied.

May 27, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 11
you may want to ask jack that question directly. he's an honest seller as there is...with that budget, i'd go for the woo 6 and spend the rest on getting the best rectifier tubes available like a metal base 5AR4, GZ32, GZ33, U52, and U54...or if you're able, go get one of the western electric 274B vintage tube that supposedly is the best sounding tube in existence at $600+ a pop...

May 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Talk to Jack about the Woo Audio 2. I took delivery of mine about three weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

wa2_001.jpg

I have used it with my Sennheiser HD650, AKG K701, and Grado RS-1s, and have found it to be a superb performing amp with all three.

Just leave a little of your budget left over to buy some good NOS tubes. It isn't that the stock tubes sound bad, because they don't. But you can improve on an already great amp with better tubes. When I got my WA2 I also purchased some NOS Tung-Sol 6X4 rectifiers and Amperex 6DJ8/6922 drivers. Since then I have probably spent an additional $200 on tubes. You can wind up spending a lot more on tubes than you did for the amp.

I also recommend that you talk to Jack about NOS tube recommendations as well. He will suggest something that will sound truly great but won't put you in the poor house, and that's really were you want to start.

Getting back to the WA2, even though you may not have immediate plans for expansion it sure is nice to have that option. I have been so pleased with my WA2 that I am going to have Jack custom build me a pair of 300B monoblock amps to drive my speaker rig, and the WA2 is going to be the centerpiece of that setup. With four source inputs I have a lot of flexibility. If you really are certain that you will never need anything other than a headphone amp then the WA6 seems to be a good choice.

--Jerome

May 28, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my WA6 and highly recommend it. Ask Jack, as his customer service is outstanding. I agree with the other guys, take the extra money and buy some outstanding tubes!

My sentiments exactly.

May 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about $1,500 to spend on a dedicated headphone amp.

That's no budget! You can buy all kinds of great amps with that dough, heck even with a third of that.
blink.gif

May 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Hold the phone...

Do you mean to say that Woo can make solid state amps too, or just a portion of the amp would be solid state?

May 30, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold the phone...

Do you mean to say that Woo can make solid state amps too, or just a portion of the amp would be solid state?

just a portion, i was refering to the AC to DC conversion. a good tube rectifier is very expensive, while SS rectifiers are dirt cheap and are "faster". also slightly lower voltages can be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back