Best Wireless Earphones For Use With AR Glasses During Flights?
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dyh

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm interested in upcoming AR Glasses like the Nreal Air. Since these AR Glasses connect to phones via the phone's USB-C port, if your phone doesn't have a Headphone Jack like mine, as far as I know you'd have to use Wireless Earphones; especially during flights where ANC should be helpful to attenuate airplane noise, and the AR Glasses' speakers wouldn't be appropriate for that environment.

I'm planning on trying at least 3 TWS Earphones: Sony WF-1000XM4, Bose Quiet Comfort, and Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro.

Are there any others worth considering besides those three? I'm looking for the best overall product, so I'm willing to pay more as long as it's worth it.

Also, I understand Aftermarket Tips are often recommended for the Sony XM4s. There are lots to choose from, but it seems like the SpinFit CP360, and Final Audio Type E are popular. Is one better than the other, or does it all come down to user preference? And are there any other Aftermarket Tips that some think are better than the Spinfit or Final Audio?

Thanks for the help.

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 20
Hey, to your list, I would add the Sennheiser Momentum TW2 for consideration.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 20
I fly fairly often, well before covid anyway. If you want I can ask the pilot next time. I have also been meaning to ask him what his favorite bourbon is. I saw 3 empty bottles in the cockpit but the stewardesses stopped me from coming in.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the suggestion. The Sennheiser's battery life doesn't seem great at around 4 hours with ANC on. Also, I read the ANC isn't the best. Any thoughts on those 2 points?

My primary use cases are for browsing and watching video during travel, like on airplane flights. I've never had earphones with ANC, but it seems desirable when on a plane.

I'm also going to try the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EQ. It seems the consensus is that product has the best sound quality, although some users have had issues.

Another recommendation was the Technics EAH-AZ60. The Technics don't seem available at Amazon or Best Buy, and I'm not sure if another US retailer has them that offers Free Returns. I'd need Free Returns for this shootout. Anybody know of a US retailer stocking the EAH-AZ60 that offers Free Returns?

Any other product suggestions, please let me know, thanks.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 20

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the suggestion. The Sennheiser's battery life doesn't seem great at around 4 hours with ANC on. Also, I read the ANC isn't the best. Any thoughts on those 2 points?

My primary use cases are for browsing and watching video during travel, like on airplane flights. I've never had earphones with ANC, but it seems desirable when on a plane.

I'm also going to try the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EQ. It seems the consensus is that product has the best sound quality, although some users have had issues.

Another recommendation was the Technics EAH-AZ60. The Technics don't seem available at Amazon or Best Buy, and I'm not sure if another US retailer has them that offers Free Returns. I'd need Free Returns for this shootout. Anybody know of a US retailer stocking the EAH-AZ60 that offers Free Returns?

Any other product suggestions, please let me know, thanks.

Yes, on the TW2, battery life with ANC is maybe 7 hours. The reason I threw this one out there is because the audio quality is excellent and the ANC is 'good enough' for in flight.

The Sony has punchier bass and much better ANC, but poorer mid-range and highs, from what I remember.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks, 7 hours is definitely a lot better, especially if that's with ANC on.

Out of curiosity, did you try to shape the sound with the EQ on the Sonys?

Somebody said that using LDAC they liked the Sony's sound even over the Beoplay EQs, but I'm going to have to listen for myself.

Feb 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks, 7 hours is definitely a lot better, especially if that's with ANC on.

Out of curiosity, did you try to shape the sound with the EQ on the Sonys?

Somebody said that using LDAC they liked the Sony's sound even over the Beoplay EQs, but I'm going to have to listen for myself.

Yes, I did try EQ on the Sony--it's just a 5-band, if I remember? Whatever it was, it's better than Senns waveform that you just drag points around for. My only issue with the Sony's is I always feel they sound a little... muddy.

At the time, my Android phone didn't support LDAC, so I couldn't speak to whether or not there is a sound improvement.

Something else you might want to consider (and I have little real world experience with them) is the Jabra Elite.

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 20
Cool, I'll have to play around with the EQs for both, and listen to what happens.

It looks like the Jabra Elite 7 Pros may be promising. One thing I saw is that several users complained about latency, and I think that would be a dealbreaker for watching videos. I'm trying to find out if the latest firmware update has solved the issue with too much latency, since I know Jabra recently added Multipoint Connections in a firmware release.

Anybody know if the latest firmware update has fixed the latency issue on the Jabra Elite 7 Pros?

I wish the Technics EAH-AZ60 were available in the US right now, since those seem promising too.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 20
Trick I learned when I had the Fidelio L3, it would default to AptXHD. If you have an Android phone and add AptXLL_FidelioL3 to the BT device name, it would then connect as low latency.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Using AZ70W and I'll recommend it.
Sound, battery, ANC, hear through all good.
But it has a fat body. Case size is about good but not as small as that of E8 or airpod

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Trick I learned when I had the Fidelio L3, it would default to AptXHD. If you have an Android phone and add AptXLL_FidelioL3 to the BT device name, it would then connect as low latency.

It would be interesting if that worked for the Jabra Elite 7 Pros, but it seems like it's some technical issue specific to that model of earphones: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jabra/comments/qaibzy/elite_7_pro_latency_issue/

"Possibly" due to the Mono Mode Feature, some users think. However the OP here said there's no delay, even when connected to a PC, which I understand usually has higher latency versus phones: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jabra/comments/rz9sgs/just_got_the_elite_7_pro/ Some users in that thread were complaining about latency though.

I don't know if I want to add the Jabra Elite 7 Pro to the list I'm shooting out, but I'm on the fence about it. Maybe the only way to know if I'd have latency is to test it myself, however, someone said the latency "might" be getting worse as the firmware updates roll out, so it seems kind of sketchy.

Regarding the Technics, I think I read that the EAH-AZ60 was preferable to the EAH-AZ70, although the number is lower in the naming convention. Anybody tried both Technics models?

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 20
Regarding the Technics, I think I read that the EAH-AZ60 was preferable to the EAH-AZ70, although the number is lower in the naming convention. Anybody tried both Technics models?
Hope someone can answer you.
I have not listen to it yet.
I found two best thing of AZ70W is SO RICH sound and LARGE stage.
EQ or stock sound both preferable

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm now debating on going with something like the Fiio UTWS5: https://www.fiio.com/utws5 since you have the ability to connect the IEMs you want to them.

Any thoughts on this idea? I know I'd be giving up ANC, and I've heard the mics on the UTWS5 are bad, and hopefully Fiio will get Transparency Mode sorted, but could sound quality potentially be significantly better than any TWS Earbuds out there?

Also, how would the Fiio UTWS5 compare with the Shure True Wireless Adapter? https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/rmce-tw2

I did see one YouTube reviewer say he got the UTWS5, and wouldn't be going back to the Shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back