Best, well-rounded, amp under $400
Jun 22, 2007 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy guys,
As you can tell, from my sig, I am itching to buy an amp. I've done a lot of research; reading through the Head-Fi forums as well as reviews on other sites. Most of this has been done specifically in regards to my HD-595s or iGrados. But, since I do plan on buying other cans sooner or later, I'd like to buy an amp that is well rounded - meaning they'd play well with a wide range of music and cans.

I know that many times there are specific amps reccomended for specific cans or music. I know that I may sacrifice something in buying an all-purpose amp, I just really don't have the cash to buy an amp for every set of cans / every set I plan on getting eventually.

Other than being well-rounded and under (or very close to) $400, I don't really care about anything else. If it happens to be a portable that would be a plus, just because it would add to it being all-purpose.

I, as always, appreciate the excellent input you Head-Fi'ers have.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 23
The Channel Islands VHP 2 is very nice, works well with my Senns, AKGs and Grados and costs $350.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Channel Islands VHP 2 is very nice, works well with my Senns, AKGs and Grados and costs $350.

I heard this unit with its corresponding $150 PSU. It is amazing! I was comparing it against my X-Can V3 with full PinkFloyd mods and a Little Pikie PSU. I tell you at times I prefered the CI, in the end I am a tube guy. If the only amp I had was the CI I would be very happy.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 23
I don't see this amp on Craig's web site any more but it is a lot of amp for the money. It's a tube design and runs hot, but I'd have to say, that is the only down side. It's very detailed, has a nice soundstage and good freq. response. It retailed for $350 when I bought mine and impressed me enough to invest in the Eddie Current Zana Deux. I think I've only seen one on the F/S forum and that's always a good sign. It worked great with all my cans except the K701's.

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 23
I'd recommend a source upgrade as well. You'll miss so much musical insight through soundcards (especially the Creative kind) as opposed to a decent DAC.
Perhaps a sort of amp like Headfive or Cute Beyond coupled to a 200$-ish DAC would do better for 400$.
Just a thought.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend a source upgrade as well. You'll miss so much musical insight through soundcards (especially the Creative kind) as opposed to a decent DAC.
Perhaps a sort of amp like Headfive or Cute Beyond coupled to a 200$-ish DAC would do better for 400$.
Just a thought.

So my Audigy 4 is that bad? What would be a good, relatively cheap DAC to go with?

How is the Arietta (or Headfive) as an all-around amp?

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my Audigy 4 is that bad? What would be a good, relatively cheap DAC to go with?

How is the Arietta (or Headfive) as an all-around amp?

I remember reading many accounts on the fine matching between Headfive and HD595. The word "synergy" being tossed around a lot.
I tend to believe that.

As far as DAC's go ... choices are many - Zhaolu's of many kinds, Beresford, Firestone, DAC-AH, etc
It would be best to investigate some of these as each carry a certain type of sound that you may love/hate, like/dislike.
Personally a DAC like Monica2 or similar (Mood Lab, MHDT Labs, Derek Shek, etc) coupled to a Headfive would bring the biggest smile on my face also keeping my wallet un-damaged
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 23
Do you think that this setup would be pretty well-rounded for other cans? Thinking about Grados, Beyer, AKG, AT... basically I want to make sure, if possible, that I'm buying a DAC and an amp that would play well with others.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 23
You're welcome!
Yes, I believe it can do justice to many cans out there holding a good degree of musical enjoyment along the way.
Bear in mind, though, this is a personal choice and should be thought through accordingly.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 23
Have you considered DIY amps? There is an M^3 for sale at the moment. The M^3 is a wonderful solid state amp and at the $235 pricepoint I think it's a steal.

It's not portable though.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 23
The M3 is nice for that price and is no longer the FOTM around here. It has good bass and is smooth rather than sharp. The PPA has a bit better midrange and treble detail.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermofreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what does it mean by "FOTM" ?-

Flavor Of The Month: whatever is the latest offering from a vendor that we start buying in large numbers.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back