Best way to trim pot shafts?
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 22
I have not used the flexible shaft but I am looking forward to an excuse to use it
k1000smile.gif

I think it is much cheaper to get a kit with that shaft.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
I have a Dremel 400 XPR and I am very happy with it. I don't know much about the other models. I got it at Home Depot when they had a 25% off sale at Christmas time last year.

The standard cutting wheel that came with the kit will cut the pot shaft in about 2 seconds. The pot I cut is a little noisy when I turn it; I do not know if that is related to my cutting job or not. The cut did not seem to stress the pot in any way because it cut like butter. I also ground down the tab so it would mount flush to the panel. That took a little longer.

If the pot is noisy after cutting it perhaps some swarf has gone into the housing?
It is worth paying attention to this aspect of things when trimming metal
parts that are going to used in electrical circuits.
Loose chips of metal can find their way into the most unwelcome of places
and create short circuits etc if you are not careful.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Looked at that 400 XPR model at home depot last night, VERY nice. They've come a long way with accessories since the single speed version my dad had back in the 80's...Does anyone find that flexible shaft attachment useful? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 70 piece kit
icon10.gif

I have the flex shaft and it's an awesome for certain things. The main advantage is being able to hold it in your hand like a pencil, without the weight of the motor at the end. This doesn't help a whole lot with basic cutting, but for any sort of precision work it's great.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 22
Oh, and as far as cutting pot shafts goes, I'd stick with a hacksaw. Clamp the shaft in a bench vise so that the edge of the vise is aligned where you want to make the cut. Cut as close as possible to the vise to minimize vibrations and to allow the vise to absorb most of the heat. You might also want to mask the pot with some tape so that metal shavings don't get inside it.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 22
I use a hacksaw and vise too, works very well and never had a problem. After cutting I de-burr the shaft end with a file. For something as simple as this, using a dremel or other powertool just seems like overkill.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
I use a hacksaw and vice too, works very well and never had a problem. After cutting I de-burr the shaft end with a file. For something as simple as this, using a dremel or other powertool just seems like overkill.

Quiet now, I need to justify the dremel I just bought on ebay
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, looking at your amp builds on your website I'm in no position to argue! Some great casework there. The acrylic covers a nice touch.

In any case (
rolleyes.gif
) sorry for my repeated thread hijacking, my newbie enthusiasm gets the best of me...

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Quiet now, I need to justify the dremel I just bought on ebay
biggrin.gif

Hey no problem... a dremel is still a useful tool to have for lots of other diy use, no need to justify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back