Best way to trim pot shafts?
Mar 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few blue velvets tnat need trimming.

I'm worried that the vibrations from sawing with a hacksaw could damage the pot.

Is there a better method, or are my worries unfounded?

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 22
I use the Dremel with the cutting wheels....but be careful since the pot can get hot with this method.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 22
Clamping the shaft in a vise while cutting it should help dampen the vibrations
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: That's what I usually do.

/U.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 22
I use a dremel with the cuttng disc and a damp towel to cool the shaft down and protect the actual pot casing from the metal scraps.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 22
A hacksaw is fine, you wont damage it as long as you take it easy enough
I've done heaps of blue velvets with a hacksaw

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
Thank you all.

Looks like I've got a great excuse to buy a dremel.

Next question, how many attachments do you think I need for general DIY casework?

Along with the recommendations for cut-off wheels, I highly recommend getting the set of tungsten carbide cutters (you can normally buy a set for about 10-20 dollars on ebay) with the multipurpose cutting kit.

As for the actual dremel, I suggest you get the Variable Speed MultiPro Rotary Tool kit (one with the most accessories). Its much cheaper to get the kit than to get some of those individual accessories separately. I've never used the 400 Series XPR Rotary Tool yet, but I've heard some good things about them (maybe a good investment in the future).

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
Along with the recommendations for cut-off wheels, I highly recommend getting the set of tungsten carbide cutters (you can normally buy a set for about 10-20 dollars on ebay) with the multipurpose cutting kit.

As for the actual dremel, I suggest you get the Variable Speed MultiPro Rotary Tool kit (one with the most accessories). Its much cheaper to get the kit than to get some of those individual accessories separately. I've never used the 400 Series XPR Rotary Tool yet, but I've heard some good things about them (maybe a good investment in the future).

Despite my smart*ss comment above
rolleyes.gif
, I'm looking to get into some DIY projects and have been researching dremels. Any advice on a good place to buy one? (Home depot & Crappy Tire vs. ebay, etc). For some purchases I prefer going through a local dealer vs. online, any advice?

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Despite my smart*ss comment above
rolleyes.gif
, I'm looking to get into some DIY projects and have been researching dremels. Any advise on a good place to buy one? (Home depot & Crappy Tire vs. ebay, etc). For some purchases I prefer going through a local dealer vs. online, any advice?

Lowes carries dremels and I think Home depot also.

You can always find a cheaper kit on ebay, but it really depends on the seller if they do have good deals. I've even noticed some local hardware shops carry dremel kits.

Just make sure you look for a kit that has many accessories as purchasing them later on will cost you a pretty penny
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, always get the variable speed model, don't get the single speed dremel mainly because many accessories can not be used with the single speed dremel tool.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 22
I have a Dremel 400 XPR and I am very happy with it. I don't know much about the other models. I got it at Home Depot when they had a 25% off sale at Christmas time last year.

The standard cutting wheel that came with the kit will cut the pot shaft in about 2 seconds. The pot I cut is a little noisy when I turn it; I do not know if that is related to my cutting job or not. The cut did not seem to stress the pot in any way because it cut like butter. I also ground down the tab so it would mount flush to the panel. That took a little longer.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
I have a Dremel 400 XPR and I am very happy with it. I don't know much about the other models. I got it at Home Depot when they had a 25% off sale at Christmas time last year.

Looked at that 400 XPR model at home depot last night, VERY nice. They've come a long way with accessories since the single speed version my dad had back in the 80's...Does anyone find that flexible shaft attachment useful? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 70 piece kit
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back