Aug 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bufo333

New Head-Fier
I have a quick question. I have the following components:

Sources
1. A 5 disc cd changer
2. Sony home component minidisc player
3. A DAC
3. Music hall mmf 2.2 connected to a phone preamp.

All of the above sources have rca outputs, which I then manually plug into my Schiit Asgard amplifier. My question is, what is the best way to switch between these components without manually removing the rca cables from the back of the Schiit Asgard amplifier?

Could I just use a mixer? Is there an audio equivilent of an A/B switch?

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I would use a switch. 
You can get this type of signal switch for AV or some just for A or V.
I have seen them with 5-6 inputs that switch both audio and video with the push of a button.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 7
(I can't link to the site right now because of a block on the WiFi I'm on at work)

A Mapletree Audio Line Router is exactly what you need. Customizable for up to 6 ins/outs for single ended components. 

So you could do a 4/2 LR 1 meaning you'd have 4 ins for your stuff and 2 outs. 1 feeding your headphone system and 1 feeding another system. 

Lloyd does a great job. I have a 3/2 from him and plan on getting another 3/2 XLR model in a few months.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 7
I recently acquired a SACD player and am looking for the same thing. I'm worried about a cheap switch degrading the sound. Can someone recommend a good one that costs less than $30?

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 7
What about two pairs of cables from two DACs going into one input on the amp?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Given that the OP already owns a DAC and is looking for a low cost fix the following recommendation may not be appropriate to him at this time but may be of interest to other readers anticipating a similar situation.

A multiple channel audio interface, USB or Firewire, is an excellent solution to the problem.

I have the inputs on mine more pr less permanently connected to a PC,  two TTs, a receiver (TV, Radio, CD/DVD optical drive), microphone and guitar pick up, Outputs are sent to headphones, desktop monitors, floorstanding loudspeakers and installation speakers in the kitchen. There is also a loopback to listen to or record anything on the PC. Plus a S/PDIF loop to a digital recorder. Obviously there are many other permutations and combinations possible. 

The pro audio guys make the best quality devices of this type as they have been doing it for longer for a discerning client base. Prices are surprisingly reasonable. They also usually come with very sophisticayed software EQ and effects packages. You can also use a MIDI control surface to map software controls (mouse, keyboard) to analogue (knobs, sliders).

Top of the range, cannot really get better is something from RME. http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php @ ~ £700.

Middle market alternatives include the MOTU Ultralite http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/ @ ~3350.

Focusrite now make a still excellent low cost version. http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-8i6 @ ~ £175.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back