Best way to learn Java?
Apr 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SonicArmada

500+ Head-Fier
I'll be taking AP Computer Science next year, and I'm looking for a good way to get a head start on Java. Any good books? I really liked A Byte of Python, anything similar to that for Java? I'd also be willing to pay for an actual book.

If it helps any, here is the course description:
AP Computer Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a bit of programming knowledge but I'd rather get an "absolute beginner" type of book as I've never got completely acquainted with any language that I've messed with. I know a bit of Python and bash(If you can call bash scripting programming...I guess not.) As I understand it my small knowledge of Python can be transferable to Java.

Also looking for software recommendations to accompany me while I learn Java. I run Debian, and vim has satisfied the little programming needs I've had in the past. Wouldn't mind checking out some others.

Thanks for reading.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm taking a course in college here called CS 1054 Intro to Programming in Java. This is a really easy course, and the guy literally starts from the ground up, so I can't imagine high school would be any different. For me, getting past the whole "what is all this stuff?" thing was the hardest, now I'm programming pretty easily.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 10
I'd work harder at learning Python (but perhaps concentrate on classes and other Object-Oriented concepts). Once you know one language well, picking up a second is dead easy.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, it you can program and know about proper program structure, OO, etc. - all the basics. Picking up another language is pretty easy. If you wan't to do something specific in Java that you don't know how to do, just look up the class you need in the Java API docs. Sun also have good tutorials on how to use certain classes and interfaces.
If you are comfortable with programming and OO, a book might be a bit of a waste. Unless it's a good reference book like Java , The Complete Reference; but I tend to just use the Java docs online when I want to know how to do something specific.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 10
Hole up in your room and build fictitious applications for imaginary Corporate Giants(tm) ...

Do it for as long as is necessary to become Ninja(tm).

That's what I did, anyway ...

wink.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm in the same boat as you SonicArmada, although luckily for me I think I'll be able to take a programming course at the Harvard Extension School next year. However, I'm still searching around for other alternatives (the course at Harvard is expensive); if I find anything I'll send you an update.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Stanford has some free online courses you could take a look at. There are 3 introducing computer science, but I haven't had time to really look at them yet.

Stanford School of Engineering

Are you going to be taking the first or 2nd AP CS course? I took the first one (computer science A I believe) just for kicks. I had a friend who was very smart and learned to code in middle school. By high school, he knew a lot, and even he thought the Computer Science AP exam was pretty hard, so be warned
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 10
My highschool required VB6 as a prereq. to AP Comp Sci and AP Comp Sci as a prereq. to C++. The AP curriculum certainly does go fast so you're probably making the right choice in getting a head start.

My suggestion would be to take a trip to your local used books store and take a look at their programming section. My local 1/2 price books store had several rows dedicated to Java and I was able to get a decent book for less than $10. I don't have any specific recommendations though.

As for the programming environment, try Eclipse. It's what I used in AP and what we're forced to use at Iowa State. Eclipse has a very powerful debugger and even suggests fixes for coding errors. It should be in your APT repository.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks everyone...lots of good information in here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you going to be taking the first or 2nd AP CS course? I took the first one (computer science A I believe) just for kicks. I had a friend who was very smart and learned to code in middle school. By high school, he knew a lot, and even he thought the Computer Science AP exam was pretty hard, so be warned
wink.gif

"A" I believe. I think AB was canceled for 2008-2009, so I assume it won't be around next year either. Thanks for the warning, now I have that to worry about too!
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 10
You can apparently take the A exam if you wish if you do end up taking AB as I did. My teacher, of course, didn't tell us this until AFTER the exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back