Best way to learn harmonica?
Mar 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking over the past week, and today decided, what the hell, I want to try playing harmonica. I went out to the shop down the street and bought a Hohner Special 20 in C for $26 or so total. My previous music experience is in guitar and piano/keyboard.

I searched for threads on this, but only found people talking about the harmonica, and no resources.

I've tried google, but haven't found much helpful material. I don't know the first thing about how to play, so anything is progress.

So please, if you can help me out in the least bit, I would be very happy. I'd prefer not to spend for a book/video and use some online resource for help, but if there's one out there that really is great, I'd probably be willing get it.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 15
I'd say do a search on youtube "learn harmonica".
Lots of interesting videos (mainly learn by ear).

Also did a google search "learn harmonica" and a few seemingly good websites came up.

I've considered learning to play the harp (my great granny used to play one for us many years ago) but like many things I never find the motivation. I hope you have fun and stick with it. =)

Hopefully, someone on head-fi plays and can give you some advice.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 15
I bought a book that came with a cheapie harmonica. Has scales, chords and other practice in it. Kinda like beginning piano. I think getting a teacher would be the best. Maybe try a local college?

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 15
I've been wanting to learn to play the harmonica too, as my dad played REALLY REALLY good, and has left behind PILES and PILES of good harmonicas.

This thread should be really useful
biggrin.gif
!

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the best way to learn harmonica would be in jail with ample time to spend.
tongue.gif

Perfect, all you need do is commit a major crime!

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 15
I have played harmonica for about 22 years. Don't laugh at me but truth be told I started with the Klutz book Country and Blues Harmonica For The Musically Hopeless. It really really helped me. Especially understanding how to play cross harp, and how to bend notes. It came with a cassette that really helped alot. http://www.amazon.com/Country-Blues-.../dp/0932592082 I also play guitar and piano and found the Harmonica the easiest thing to play. Once you learn how to play cross harp and get some harmonicas in different keys you can literally jam along with anybody.

Keep on practicing. Hope this helps.

Oh and I love SUZUKI harps!

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 15
CROSS HARP CHART

If you do not have one of these in your harp case,
select this text, put it in
word processor and make yourself a little chart.

The rule is this: to select the correct key of harmonica
count up four steps from the key of the music.
(Music in A, use your D harp. )

Or, start with the harmonica. Count up 5 steps
from the harp's key, and and tell
the band to play in that key.
(Harp in D, music plays in A)

Music Play Cross Harp on this key

A flat D flat
A D
Bflat E fat
B E
C F
D flat F sharp
D G
E flat A flat
E A
F B flat
F# B
G C
__________________________________________________ _________________
What follows is not a beginner song. It plays beautifully if you can handle those deep and crucial 3d*, 3d** and 2d** bends. This song is in a minor key so remember, you can’t play the 7d, and the 3d must always be bent, usually a light bend at 3d*

d =draw b=blow
* means bend 1/2 step
** means bend full step
/ means articulate the note you're already playing

Summertime Blues by George and Ira Gershwin

4d 3d* 4d 4b 3d* 4b 4d 3d* 2d 1d
Summertime and the living is ea sy

4d / 4b 3d* 4b / 3d* / / 4b 3d* 3d**
The fish are jumpin and the cotton is high

4d / /4b 3d* 4d 4b 3d* 4b 4d 3d* 2d 1d
Your daddy is rich and your ma is goo looking

1d 2d** 1d 2d** 2d 3d** 4b 4d 4b 3d* 2d
So hush lit tle bab y, don’t you cry.

Now let's use the lyrics of the second verse to show how you can mimic the melody without playing it quite as closely. In other words, let's "take off."

4d 4b 3d* 4d* 4d
One of these mornings

6b 5d 4d 4b 3d* 2d 2d** 2d
You're going to rise up singing

4d 6b 4d 4b / 3d* 4b
Your going to spread your wings

3b 3d* 4b 4d* 4d
And you will fly

4d 6b 4d 4b 3d* 4b 3d* 4d 3d**
Until that morning

3b 3d* 4b 4d 4b 3d* 2d
You'll be safe and warm

1d 2d**1d 2d** 2d 3d* 4b 4d6b 5d 4d 4b 3d* 2d
With mom my and dad dy standing close by

Try that!

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 15
Useful links - I have my granfather's old harmonica sitting in it's box doing nothing - I can't play. I'm now tempted to learn. How do you clean them - exterior nice and shiny but what about the interior - will it need sterilising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back