best way to get ipod audio on car system
Apr 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pschweitz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best way to get my ipod audio on my car's system would be.

I currently have the tape device that comes straight from the headphone out socket on the ipod

I also have an FM type dock, which broadcasts the music over FM.

I just wanted to know the best quality audio i could get without an amp. Thanks.

-Paul

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 5
The crutchfield guide is a good reference.

I have something like this

Crutchfield sells something like it branded Spec. There is also one called ipod2 car or something. All of them charge the ipod and play it through your car stereo, and are far superior to FM modulator and better than tape. I also installed it myself, which is easy if you know how to get at your head unit.

In my car (Toyota) it attaches to the auxiliary plug in back of the factory unit and functions on cd mode. If I insert a cd (rarely) it automatically plays the cd- if I hit the cd button again, it flips to the ipod. The rest of the 6 disc cd changer functions normally. When the ipod is playing the next/ back and ff/rwd functions of the stereo control the ipod, although I just use the ipod for this. I don't really know how it functions on other car models, however.

The only issues are pretty minor bugs. After installation, I had to change the gain jumper (jumper 6 I think) to get max volume- standard is about half cd volume. Also, it is supposed to automatically start and stop when turn on/ off the car- its buggy, but hardly a big deal.

Anyway, I am very fond of the clean design and sound quality. The only equal/ superior way of integration would be an auxiliary jack on my head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back