BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
Hello

How do you control your music?
My temporary chain right now is as follows:

Dell Inspiron Laptop -> Foobar -> Aune T1 Dac -> A/V Receiver -> Speakers
or
Dell Inspiron Laptop -> Foobar -> Aune T1 Dac -> Headphones

Since I'm not sitting right in front of my laptop but on the couch while listening to music, and the laptop is to my right looking at me with a 90 degree to me, and is placed like 2 heads higher then me, I started thinking of convenient ways to control my music: using my Nexus Tablet as a remote

I saw that there is a UPNP component to download, but I don't have any experience with this.

What I need is an app (or another better idea how to remote control) that I can easily search true my Library from my Tablet.
Since arranging my music library is still a work in progress, it's not always the best way to search by artist/genre/album.
I absolutely need to be able to surf my hard disc by folder structure, and it shouldn't be limited in any way.
Of course it's always nice to have a nice looking UI, and all kind of functions. But the main function for me is convenience and it should be fast.

How do you remote control you music? Is there another app then foobar that is easier to remote control (not itunes please)? MediaMonkey maybe?

Thanks

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 8
No direct answer here but perhaps a suggestion of a bit different approach: instead of looking to control the music, try looking to control the laptop. I had a great experience remotely controling a PC using VNC from another desktop. Now there's a version of this software for tablets as well, but I haven't tried it. 
If you're not familiar with the concept, imagine that your laptop setup continues to play music, but your tablet has full view of your laptop screen and control of the keyboard and mouse. If driving the laptop through the touch screen proves too hard, you can always use it as a viewer only and use a wireless mouse and keyboard.
Hope this gives you a viable alternative...

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Hey,You have android device, try something like FoobarControl from GooglePlay, has a lot of features, if i remember can browse hard disk and of course fully controls. Using it when on the coach :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 8
If your still looking for an answer OP, another option to consider is to switch over to JRiver MC. It does ASIO/WASAPI/Kernal playback, although it isn't free software. It has an app you can run on a tablet or phone that lets you control your music remotely, including the volume.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 8
If your still looking for an answer OP, another option to consider is to switch over to JRiver MC. It does ASIO/WASAPI/Kernal playback, although it isn't free software. It has an app you can run on a tablet or phone that lets you control your music remotely, including the volume.

Thanks, I'll look into it

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 8
  Hey,You have android device, try something like FoobarControl from GooglePlay, has a lot of features, if i remember can browse hard disk and of course fully controls. Using it when on the coach :)

Foobar2000 Controller works on android, but also within the browser of any PC in the network. More convenient than VNC or other desktop sharing solutions, because it's easier to use the controls.

I use a dedicated old laptop placed next to the DAC to play files, and this turned out to be the best option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controller

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 8

Foobar2000 Controller works on android, but also within the browser of any PC in the network. More convenient than VNC or other desktop sharing solutions, because it's easier to use the controls.

I use a dedicated old laptop placed next to the DAC to play files, and this turned out to be the best option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controller

+1 for foobar2000 controller, great app. Use it to control music on my HT setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back