Best way to de-core Shure foamie?
Aug 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 8
I use fingernails, put the foamie against the tabletop (flat end facing you) and slowly dig in, rotating the foamie as you chip away at the glue. Don't be afraid to squish them beyond recognition - it will go back. It takes a bit of patience (~5 minutes per foamie) and some brute strength, but I get a 99% clean de-core with practically no foam left stuck on the core.
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for that.

I tried that and the foamie wouldn't "grow back" so I essentially wasted a foamie. I was wondering if there is another way to do it?

The funny thing is that the foamie just wouldn't re-shape but when I put the core back it, it grew back around it. It seems the core provided the structural strength for it to grow back. How Bizzare!

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 8
Sorry to hear that, I've successfully de-cored 2 pairs of Olives using my method and never destroyed any. They do become squished beyond recognition during the process - but if you leave them alone I find they eventually go back. Maybe some fiddling will coax it to revert?

Some other ways I've heard of involve using craft knives or some similar sharp, thin blade to make cuts, that method sounds like it will not mess up the foamie but is probably going to cut off more of the foam then if you dug it out slowly by hand.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 8
How long does it take for the foamie to come back to life after you de-core it?

I waited 30mins and it only came back a tiny bit but came fully back to life after just 10mins once I put the core back in.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 8
I've used Dremel tool to trim the core thinner.  But you have to be careful, if the friction builds up too much heat, it'll melt and deform the core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back