Best way to connect Dacmagic
Mar 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be buying Dacmagic next week and I want to know the best way to connect it to my PC... I'll not use USB... I have a Auzentech Prelude soundcard right now, while it's good, it doesn't support 24/196 digital out... I don't care about sound in games and all that, I just care about the sound of my music, my soundcard have a lot of options, but i think all are for gaming or something that will degree the sound quality... So really what do I need the soundcard for ?

I want to connect my Dacmagic with an optical cable somehow, but the problem is that my motherboard doesn't have an optical output, so if I don't want to use my soundcard, I have to buy a USB>Optical adapter ? like the m2tech hiface...

Can't you buy a little cheap card that you place in a PCI-slot, witch only has digital outputs ???......
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Oh sorry... I knew that Prelude did go optical... you got me wrong... I want to know if it's best to use my soundcard or use something else, like the m2tech Hiface...

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 6
"best"? yes, the low jitter on the m2tech is said to be really great! but it costs 120 EUR or so, maybe there's other things you can improve in your setup before wasting this kind of money on "jitter"

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh sorry... I knew that Prelude did go optical... you got me wrong... I want to know if it's best to use my soundcard or use something else, like the m2tech Hiface...

Many here suggest that digital out is digital out.
That being said there are others that look for transformer coupled S/Pdif outputs or devices like the Hiface. Claiming there is a difference between them when tested side by side.
Your onboard would have S/pdif output and most cards have S/Pdif output also. Buying another device for output of something you already have might be a waste of money but may give some gains.
As for the card, pretty much any features on the card should be available through the DAC.
Such as CMSS for headphones, EQ..etc. If you want to use them alternatley you can go bit perfect to the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back