Best way to clean pads -- Tomcat, Jan Meier, anyone?
Oct 31, 2001 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
I have a pair of DT 770 Pro's that are pretty old, and I should probably get around to cleaning the pads. Best recommended way to do this? Normal warm soap and water? Dry cleaning? I can't seem to find a thread on the subject...TxIA for any help.

Oct 31, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 9
I have never cleaned the pads. I guess all the newer 250 Ohm 770s and 990s have silvery-grey velour pads. It should be easy to take them off and wash them or replace them. What kind of pads do your older 600 Ohm 770s have? The black imitation leather ones? Those are a little thinner, they seem to shrink the soundstage somewhat. And they didn't provide as tight a seal, thus probably reducing bass energy. At least, that was my impression when I compared the new and the old 990 Pros.

It might be a good idea to try the new grey velour pads for your 770s. I guess Jan could tell you more about this than I can.

Nov 1, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 9
No, I have the silver/grey velour pads, even though it is an older model. But it's glued to a backing, and I would be afraid of washing that off, I guess...it'd be nice if I could get a new pair of pads...for that matter, it would be nice to get a new pair of cans...
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2001 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, if you can't take the pads off--I wet a piece of cloth with alcohol and wipe my pads with that. I was asking people if there were better ways to do this last month...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 1, 2001 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 9
No, I can get them off, I'm just hesitant to throw them in the wash, even on cold, for fear of water-soluble glue...or some other nasty side effect (shrunken pads)...sorry, just don't know diddly about what pads are made out of. Maybe I should wait until my sister comes home for Christmas -- she knows textiles...

Nov 1, 2001 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 9
I haven't needed to do this myself, but my thought is to use upholstery cleaning foam when the occasion does arise. Carefully applied and wiped away, there should be no necessity to remove the pads, and it should help dislodge the water-soluble soil that alcohol might leave in place. Also, one would expect that the upholstery cleaner should be harmless to any foam that is under the velour coverings.

Nov 2, 2001 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Mmm...

I once cleaned some earpads in the cleaner. Worked well. Nowadays I simply buy new ones.

However, american cleaners are very different from European ones (there's more mechanical rubbing) and therefore might not be suited.

However, if you want to buy new ones anyway you first can try it without risk.

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 2, 2001 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I cleaned my pad in a washer cause I was lazy...worked fine. The viscose glean might not be as good, but if its old and dirty...well that would be non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back