Best way to clean ears?
Jan 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Megamorter

New Head-Fier
I love my custom iems but i don't get to listen to them very often

i can always feel the iems pushing or packing the wax i have. i don't use q-tips. i just kinda dry the inside with a thin napkin when i get out of the shower.

now i get that your ears always produce wax, but whats the best way to get them the cleanest? so i dont have to wash my ears before every single use and i can keep my iems from getting clogged at the same time

and is there something (other than that little tool that comes with iems) i can use to actually get any wax that may be in the iem sound tunnels out?

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 58
I would say I have an average amount of ear-wax production, so if your ears produce an exorbitant amount of ear-wax this may not apply to you...

The only thing I use to clean my ears is the original Q-tips. As long as you "pull" the Q-tip towards the outside while cleaning the inner ear, I don't think any ear-wax will get pushed back. It also makes it easier to pull the ear-wax out if you let a tiny bit of water into your ear while you're showering.

This is meant for people that have an average amount of ear-wax production though...

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 58
Start using cotton swabs, they'll clean the whole part that the IEM will actually insert into. To possibly improve just sound perception, get a professional ear cleaning by your doctor.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 58

Quote:
I would say I have an average amount of ear-wax production, so if your ears produce an exorbitant amount of ear-wax this may not apply to you...

The only thing I use to clean my ears is the original Q-tips. As long as you "pull" the Q-tip towards the outside while cleaning the inner ear, I don't think any ear-wax will get pushed back. It also makes it easier to pull the ear-wax out if you let a tiny bit of water into your ear while you're showering.

This is meant for people that have an average amount of ear-wax production though...

ya that's usually how i clean them. i wash them like crazy in the shower with the water on jet

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 58
Go see a doctor to have them clean out your ears. I think maybe an ENT does this or something? Anyways they use a special tool with a claw on the end to pull out ear wax.

Just look up videos of ear wax removal on youtube. It's kind of gross, but really cool too. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 58

I've been curious about this stuff too. I found a website for ear plugs that has ear care products. You may be interested in checking it out

http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-care-products.html
Quote:
I love my custom iems but i don't get to listen to them very often

i can always feel the iems pushing or packing the wax i have. i don't use q-tips. i just kinda dry the inside with a thin napkin when i get out of the shower.

now i get that your ears always produce wax, but whats the best way to get them the cleanest? so i dont have to wash my ears before every single use and i can keep my iems from getting clogged at the same time

and is there something (other than that little tool that comes with iems) i can use to actually get any wax that may be in the iem sound tunnels out?

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 58
Do not use Q Tips... Go to a doctor so you can have them professionally clean out your ear.  It's a lot safer, if you mess anything up at all (too much water pressure, Q Tip slips a bit far, etc), you can permanently damage your hearing.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 58

Quote:
Go see a doctor to have them clean out your ears. I think maybe an ENT does this or something? Anyways they use a special tool with a claw on the end to pull out ear wax.

Just look up videos of ear wax removal on youtube. It's kind of gross, but really cool too. 

Well I went to have a doctor clean it one time. It's amazing to just experience those equipment he used. After the clean you will notice how noisy the world around you. The doctor told me not to use the Qtips.The Qtips will only make it worse.

I think everyone should have the doctor clean the ears once in a life time. There is no way you can clean it 100% yourself.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 58
So, I should find a local audiologist to get my ears cleaned?

Quote:
Well I went to have a doctor clean it one time. It's amazing to just experience those equipment he used. After the clean you will notice how noisy the world around you. The doctor told me not to use the Qtips.The Qtips will only make it worse.

I think everyone should have the doctor clean the ears once in a life time. There is no way you can clean it 100% yourself.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 58

Quote:
So, I should find a local audiologist to get my ears cleaned?

If you feel the ear wax is degrading your hearing, I suggest you ask your family doctor to recommend you a doctor who will clean your ears.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 58
i'm definitely going to go to an ENT but will that take care of it? won't the wax build up again? is there a practical way of getting rid of it after you've had it cleaned? to maintain it being clean

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 58
^me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back