Best Way of Discovering New Music
Oct 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Music blog: nme.com rollingstone.com
Clicking random links on YouTube also works well for me

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 13
This: http://goput.it/icg.jpg

Skip Kanye (not that I don't like him just not as good as the others) and work your way down.

Sputnikmusic.com is good, look at the highest rated to dind good stuff, above 4/5 is good, anything 4.4 or above is must listen.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Though it's overall not the greatest place to hang around on the web, and it's usually NSFW to just scroll through, I find 4chan's music section pretty interesting. Look around enough I'm sure you'll find something you like, or just ask for someone to post the /mu/ essentials list or their AOTY (album of the year) contenders.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
What is the best place for discovering music not called Pandora or Last.fm? They're both ok but normally just play more mainstream hits it seems like

You have to invest some time in Pandora. Give the thumbs down to things you don't want to hear, and be more specific about what you type in as a channel. After some time spent applying the thumbs up and thumbs down ratings, you can have a pretty good channel, or channels. I have six channels, and if a day comes and I don't know what I want to listen to, I select the Quick Mix of all the channels....then it is fun wondering what the hell I will hear next!

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 13
I think the best sources for new music are blogs. There's a ton of music blogs and the trick is finding ones that align with your taste. I like Gorilla vs. Bear a lot, but wouldn't recommend it blindly without knowing what kind of music you like. Any good blog is going to recommend lots of interesting new music. I also subscribe to MOG which means I have access to 99% of new releases and an endless selection of recordings. MOG makes it easy to explore new music and sample stuff via their recommendations, playlists from other users, or random listening.

I got sick of the static Pandora station playlists that play the same songs over and over again. Pandora is good for listening to a very limited selection of songs and isn't geared to playing deep cuts off albums or introducing new artists.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I think the best sources for new music are blogs. There's a ton of music blogs and the trick is finding ones that align with your taste. I like Gorilla vs. Bear a lot, but wouldn't recommend it blindly without knowing what kind of music you like. Any good blog is going to recommend lots of interesting new music. I also subscribe to MOG which means I have access to 99% of new releases and an endless selection of recordings. MOG makes it easy to explore new music and sample stuff via their recommendations, playlists from other users, or random listening.
I got sick of the static Pandora station playlists that play the same songs over and over again. Pandora is good for listening to a very limited selection of songs and isn't geared to playing deep cuts off albums or introducing new artists.

I primarily listen to rock/metal. I've never heard of it before but just checked out the website, looks pretty damn cool. Definitely gonna go download the app now

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Spotify free is kinda ok for discovering music, but not necessarily listening to it. The ads just get really annoying after a while, especially if you are listening to an album from front to back.

Haven't tried premium though.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 13
i've discovered most of my music in the last while by reading "best of lists" from first the largest mags (rolling stone), then down all the way to blogs (pitchfork is my favorite although they're huge now), and picking stuff i hadn't heard of.  then i started searching for artists, that artists i like, like to listen to (did that sentence make any sense?)

and forums (like this one).  all of this web searching gives me something to do while listening :wink:

i don't use any pandora, spotify, etc. ever.  the closest i come is satellite radio in the truck, which actually has turned me on to some great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back