Best way for me to check if I like Grados?
Feb 27, 2010 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
Hi guys. I just got my ATH-M50s cans and really love them for the price I paid for them, but they are being used just for work. I am planning on doing a decent level system at home with a good source, amp, and cans. I am thinking I want to do the Grado RS1i or Sennheiser HD600. The thing is there are NO stores where you can sample any highend cans in this stupid town I am in. So my only option is to buy cans and sell them if they don't fit my tastes. So in that regard I want to try a set of Grados. Some people love them and some not so much. So my plan is to try a lower end Grado and if I like that go for the RS1i. If I don't like it, then I will sell this can and forget about the Grado line.

Which lower end Grado can give me a good idea of how the RS1i will sound? Obviously there will be some difference between the RS1i and the lower end cans, but if I know that it will pretty much sounds like this with more refinement, then I can go for the RS1i. I don't want to drop $700, and hate them.

SR80i perhaps?

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 13
For my money, the SR225i are the best in the Prestige Series and the only real upgrade would be the RS1i.

I have owned:

SR125
SR225i
SR325is
RS1
RS1i

And my preferences would be: RS1i > (slightly) RS1 >> SR225i > SR325is > SR125

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 13
Each Grado is unique in its own respect, but they all share the same core sound signature. For example, the SR325i is considered the brightest in the line and the GS1000i is often referred to having the largest sound stage, but they both share the Grado sound. When it comes to Grados, most people either love them or hate them. Even the cheapest Grado, the SR60i, will let you decide if you like Grados or not. Besides, used headphones don't depreciate very much so you could always sell them if you don't like them (or if you're upgrading
biggrin.gif
).

Hope this helps!

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 13
Buy both and sell the one you dont like, or return the one you dont like, depending on your morals i guess.

The Grado sound is taken through most of their phones more or less.
Lots of detailed highs, not alot of soundstage, but the presense makes up for it because its like youre on stage with the band and its personal and fun. Theyre fast sounding and punchy. Can be run easily from a portable but scales with the right amps. Some models can be fatiguing to people sensitive to highs.

The Senns mostly have a house sound on alot of their phones also....full laid back, good weight, detail without being hyper-detailed, warm, bottom heavy, wider stage than Grados but more like 3rd to mid-hall depending on model, harder to drive but can be run from a portable until you get a proper home amp to drive them, non-fatiguing.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 13
An unsolicited endorsement:

You can also purchase from Headroom out in Boseman, Montana. They support a 30-day no questions trial guarantee. You must buy the cans, but if you try them out and find them unsatisfactory for any reason, you can return them packaged as you received them (undamaged, with all documentation, cables, foam, box, etc.). They'll help you choose another pair or refund your money.

One restriction: I believe they ship Grados only within the US. Grado's restriction.

I'm a loyal Headroom customer since 2007, and I swear by their commitment to service.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my money, the SR225i are the best in the Prestige Series and the only real upgrade would be the RS1i.

I agree with MacedonianHero. I find the SR225i is the closest in sound to the RS1i.

As mentioned by mrmarano, there are many stores (not just headroom) that will let you buy the headphones and return them within 30 days. Just buy the RS1i and give them a listen. If this won't work for you, buy a pair of SR60i. They are cheap enough to hang onto and they exhibit that classic Grado sound (of course they lack the refinement of the high-end Grados).

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 13
I didn't know about headfi when I bought my RS-1 brand new for $700. Had I been in your shoes, I could have gotten the same cans for $300 less.

The cheapest idea of the Grado sound is the SR60. It's a plastic Grado with the least amount of improvement but it will give you the house sound at $79 new. I agree with those who say to just buy the RS-1 used. That way, you don't have to wonder whether the Grado you've just bought was close enough to the sound signature of the $700 RS-1.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyfüd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each Grado is unique in its own respect, but they all share the same core sound signature. For example, the SR325i is considered the brightest in the line and the GS1000i is often referred to having the largest sound stage, but they both share the Grado sound. When it comes to Grados, most people either love them or hate them. Even the cheapest Grado, the SR60i, will let you decide if you like Grados or not. Besides, used headphones don't depreciate very much so you could always sell them if you don't like them (or if you're upgrading
biggrin.gif
).

Hope this helps!

The GS1000 does not sound like other grados

The sr60 - sr225, and RS1/RS2 have the "grado" sound, to varying degrees to refinement

sr325 is overly bright, GS1000 has scooped mids

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 13
The sr225i are my portable rock/metal phones. Shorter cable and 1/8 plug mod.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 13
I don't see why so many people hesitate to recommend the SR60i. It's a great headphone, low cost, easily had for around $60-65 on the FS forums that more than represents Grado's general sound. I would definitely say that if you don't like the SR60i, you won't like any John Grado 'phone, period, so don't waste your money and start small.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with MacedonianHero. I find the SR225i is the closest in sound to the RS1i.

As mentioned by mrmarano, there are many stores (not just headroom) that will let you buy the headphones and return them within 30 days. Just buy the RS1i and give them a listen. If this won't work for you, buy a pair of SR60i. They are cheap enough to hang onto and they exhibit that classic Grado sound (of course they lack the refinement of the high-end Grados).

225I are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back