Best way for audiophile to listen to music at a concert
Nov 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

coolpepper43

New Head-Fier
This year I have started to go to a lot of concerts and I am concerned about hearing loss. I tried using foam earplugs but the sound is very muffled and distorted. Is there something designed for audiophiles to listen to concerts while maintaining our audiophile hearing?

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 23
Yes....go to quieter shows.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 23
I'm pretty sure Etymotic makes earplugs designed to preserve relative frequencies. Westone might make them too, actually.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 23
bring a portable amp and your custom moulded IEMs and hook yourself directly to the soundboard
wink.gif

about those musicians earplugs... I bought a pair of them for about 40$, and while they mostly preserve relative frequency, they do roll off at high frequencies - something not so good for a grado/highs fanboy like me. maybe there are better solutions, I just have to find them...

oh, and about the attenuation: 20dB is often to much, except maybe if you plan to go to the Wacken openair festival. In my oppinion, concerts should be loud - louder than your average headphone listening - just not as loud as to damage your hearing. so 10-15dB at any sane concert should be enough to protect your ears. if a concert is quieter than your once-in-a-while rockout session with headphones, then it's not really enjoyable anymore. fortunately, my earplugs came with interchangeable filters, with about 10,15 and 20dB attenuation

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Er-20's, or get some customs. YOu may be able to get a tax deduction if you can some how make them " work related".

At a concert, the best way to listen would be out from under the balconies, center, right in front ( or behind) the soundboard. Best seat unless the sound engineer sucks!

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 23
I'm fond of the ~12$ "musician earplugs" that seem to be rebranded ety's - sold at musician's friend, zzounds, samedaymusic, etc.

Just put them in a good 15 minutes before the set starts so you have time to adjust to them.

something like: HEAROS.com

They won't attenuate perfectly flat - that's the price paid to keep your hearing.

It's worth it.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 23
The ER-20's are definitely a good investment for concerts.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 23
I have the Alpine MusicSafe Natural Sound Professional Musician's Ear Plugs (what a long name - and I also paid 15$ more than the price listed on the website).

they are very comfortable (far more comfortable than the cx300 iems), and also make a good seal. plus you get a total of 3 plugs and 6 interchangeable filters. but like the er-20, they have a higher attenuation at high frequencies, so they also have treble rolloff. but that seems to be a common problem with all earplugs, until you switch to the much more expensive custom moulded versions

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 23
i don't think the etys have a bad seal -- i think the issue is that they do such a good job of reducing the volume without distorting frequencies that it could appear that they don't fit well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back